homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:39 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Would you like to Debate this Resolution?
Yes 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
I don't care 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
I am not going to answer this poll 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
Total votes: 16
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:32 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
To my fellow LDers, (and to those who betrayed LD this year bc of the lame resolution)
So I was recently pondering the lameness of this year's NCFCA LD resolution and I was like hey why not submit my own idea this year (like I did last year and the year before that) so here is my resolution idea "Resolved: National Sovereignty ought to be valued above International Law." I think this resolution would be both relevant and interesting and I believe it would be fun and insightful to debate and judge. Arguments under this resolution would address organizations such as the U.N. and NATO as well as principles like military intervention and neutrality. I personally would love to debate this resolution. What are y'alls (yes I am from the south) thoughts?

P.S. Also if you endorse this resolution and would like to help me put it on the resolution docket for next year :D . Go to this link http://www.ncfca.org/debate-committee/ and send something along these lines

Dear Debate Committee,
I was recently told of the Lincoln-Douglas resolution idea that Noah Foster submitted last year and I would like it to be considered as one of the three options this year. The resolution he submitted was "Resolved: National Sovereignty ought to be valued above International Law." I think this resolution would be both relevant and interesting and I believe it would be fun and insightful to debate and judge. Arguments under this resolution would address organizations such as the U.N. and NATO as well as principles and policies such as military intervention and neutrality. I hope that this LD resolution idea will be seriously consider and I look forward to seeing the three resolution options after regionals. Sincerely, (Your Name)

Last edited by NerdRipper7 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:36 pm 

The Founding Fathers wrote:
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land
If you are coming from a constitutional perspective, this debate is entirely one-sided. The Constitution, and laws and treaties made in pursuance of the constitution, are the supreme law of the land. If an organization tries to counter-act that then it is null from a US perspective. I won't be debating next year, but I wouldn't be enticed from TP if I were--it seems to have the same type of balance that last years resolution did (Yes, Neg can win, but probably won't most of the time).
The Poll wrote:
I am not going to answer this poll 50% [ 1 ]
Someone already messed up :)

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:16 am 

Voice of Reason wrote:
The Founding Fathers wrote:
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land
If you are coming from a constitutional perspective, this debate is entirely one-sided. The Constitution, and laws and treaties made in pursuance of the constitution, are the supreme law of the land. If an organization tries to counter-act that then it is null from a US perspective. I won't be debating next year, but I wouldn't be enticed from TP if I were--it seems to have the same type of balance that last years resolution did (Yes, Neg can win, but probably won't most of the time).

First of all, LD is always global not specifically america unless specified. Secondly, The constitution is often wrong, i.e. slavery. And thirdly, who cares what the constitution says the questions is which is more valuable not which is currently american policy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:32 am 

NerdRipper7 wrote:
First of all, LD is always global not specifically america unless specified.
True, I don't really mind that.
Quote:
Secondly, The constitution is often wrong, i.e. slavery.
I would differ on the idea that it is often wrong-one or two things are objectionable (income tax for me). But the Constitution was founded upon core and largely-unchangeable principles that still hold true today. Most judges would have this in the back of their mind.
Quote:
And thirdly, who cares what the constitution says, the question is which is more valuable not which is currently american policy.
I care what the constitution says because it makes sense. And what you say is true, you can definitely make it an LD subject, but that doesn't mean it isn't one-sided.
Don't get me wrong, I'd support putting this up for a vote to the NCFCA community, and I think it could produce some valuable debates (I would want every homeschooler to know why exactly a global government is a bad idea). But I think it would quickly exhaust its profitability. I can say that when I'm a judge next year it would be hard to eliminate my bias on the subject. So I can't answer "yes" to your poll question, though I think it covers an important subject.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:55 am 
Forerunner

This title was a turn off tbh

Liberty University

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:14 pm