homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:11 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
This thread needs to happen.

This is just a beginning, but here are three who pop to mind.

Brett Hungar: Well first of all Brett is awesome and stuff in general. Secondly he has won regionals 2 of the last 3 years. He has a clear and fast speaking style and always makes great arguments.

Caleb Paul: The most gracious LD debater I have ever seen. He is extremely well researched and makes well supported arguments. Also is an amazing speaker who can go fast or slow depending on round.

Jane White: Always has amazing numbers and evidence for all of her arguments. She is very logical and clear in every round. I can't imagine a judge ever wanting to vote against her.

Hammy wrote:
Also, Cashley died in a hole. I don't know why you keep trusting him. I mean sure he's super good at mafia and knows exactly what he's doing, but I feel like maybe some game you would just not trust him. :P Props to you Cashley, always making my games exciting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:04 am 

This is a pre-Regionals assessment, so we'll see what happens this weekend.

Katie Martin Our region happens to be blessed with three National Open champions competing this year and Katie is one of them (Minnesota and Idaho last year). Her dominating our last Regional qualifier with very little prep prior goes to show you that she still is a phenomenal debater. She easily simplifies her opponent's arguments in easy-to-follow speeches. Stellar organization, stellar speaker. Also, Katie is a marvelous human being.

Joseph Abell Joseph has made it to semis at every qualifier this year, except the last tournament when he made it to finals and hit Katie. I've never seen someone so absolutely obsessed with and dedicated to debate. His cases are very unique, but strong. He's also a fantastic and intense speaker. Being fourth in at large right now, he's almost guaranteed a slot to nats.

Cole Headrick Easily the nicest LDer in our Region, Cole is a very smooth, articulate speaker with strong cases and responses. He also never gets flustered ever, which I find impressive. Plus, he's ethical, which is really a rarity in R7 (Joe and Katie are too, btw). He's first in at large, I believe, after making it to finals at two qualifiers and winning one.

There are other strong debaters in our region that I haven't seen before so I can't personally testify of their skills, but they're definitely there. Like MaryKathryn Samelson and Michael Tant. Anyways. Regionals will be fun. We'll see if these guys get the slots they deserve.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:31 am 

Well, this is my first year in debate, so I'm probably not a great judge, but here's my take on R2:

Gabe Hooper: This guy has mad skillz. Gabe is a super chill speaker; you pretty much just want to agree with the stuff he says. I debated him in finals at our second qualifier, and he did an excellent job responding to every argument I made (and needless to say, he won). He's also very logical and well-researched. He has won 2 of our qualifiers and the ID Open; he took 2nd at Regs. I think he'll be a contender at Nats.

Wayne Hurty: Wayne is probably the most logical dude you'll ever meet. He seriously has a mind like a steel trap; he knows his arguments forward and backward and also has great research. He took 4th at Nats last year, and though he hasn't been at the top of his game this season, he got back in his groove and won Regs. Watch out for him at Nats.

Danek Black: Danek is a cool debater with a cool name. I debated him many times this season, including one qualifier final, and he is the bomb. Logical, smooth, and well-researched; he has pretty good speaks but knows how to win on arguments and not just presentation. He won one of our qualifiers, took 6th at Regs and will be competing at Nats.

Benjamin Crosby: Benjamin is young but ferocious. He's only in his freshman year, but his speaking is top-notch and his argumentation is solid. I debated him at Regs for the first time, and he was solid; he knows his logic well and has good support from philosophers. To everyone's shock he didn't break at Regs, but he won our largest qualifier and will be receiving an at-large slot. I think he's accepting it but I'm not sure.

Kay Hall: Kay has been competing for a while now, and she knows how to make you agree with everything she says. She's logical, well-researched, and an excellent presenter. She took 4th at Regs and will be at Nats.

There are other great debaters, but these are the top few that come to mind.

"Everything in this world is either a potato... or not a potato."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:34 pm 

There's also Silent Jeffery. He's the dude you debate whenever you get the bye. He doesn't really say much. I heard he qualified to Nats. No clue how though... I'm pretty sure he's never won a round, and he's been competing since the league was founded...

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:40 pm 

CalebAshley wrote:
Brett Hungar: Well first of all Brett is awesome and stuff in general. Secondly he has won regionals 2 of the last 3 years. He has a clear and fast speaking style and always makes great arguments.
Ditto-ing this. The child has won regionals at LD both years he has competed in LD. Which is, y'know, just a bit impressive.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:09 am 

I want to name some people from RIV...

Ethan Riojas: He just won our Regional Invitational, beating out Lisa Scott in finals, who won Regs last year and whose brother won Regs the year before. Ethan has won 2 tournaments in speaks, and I've always described him as having a voice that resonates as if he is reading a story to you; it's beautiful. He's going to prep hard for the Championship next month. He's very balanced argument-wise, using principles and real-world applications pretty evenly.

Matt Rosa: Is there really much to say about this guy? Rosa/Rosa two years ago was one of the best teams in our region (although nationally they didn't have much success) and Rosa/Warren last year was an incredible team that won 3 tournaments in a row, one of which was the MN open. Matt has transitioned very well, not using "evidence" unless asked for it. His speaking style is policy-like, which really doesn't harm him. His heavy use of aggression has also intimidated many a debater. He is a large threat to have on your radar.

Lisa Scott: I expected Lisa to break at National's last year, especially after winning our Invitational. She didn't, but this year, she's back, and I can guarantee you, she's determined not to let that happen again. Her slow, formal, and professional speaking style appeals widely, and she comes across as someone who has ideas that are very well thought-out (they are). I compare her to myself, someone who does not rely heavily on the applications of the principles but on the principles themselves.

These 3 are the powerhouses of our region; it's no surprise they came in the top 3 at the Invitational.

2013-14: Stephen Frantz (LD)11th at National Championship
2014-15: Stephen Frantz (LD)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:55 pm 

A few from Region 8 that haven't been mentioned yet.

Lawson Mansell: This guy is awesome. And scary. And really nice. He'll deconstruct your arguments till there's practically nothing there, but he's really respectful while doing it and super engaging.

Clare Downing: Clare's crazy smart, super organized, and quite quick on her feet. She's done consistently well at qualifiers and Regionals this year, and for good reason. She's a serious threat to anyone heading to Nats.

Shannon Wade: Sadly, I don't think Shannon is going to Nats this year, but she's still incredible. She knows how to handle a debate round and her arguments are scary good.

This isn't all the good R8ers, but I haven't seen these mentioned yet, so I wanted to give them a shout-out.

2012-2013: LD, 14th at Regionals
2013-2014: LD, 2nd at Nationals
2014-2015: LD, 1st at Regionals

https://contendacademy.com

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:07 pm 

I second all of Ben's R2 analysis except for that Kay Hall chick. She's not nearly as good as people say. Take it from me.

I'd also like to add Ben Vincent to the list. He's a novice, but he's done extremely well this year, with good reason. His speaking is clear and he has an excellent logical flow to his speeches that makes him enjoyable to listen to. His use of word pictures and simple explanations is unparalleled and I generally find him well-reasoned, articulate, and knowledgeable about everything he brings up. Ben is certainly a force to be reckoned with.

Cady Crosby is also Nationals-bound, and she throughly deserves her slot. I have not personally seen her debate yet this year, but based on my knowledge of her (and the fear in the eyes of those whose names end up across from hers on postings), I can reasonably say that she is intelligent, articulate, and very well-versed in economics. She's passionate about her subject matter and communicates that convincingly to her judges.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:57 pm 

Effervescent wrote:
I second all of Ben's R2 analysis except for that Kay Hall chick. She's not nearly as good as people say. Take it from me.

I'd also like to add Ben Vincent to the list. He's a novice, but he's done extremely well this year, with good reason. His speaking is clear and he has an excellent logical flow to his speeches that makes him enjoyable to listen to. His use of word pictures and simple explanations is unparalleled and I generally find him well-reasoned, articulate, and knowledgeable about everything he brings up. Ben is certainly a force to be reckoned with.

Cady Crosby is also Nationals-bound, and she throughly deserves her slot. I have not personally seen her debate yet this year, but based on my knowledge of her (and the fear in the eyes of those whose names end up across from hers on postings), I can reasonably say that she is intelligent, articulate, and very well-versed in economics. She's passionate about her subject matter and communicates that convincingly to her judges.

Cady definitely seconded. And Kay Hall reaffirmed :D

This Ben fellow sounds like someone I should meet...