homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:16 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Weird LD Tips Please
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:11 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
I've been an LD enthusiast for about 4 years (even while not competing and when I did TP), and when I debate, I do everything Keys to LD and my coach says, but I still don't do particularly well. Are there any experienced LDers have anything that helps you do well that no one ever talks about?

Thanks. :mrgreen:

2012-2013 Speech only
2013-2014 Florez/Ketcham
2014-2015 Lincoln-Douglas
2015-2016 Lincoln-Douglas

“When in doubt, go to the library.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Post subject: Re: Weird LD Tips Please
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:29 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

LD Chick wrote:
I've been an LD enthusiast for about 4 years (even while not competing and when I did TP), and when I debate, I do everything Keys to LD and my coach says, but I still don't do particularly well. Are there any experienced LDers have anything that helps you do well that no one ever talks about?

Good question. :) Expound upon what you mean by "I do everything keys to LD and my coach says" please. Is this, perhaps, a question of not just simply "doing" but also actually "learning" LD? Learning how to think, rather than what to think?

Also, my offer still stands that if you're interested, I could help you reach your potential with my coaching service. :) www.ebsd.us

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:32 pm 

I think one of the best tips I have ever received is just be personable and be yourself (unless you are not personable ;) ) I think trying to implement a ton of strategies and trying to remember tips and what to do/what not to do hinders genuine communication with the judge. Talk naturally, be friendly with the judge and your opponent. And make the debate personal and understandable for the judge. I have tried in the past to be as professional and do as much as I can to look like the best debater ever, but it almost never works. However, at tournaments like NC when I was just myself my success rate dramatically increased. I wasn't worried about the nitty gritty details of the debate and because of that I was able to step back and communicate effectively with the judge. Hope that helps :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:07 pm 

Evan wrote:
LD Chick wrote:

Good question. :) Expound upon what you mean by "I do everything keys to LD and my coach says" please. Is this, perhaps, a question of not just simply "doing" but also actually "learning" LD? Learning how to think, rather than what to think?

Also, my offer still stands that if you're interested, I could help you reach your potential with my coaching service. :) http://www.ebsd.us

I've basically been taught the fundamentals of LD and debate in general and try to implement them as much as I can, yet I don't have great results to speak of. Technically, I know what I need to, but practically, I'm missing something.

Thanks, I didn't see the notification before I posted this. I'm checking out you're website now, though I don't think my parents will be able to afford coaching with all the tournaments we plan to attend.

2012-2013 Speech only
2013-2014 Florez/Ketcham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:11 pm 

NerdRipper7 wrote:
I think one of the best tips I have ever received is just be personable and be yourself (unless you are not personable ;) ) I think trying to implement a ton of strategies and trying to remember tips and what to do/what not to do hinders genuine communication with the judge. Talk naturally, be friendly with the judge and your opponent. And make the debate personal and understandable for the judge. I have tried in the past to be as professional and do as much as I can to look like the best debater ever, but it almost never works. However, at tournaments like NC when I was just myself my success rate dramatically increased. I wasn't worried about the nitty gritty details of the debate and because of that I was able to step back and communicate effectively with the judge. Hope that helps :)

Thanks! This is something I need to pay careful attention to. My old TP coaches used to stress flowing, so even in LD, my speeches are kind of rigid and depersonalized.

2012-2013 Speech only
2013-2014 Florez/Ketcham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:35 am 

I competed in LD for three years with some success. There really is no one "thing" that you can implement and have subsequent success. I definitely agree with Noah, though. Be yourself, because judges will see through you. Going off of that, try to find/write a case that you believe in. Obviously you'll have one side you agree with more, but you should still find a way to make both your aff and neg believable. The best way to do that is believe in it yourself.

A couple other things: avoid cliches--be original (that quote or example everyone uses is not always the most effective way to demonstrate a point); refute, refute, refute (so many LDer's entirely neglect this aspect of debate. Do not fall into that trap, it's lazy debating); and don't forget your value (it's literally the point of your case. Every argument should tie back into your value.)

I hope that's helpful! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I love giving feedback and critiquing for LD, I miss coaching a lot.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:52 am 

SavyAvy wrote:
I competed in LD for three years with some success. There really is no one "thing" that you can implement and have subsequent success. I definitely agree with Noah, though. Be yourself, because judges will see through you. Going off of that, try to find/write a case that you believe in. Obviously you'll have one side you agree with more, but you should still find a way to make both your aff and neg believable. The best way to do that is believe in it yourself.

A couple other things: avoid cliches--be original (that quote or example everyone uses is not always the most effective way to demonstrate a point); refute, refute, refute (so many LDer's entirely neglect this aspect of debate. Do not fall into that trap, it's lazy debating); and don't forget your value (it's literally the point of your case. Every argument should tie back into your value.)

I hope that's helpful! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I love giving feedback and critiquing for LD, I miss coaching a lot.

Thank you so much! Those are really important things that everyone forgets.

2012-2013 Speech only
2013-2014 Florez/Ketcham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:50 am 
Hint hint peoples.

LD Chick wrote:
Evan wrote:
LD Chick wrote:

Also, my offer still stands that if you're interested, I could help you reach your potential with my coaching service. :) http://www.ebsd.us

I've basically been taught the fundamentals of LD and debate in general and try to implement them as much as I can, yet I don't have great results to speak of. Technically, I know what I need to, but practically, I'm missing something.

Thanks, I didn't see the notification before I posted this. I'm checking out you're website now, though I don't think my parents will be able to afford coaching with all the tournaments we plan to attend.

Ah. I get you. What Noah and Savy said are both excellent posts of advice. I know from both personal experience and observing others that being yourself and enjoying debate will get you much further than a binder full of briefs. What I'd add is that from a judge's perspective, LD is more about how you deliver arguments than what you actually say. Don't get me wrong, you still need to have a solid case and good logical presentation; but many LD judges do litigate solely or mostly on speaks (which is unfortunate IMHO but a reality you need to compensate for). Hence, you should concentrate on improving your speaks if you find you have a lot of knowledge but are struggling to communicate the points in a way the judge buys.

Also, while LD doesn't require evidence cards, do as much research as possible. Bring quotes and citations into the round. I did two years of TP before I switched to LD, and thus I brought over my evidence gathering abilities into LD, which significantly helped my endeavors.

Completely understandable. Even if you're not able to this year, perhaps you could pass along word of my service to your friends and competitors who may be interested? :)

Edit: Check out this thread for some additional tips on the transition from TP to LD. :)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:09 pm 

Okay, so I'm a bit late to the advice party. I hope you're having a fantastic season. After five years in LD there's one nugget of truth I can't help but give

Be flexible

Write all your briefs, learn all the strategies, watch all the videos, any piece of information that clicks and is effective. At the end of the day, though, there are no Rules of Winning Rounds or Secrets to Being Awesome (other than this one, I suppose). There is just a scale of effective and not effective and you can move up and down that scale all you want as long as you don't wander into "unethical".

The goal of debate, imho, is to learn what you believe, about humanity, and how to argue/think critically. In order to do those things we have created a sport of sorts. There are basic rules to that sport (don't go over the timer, can't receive or send info during the round) and basic communication guidelines (speak persuasively, organize, impact arguments) but I truly believe at the top of the effectiveness scale is flexibility.
I have terribly failed at flexibility in the past. Trust me, its important.

Flexibility means:
Being able to use raw thought to debate new cases/ideas you weren't expecting
Practicing thinking on your feet when your pre-prepped CXQ's fall through.
Not letting the fact lunch was delayed make you a grump during the afternoon round
If you have a facially responsive judge, putting the most effort into arguments they positively respond to and being ready to put aside the ones they literally raised their eyebrows at.
Managing your time and not becoming dependent on a rigid schedule of points/questions
Being ready to accept new debate theology
Taking everything on face value, not rejecting new ideas just because its not the way "its always been done".
Going with the flow if your opponent does something "weird"
Letting go of an analogy you love but that doesn't make sense to anyone but you (I'm very guilty of this one).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:21 pm 

kymac713 wrote:
Okay, so I'm a bit late to the advice party. I hope you're having a fantastic season. After five years in LD there's one nugget of truth I can't help but give

Be flexible

Write all your briefs, learn all the strategies, watch all the videos, any piece of information that clicks and is effective. At the end of the day, though, there are no Rules of Winning Rounds or Secrets to Being Awesome (other than this one, I suppose). There is just a scale of effective and not effective and you can move up and down that scale all you want as long as you don't wander into "unethical".

The goal of debate, imho, is to learn what you believe, about humanity, and how to argue/think critically. In order to do those things we have created a sport of sorts. There are basic rules to that sport (don't go over the timer, can't receive or send info during the round) and basic communication guidelines (speak persuasively, organize, impact arguments) but I truly believe at the top of the effectiveness scale is flexibility.
I have terribly failed at flexibility in the past. Trust me, its important.

Flexibility means:
Being able to use raw thought to debate new cases/ideas you weren't expecting
Practicing thinking on your feet when your pre-prepped CXQ's fall through.
Not letting the fact lunch was delayed make you a grump during the afternoon round
If you have a facially responsive judge, putting the most effort into arguments they positively respond to and being ready to put aside the ones they literally raised their eyebrows at.
Managing your time and not becoming dependent on a rigid schedule of points/questions
Being ready to accept new debate theology
Taking everything on face value, not rejecting new ideas just because its not the way "its always been done".
Going with the flow if your opponent does something "weird"
Letting go of an analogy you love but that doesn't make sense to anyone but you (I'm very guilty of this one).

Whoa, thank you! I'm not really prepping for the upcoming tournament, but I'll keep this all in mind in my rounds. :D

2012-2013 Speech only
2013-2014 Florez/Ketcham