homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:53 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:38 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Hey Y'all,

It doesn't seem like people really post on here much anymore, but for those who are, I have a question.

I'm a novice in my first year of LD in NCFCA. I've never attended an Open, so I don't really have a clue who the big threats are outside of my region (R2). I'm going to the ID Open next week, and I'm curious: who are the biggest threats in LD this season? (Please don't post yourself, that's obnoxious.) The ID Open is pretty small as Opens go, but there are a fair number of LD names I don't know, and I'm wondering who's a big threat.

-Ben V. (R2 NCFCA)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:47 pm 

MaryKathryn Collins, Stephen Frantz, Kaitlyn Simon and Katie Martin are all super good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:00 pm 

Who won the other two Opens in LD?

"Everything in this world is either a potato... or not a potato."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:08 pm 

Noah Foster won the NC Open (beating Stephen Frantz in finals) and Chris Ostertag won the MA Open. Neither will be going to Idaho.

Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2012-13
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2013-14
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2014-15
Barndt/Blacklock | Arete, R10 | 2015-16
Barndt/Cuddeback | 2016-17

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
I'm inclined to think like Andrew does.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:14 pm 

The Pumaman wrote:
Noah Foster won the NC Open (beating Stephen Frantz in finals) and Chris Ostertag won the MA Open. Neither will be going to Idaho.

Well, I guess that's good. But Frantz was in finals in NC? He'll be in Idaho. Sounds dangerous. Do you know who went aff in NC finals?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:24 pm 

BenVincent wrote:
The Pumaman wrote:

Well, I guess that's good. But Frantz was in finals in NC? He'll be in Idaho. Sounds dangerous. Do you know who went aff in NC finals?

Noah was aff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:38 pm 

Now that I've looked closer, there are actually only 15 LD-ers coming to the ID Open that are from outside R2. There are 18 LD-ers from R2. That makes only 33 teams. From R2, we've got Gabe Hooper, Benjamin Crosby, Connor Thompson, Danek Black, Harvey Breaux, Wayne Hurty, Aine Currigan, Daniel Bello, and Kay Hall that are usually pretty high-placing at qualifiers. Wayne took 4th at Nats last year, and Gabe Hooper broke at Nats but got eliminated in Double-Octas. Looking at the results from Nats, it looks look Stephen Frantz took 11th last year and Mary-Katherine Collins took 9th.

Sounds like we've got some contenders. But man, I wish the ID Open was going to be bigger overall. It's only qualifier-sized, and we have so few LD-ers in R2.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:42 am 

BenVincent wrote:
Now that I've looked closer, there are actually only 15 LD-ers coming to the ID Open that are from outside R2. There are 18 LD-ers from R2. That makes only 33 teams. From R2, we've got Gabe Hooper, Benjamin Crosby, Connor Thompson, Danek Black, Harvey Breaux, Wayne Hurty, Aine Currigan, Daniel Bello, and Kay Hall that are usually pretty high-placing at qualifiers. Wayne took 4th at Nats last year, and Gabe Hooper broke at Nats but got eliminated in Double-Octas. Looking at the results from Nats, it looks look Stephen Frantz took 11th last year and Mary-Katherine Collins took 9th.

Sounds like we've got some contenders. But man, I wish the ID Open was going to be bigger overall. It's only qualifier-sized, and we have so few LD-ers in R2.

Wayne Hurty is really good, and a confident debater. I debated Gabe twice at Nats last year, he's pretty good too. He went 6-0 at Regionals. I also hit Stephen at Nats. He beat me in pre-lims, and he's a very witty debater. Also, pretty sure Ben Crosby got to semis or finals at Idaho last year. So yeah, definitely some strong competition. Good luck! Opens are a lot of fun.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:49 am 
Forerunner

Honestly I find this threat subject line humorous.

Nobody is a "threat" or should be treated like one, this is homeschool debate.

Liberty University

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:16 am 

Forerunner wrote:

Speaking of homeschool debate, here's some semantics.

Ethos is also pretty cool, you should check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:35 am 

Forerunner wrote:

As the dude who created the thread, I will clarify:

I mean debaters who have a high probability of utterly destroying my every argument in a debate round.

I should have defined my terms. So:

"For the purpose of clarity, I'd like to define a few terms. First, 'threat,' which the Ben Vincent Dictionary of Deadly Debate Terms defines as "a debater with a high probability of crushing your arguments in a round."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:39 am 

SavyAvy wrote:
BenVincent wrote:

Wayne Hurty is really good, and a confident debater. I debated Gabe twice at Nats last year, he's pretty good too. He went 6-0 at Regionals. I also hit Stephen at Nats. He beat me in pre-lims, and he's a very witty debater. Also, pretty sure Ben Crosby got to semis or finals at Idaho last year. So yeah, definitely some strong competition. Good luck! Opens are a lot of fun.

Yeah, Wayne is very good. He eliminated me in quarters at our first qualifier this year (though I've beat him twice since then). Gabe's also good; he beat me in finals at our second qualifier. I've never debated Ben Crosby, but he won our third qualifier this year and I know he did well last year.

The thing about there being so few LD'ers is I'm more likely to hit the good ones. So that's not necessarily a good thing. Plus, less chances to try out my cases on debaters from out-of-region. Oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:52 am 

BenVincent wrote:

The thing about there being so few LD'ers is I'm more likely to hit the good ones. So that's not necessarily a good thing. Plus, less chances to try out my cases on debaters from out-of-region. Oh well.

This is true. But I'm sure you'll still get a chance to hear other region's arguments. Also, I have never noticed a huge difference between regions as far as their cases and argumentation. It seems to always come down to several main points by the end.

And I'd like to mention a "threat." Joseph Abell. He is one of the best debaters I've ever seen ever. He responds to every single argument (like never drops one), speaks very confidently and clearly, and somehow still injects a fair amount of humor in the round. He didn't break at Boston (because judges like speakers who sound nice and chill as opposed to debaters who actually refute), but he would destroy you (not specifically you, OP, but basically anyone) in argumentation. He's also just awesome.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:57 am 

SavyAvy wrote:
And I'd like to mention a "threat." Joseph Abell. He is one of the best debaters I've ever seen ever. He responds to every single argument (like never drops one), speaks very confidently and clearly, and somehow still injects a fair amount of humor in the round. He didn't break at Boston (because judges like speakers who sound nice and chill as opposed to debaters who actually refute), but he would destroy you (not specifically you, OP, but basically anyone) in argumentation. He's also just awesome.

He's also not going so you're safe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:23 am 

y-man23 wrote:
SavyAvy wrote:

You have no idea how happy I was when you said he ain't coming. 'Cuz after reading Sav's post I was all like, "Well, it's been nice knowing you, world." But now I'm more like, "Well, I'll probably get slaughtered anyway, but not by afore-mentioned-debater-from-my-nightmares.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:24 am 

y-man23 wrote:
SavyAvy wrote:

But the point is that he is good. And the thread asked for threats in general, not just Idaho, gosh.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:29 am 

BTW Sav, I saw you at Nats last year in your round against Nikki, and you did great (of course I wasn't even a debater then, so what did I know?). Though I didn't watch the Finals round (go figure). So I hereby place Sav on my threat list. As if that wasn't a given based on the "National Champion" label on all her posts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:44 am 

BenVincent wrote:
BTW Sav, I saw you at Nats last year in your round against Nikki, and you did great (of course I wasn't even a debater then, so what did I know?). Though I didn't watch the Finals round (go figure). So I hereby place Sav on my threat list. As if that wasn't a given based on the "National Champion" label on all her posts.

Woah, you did? I'm trying to remember the people who watched that round. My finals round was pretty awful; I was terrified. So, quarters was a better one to watch :p And thank you. But you won't see me at any tournaments this year.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:55 am 

SavyAvy wrote:
BenVincent wrote:

Woah, you did? I'm trying to remember the people who watched that round. My finals round was pretty awful; I was terrified. So, quarters was a better one to watch :p And thank you. But you won't see me at any tournaments this year.

Yeah, a bunch of us R2'ers were watching that round in support of Nikki. I was that nerdy-looking kid in the suit. (Wait... I guess that was... every guy in the NCFCA.) I only competed in Apol last year because it was my first year, but I qualified to Nats so I spent all my free time watching LD rounds.

Why won't I see you at any tournaments? Are you not going to Nats? (Phew. One threat removed from the "Well-I'm-Doomed" list.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:34 am 

BenVincent wrote:
Yeah, a bunch of us R2'ers were watching that round in support of Nikki. I was that nerdy-looking kid in the suit. (Wait... I guess that was... every guy in the NCFCA.) I only competed in Apol last year because it was my first year, but I qualified to Nats so I spent all my free time watching LD rounds.

Why won't I see you at any tournaments? Are you not going to Nats? (Phew. One threat removed from the "Well-I'm-Doomed" list.)

Okay cool. Yeah, that certainly narrows it down :p Qualifying to Nats your first year is pretty impressive, nice job.

Well, my mom wouldn't let me take it seriously this year. So I've only been to one tournament and I'm not even sure I'll go to Regionals. But definitely not Nats.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!