homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:42 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
(for any purists, I know the lore is in complete disarray right now since Riot announced the League never existed. Since the majority of champions have no reason to exist now with no explanation forthcoming, I am ignoring the retcon and using the old lore)

Centuries ago, the continent of Runeterra suffered from perpetual war. As cities marched against each other, powerful mages on all sides supported their troops from the back lines. However, these were not just battle mages. These mages cast spells so powerful that the earth itself was torn apart, cities destroyed, rivers and lakes drained, and the fabric of reality itself shattered. These wars became known as the Rune Wars.

During a rare moment of silence, a shocking revelation was made: another Rune War would destroy Runeterra. The world simply could not bear the strain of the magic at work, and the very land the nations fought for would be destroyed. So, a council of nations was called and a radical solution was found. No longer would war rule the world. Instead, an international complex called the Institute of War would be built to house the greatest warriors and mages in the world. These fighters would carry out battles on Summoner’s Rift, a magical recreation of one of the many now destroyed battlefields. Aided by Summoners, who would guide the warriors in combat and cast spells to aid them, these champions would fight proxy wars so real nations would not go to war. The results of these fights would be binding and final. All the nation states, from the Freljord in the north to Shurima in the south, agreed this was necessary. It would be called the League of Legends.

---------

“Why do I have to go to this stupid meeting? It’s just some piece of land that no one really cares about.” Lux finished fitting her ornamental armor over her tunic. She never really understood why she had to wear it to formal meetings instead of the more traditional robes most mages wore. Sure, she may be a battle mage, but it’s not like anyone was going to attack them here at the Institute.

“Sister, there is no such thing as inconsequential land. We are Demacians. The light of Demacia must shine throughout Runeterra.”

Lux sighed. She loved her brother, but he was also kind of a tool. “I know. But I don’t see why they need me. I may not be the most senior ambassador here, but I’m senior enough that minor disputes shouldn’t be my job. Just send Shyvanna. She would do anything to make Jarvan happy. And no one would dare make her angry.”

Garen smirked. A half dragon let loose in the chambers would indeed end any disputes quickly. But it could not be, and they both knew it. The orders came from High Command itself. Lux and Garen, the figureheads of Demacia here at the Institute, were to represent the Crown at the meeting, along with Crown Prince Jarvan.

“Institute of War” was a misnomer. Yes, the battles done here were a proxy for war, but it had grown to be much more than just war games. Because the greatest generals and mages in the known world were drawn to the prestige of being a champion and representing their countries, the Institute quickly became a central location for scholarship and research. The library on the grounds, guarded by the terrifying giant dog Nasus (believe in the pimp cane), was the greatest in Valoran. There was a robust market surrounding the central grounds, and the Institute felt more like a small city than just a battle ground.

The buildings themselves spared no expense in their architecture. Towers rose above the landscape in physically impossible formations. It was in one of these towers that disputes were formally brought before the council. This particular meeting was about a small island, barely larger than the Institute itself that was recently discovered to the West of Runeterra. Normally no one would care about this island at all, but the explorers who found it reported wisps of purple energy occasionally appeared. This was indicative of Void energy. But this energy was relatively common in much more accessible places, such as the desert of Shurima. But Zaun claimed it for research, which meant that of course Demacia had to get involved, which meant Lux and Garen had to go to this meeting.

The Yordle moderating this particular meeting had been droning on for some time, explaining every single detail of the case. Truth be known, Lux felt as if she would have a hard time staying awake. Finally, the yordle got to the least boring, but not particularly interesting part.

“In the matter of the…Isle of the Void,” (“Not too creative. Must have been Noxians,” Lux thought) “Zaun has claimed ownership on the grounds that it is in neutral waters and Zaun has the most advanced Void energy research facilities. The Institute has determined this is a legitimate claim. Are there competing claims?”

Oddly enough, the most high profile members of each faction were at this meeting. Lux couldn’t understand why; maybe there was something that High Command neglected to put in their letter. Swain stood, limping on his cane with that vile raven perched on his shoulder. “In this matter Noxus has guaranteed claim, as its explorers found the Isle of the Void,” (“Nailed it”) “However, we relinquish our claim. Zaun may have ownership.” That made sense, thought Lux. If there was a war, Noxus and Zaun would be on the same side anyway, and Noxian necromancers had little use for Void energy.

Caitlyn from Piltover stood, her top hat perched firmly on her head. The Yordle eyed her carefully. It was no secret that Caitlyn was not fond of the residents of Bandle City. After all, on the battlefield she often baited her traps with cupcakes specifically to catch Yordles. She spoke in her odd Piltover elite accent, “The people of Piltover mistrust Zaun, but have no claim over this island. We will not challenge it.” Odd. Piltover usually opposed whatever Zaun did out of principle. Maybe they just figured that they couldn’t use Void energy, and it’s not like Zaun didn’t have supplies from elsewhere in Runeterra. Why bother with this?

Azir, the Emporer of Shurima stood. Lux was fascinated by the Emporer. The Shuriman Empire had fallen and been buried under the sand centuries ago, but was recently reborn when Azir rose from the grave, accidently became an ascended being, and reclaimed his throne. The residents of Shurima had flocked to their Emperor and had gained recognition from the Institute as a sovereign nation. He seemed nice enough, but he would never shut up about Shurima. “The glory of Shurima will never fade again and shines even now.”

The Yordle looked annoyed. “So you don’t dispute it?”

“Shurima.”

“That’s not an answer.”

“Shurima does not dispute it.”

Jarvan stood up, standing much taller than any other person in the room, “Demacia disputes the claim. Demacia holds claim to the seas between Runeterra and the Shadow Isles. The island must be purged of the evil that lurks there.”

“The League acknowledges the claim as legitimate. Matches will be scheduled for Summoner’s Rift in a timely manner.”

“Why do they even bother with these meetings?” thought Lux. “Any claim is recognized as legitimate, no matter how ridiculous. Maybe some theatrics could happen, but they never do. Why can’t we just send in letters?” Of course, she never let her lack of enthusiasm for the meeting show. She was a Crownguard, a member of one of the most noble families in Demacia. She was a trained diplomat, spy, and fighter. She knew what was expected of her. At this point, that was silence and correct posture.

Karma stood. Lux had always liked her. While Lux’s assignments usually required her to act like an airheaded blonde, she had always wished she could conduct herself like Karma. Cool, collected, yet with an air of authority that reminded you she could tear you apart with a single spellword. “Ionia will not dispute the claim. We caution against trying to harvest Void energy, but we reside on the other side of the continent.”

Gangplank, the fearsome pirate who held an obsession with oranges, stood. He looked like he had been drinking the night before but then that was true most days. “Bilgewater cares not far ye islands in the far seas. There’s no profit in the matter for a respectable gentleman like myself.” Lux could see Miss Fortune, a bounty hunter who held a distinct dislike for pirates, roll her eyes next to Gangplank. They may fight for the same faction, but they certainly were not friends.

“We dispute the claim,” came a voice from the other side of the room. Lux looked over, but didn’t see anyone standing. She realized it must be Bandle City’s turn. Sure enough, Rumble was talking, “Bandle City’s science is more advanced than anyone’s. We need the Void energy to keep ahead. If Zaun can claim the island for research, so can we.”

“The League acknowledges the claim as legitimate. Matches will be scheduled for Summoner’s Rift in a timely manner.”

Two to go. Karthus floated up from his chair, “The undead have no use for Void energy. We will not dispute the claim.”

Finally Ashe stood, much to the consternation of Sejuani, who sat beside her, despite an ongoing civil war. Like Bilgewater, the Kingdom of the Freijlord was only united in name. “The Freiljord will not dispute the claim.” Again, not surprising. Because of the political situation back home, the Northern kingdom tended to stay out of matters that did not directly impact them.

“Very well,” the yordle monotoned, clearly just as bored as Lux, “The claimants to the island will do battle of Summoner’s Rift to decide the matter. If there are no other matters at hand, this meeting…”

Just as the yordle was to call the meeting to the close, the doors to the chamber burst open. A twisted man, floating on a cloud of purple mist entered the room. His hood obscured his face, and he was covered head-to-toe in a robe that matched the purple of the mist. This was clearly Void magic. “I am Malzahar, the prophet of the Void. I am the herald of the destruction that comes to Valoran and I speak for the Void. We claim the island as our own as a homeland in this pathetic world.”

On either side of Mazahar were two abominations Lux recognized as the creatures from the Void. One, much larger than any being in the room, had four enormous legs and…was wearing a top hat and monocle? Lux double-checked, but he certainly was wearing a top hat, and at the knee of each of his insect-like legs was another top hat. Lux knew this was Cho-Gath, she had seen him many times on Summoner’s Rift. She shuddered at the thought of being eaten alive by him, as she had many times when her magic wasn’t quite quick enough. Of course, the magic on the Rift made sure she was always resurrected, but Lux never wanted to meet him in real combat.

“The Void has no claim in this matter,” began Jarvan, “It is not a recognized city state and must first petition for membership before joining in any disputes.”

The hideous being known as Cho’Gath opened his mouth, “You sir, are a coward and a ruffian!” Lux wasn’t quite sure why Cho’Gath was suddenly putting on the airs of high society, but she found it somewhat amusing. The shock of the Void suddenly taking an interest in League affairs, however, was much less so.

“Ah, Jarvan, always a pleasure. I so enjoy sucking the very soul from your body in battle,” the Prophet began, “But per League bylaws, because we are claiming this island as our homeland, claiming this island is a de facto petition for League membership. I believe the exact wording is, “a claim of one’s homeland that is currently occupied by invading forces, or is being claimed by one or more members of the League, when the claimant is not currently a member of the League, will act as a petition to membership and is not subject to the normal procedure.’ Of course, this was designed to protect the Solari and other minor nations, but it’s hardly specific is it? Void energy is on the island. That gives us claim as our homeland.”

There was a long pause as the group came to realize that Malzahar was probably correct, or at least plausible enough that the League would probably allow it. A sense of dread filled the room; the Void terrified everyone, even the delegation from the Shadow Isles.

The yordle had clearly been jolted awake by unexpectedly having to interpret League rules and actually work at one of these meetings. After a moment’s consideration, he announced much more enthusiastically, ““The League acknowledges the claim as legitimate. Matches will be scheduled for Summoner’s Rift in a timely manner.” The Yordle glanced at Jarvan, knowing that Demacia would resist the Void’s acceptance most bitterly, “There can be no appeal except by combat.”

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

Last edited by Incognito on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:44 am 

Rules:
(I'm too lazy to go through and change all of the uses of "character," so just know "character" and "champion" are interchangeable) Like most of my games, there is a long list of rules, but they are actually relatively simple on your end. I’ve designed it to be simple enough that you can play without a lot of thought, or you can really geek out on optimal strategies. The only thing this really requires is that you log on at least once per phase. If you have any questions, please ask. I also apologize for the four or so initial posts, but each are necessary. If you notice anything you think is game breaking, please let me know.

Teams:
There are four teams, Demacia, Zaun, The Void, and Bandle City. Everyone will be assigned to a team at random. Each team has five characters on its roster, which you will note makes a total number of characters greater than players. Each person chooses a character to play for that night/day cycle by PMing me. A character can only be chosen by one person, so I would prefer if you would PM me your top two or three to avoid conflicts. Of course, you should be coordinating with your teammates to make sure this doesn’t happen. You can change your character at the end of each day cycle. A team must always have one core champion on the fields.

Winning:
You win by being the last faction standing. A faction is eliminated when its last core champion (original five on the roster) is killed, regardless of how many neutral champions they have recruited.

Night phase:
The “night phase” is the simulated combat on Summoner’s Rift. In League its usually two teams of five, but I had to take some liberties. Any character that dies during this phase is unplayable for the rest of the game. Here are the rules for nights:
1) Each character has three components to their night phase that they must PM me: basic attack, basic ability, and ultimate ability. Some have a fourth through their class power. When PMing me, target players, not champions. Basic attacks and basic abilities may be used every night, but ultimates only once (unless otherwise stated in your PM). Basic attacks only do damage to one target, while basic abilities usually do damage to multiple enemies or have some other modifier. Ultimate abilities are game-changing abilities that can do anything from keep an entire team from attacking to bringing someone back from the dead. I will keep track of who has used their ultimate on the characters post.
2) Characters are killed when their HP reaches zero. If a character is swapped out at the end of a day, when they return to the battlefield they have full health. So the only way to kill someone via combat is to nuke them all at once. If a champion stays on the battlefield, they retain their current level of HP.
3) There are five classes of characters, each with specific roles and class power. They are mage, marksman, tank, fighter, and support. Their attributes are as follows:
Mage- HP: 4, Class power: Assassinate- If a mage attacks an unprotected marksman, support, or mage, it will do 50% bonus damage (this is cancelled by all damage-cancelling abilities, “unprotected” is defined as not the recipient of an allied class ability or basic ability)
Marskman- HP: 4, Class power: Critical hit- Every basic attack has a chance to critically hit, dealing double damage. This chance increases the longer the game goes on.
Tank- HP: 7, Class power: Meat shield- The tank may choose to protect a teammate, absorbing half of the damage that the teammate would have taken that night.
Fighter: HP: 5, Class power: Disruption- A fighter has a 33% chance to cancel the meat shield ability of the tank that attempts to redirect his/her damage.
Support: HP: 5, Class power- Peel- A support may select to protect a teammate, having a 50% chance to cancel the first attack made against them.
4) Unless otherwise stated in role PMs, night actions are resolved in order of Combat Strength (more on that later). In the case of any contradictions, role PMs supersede these rules.

Faction Power:
In addition to combat abilities, each character has “points” in three powers: Combat Power, Political Prowess, and League Favor. These are used for combat, day voting, and recruiting new characters. A team’s total power in each of these areas is determined by adding together their three selected characters’ stats in each area. Rankings will be announced at the beginning of each phase. They are used as follows:
Combat power: Combat power determines whose night actions are resolved first, unless otherwise stated in role PMs. Class powers are always resolved first, regardless of combat power. You will note this makes most disruption basic abilities and ultimates near useless. This is intentional.
Political Prowess: This is used for day voting. The team who has the most prowess has their votes multiplied by four, third by three, and so on.
League Favor: League favor is used to recruit new characters. Every day, one or more neutral champions will be introduced to the League, and the members will bid for those champions. I will name team captains at the beginning of the game and they will be responsible for submitting the bids for the team. Captains will be chosen based on how active I expect you to be, based on past experience. If you do not want to be a captain, let me know. Teams may split their votes among as many characters as they which. Simple plurality determines which faction gets the champion. You will note that no team starts with a support. They can only be recruited.

Day phase:
During the day phase, everyone may vote for a champion to remove from the game. You are voting for champions, not players. You may not vote off the last core character of any faction. They can only be killed in combat. During the day the team captain also must PM me his/her bids for new champions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:45 am 

Innnn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:50 am 

Players:
1. marinadelayne
2. ShaynePC
3. zZzSapphireBluezZz
4. Mr. E
5. CalebAshley
6. anortan
7. Evan
8. Effervescent
9. Hammy
10. maranathaman
11. Sharkfin
12. Jonah.a.barnes

Current rosters (green is currently in use, red is eliminated, "N" denotes neutral, "U" denotes ultimate is unavailable):
Demacia:
Jarvan IV- Fighter
Garen- Tank
Lux- Mage
Galio- Tank
Lucian- Marksman

Zaun:
Singed- Tank
Viktor- Mage
Zac- Tank
Dr. Mundo- Tank
Twitch- Marksman

Bandle City:
Teemo- Mage, U
Tristana- Marksman
Rumble- Fighter
Gnar- Tank, U
Veigar- Mage

Roster:
Kha’Zix- Fighter
Rek'Sai- Fighter
Kog’Maw- Marksman
Cho’Gath- Tank
Vel’Koz- Mage

Neutral champions in the next vote:
Zilean- Support
Fiddlesticks- Mage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:52 am 

Location: Flickering between dimensions and always returning to somewhere in Tennessee.
I haven't even read it and I'm in.

No Jinx or Morgana. :cry:

Region 7 - NCFCA

| Huckabay/Stewart | 2012-2013, UN Year |
| Huckabay/Stewart | 2013-2014, Election Law Year |
| Huckabay/Vest | 2014-2015, Middle East Year |
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:06 am 

YES I'm in.

Pleez don't make me Demacia....

I have no life and Nuna is the kindest.
Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:14 am 

I'm in

Hammy wrote:
Also, Cashley died in a hole. I don't know why you keep trusting him. I mean sure he's super good at mafia and knows exactly what he's doing, but I feel like maybe some game you would just not trust him. :P Props to you Cashley, always making my games exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:43 am 
Guardian of the Black Room

In? Yeah. Let's do this. I won't regret it... right?

Don't trust Cashley.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:47 am 

anorton wrote:

Don't trust Cashley.
Is it bad that this makes me kinda happy? ;P #yaykarma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:04 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Haven't read a word of the OPs yet, but in anyway. Because why the heck not.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:26 am 

I never knew about all this lore! I started getting interested in LoL when you put up the poll, but now I really want to play it!

I have no life and Nuna is the kindest.
Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:36 am 

marinadelayne wrote:
anorton wrote:

Don't trust Cashley.

Why do you care? Andrew didn't betray you just your sister lol.

Hammy wrote:
Also, Cashley died in a hole. I don't know why you keep trusting him. I mean sure he's super good at mafia and knows exactly what he's doing, but I feel like maybe some game you would just not trust him. :P Props to you Cashley, always making my games exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:39 am 

CalebAshley wrote:
marinadelayne wrote:
anorton wrote:

Don't trust Cashley.

Why do you care? Andrew didn't betray you just your sister lol.
I will not correc--i mean, contradict--you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:44 am 

In!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:06 am 

I have such a bad impression of this game after listening to my co-workers gush about it, but whatever, I'm in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:30 am 

I'm definitely in!

Job 13:18 "Behold, I have prepared my case; I know that I shall be in the right."
Proverbs 18:17 "The first to plead his case seems just, until another comes and [cross-]examines him."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:33 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
In.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 pm 

In.

2014-2015 | Barnes/Spence
2015-2016 | Amedick/Barnes (2.0)
2016-2017 | Amedick/Barnes
2017-2018 | Amedick/Barnes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:25 pm 

Sweet. We've hit the minimum. Keep signing up and if we have enough I can either add another side or give each team an extra person.

Just fyi,your role pms will be your side plus a link to a Google doc with your champions. I will keep them public so you can share them with other teams if you want. Let me know if you can't access Google docs and I can pm you the info.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:39 am 

I will be keeping signups open through Saturday. Truth be known, I haven't finished writing the Void yet, since I didn't expect tha many people to sign up that quickly.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 Next