homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:32 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
After debating at the NC open, I have some LDers to add to this list. I know there are so many other good debaters, but these are the ones I have personally seen debate this year.

Thomas Siu: Debating Thomas was the most intimidating round I've had all year, and I hit Chris Absher in semis at Montgomery. Thomas is an amazing speaker and he has the ability to notice and point out every flaw in a case, but focus on the main issues that he knows will win him the round. He did all of this with respect and consideration. He went 6-0 at the largest open in NCFCA history and if he does not qualify to nats, I will be extremely surprised.

Daniel Grubbs: I watched Daniel debate in his quarter-final round at the open (which I was shocked he did not win). He is a great speaker and was able to simplify all of the opponent's arguments into a few clear points. He refuted all of the important neg arguments and pointed out the logical fallacies made. He is one of the better debaters I watched from R8, and I'm sure he'll succeed at the following tournaments.

Chris Absher: I love Chris. He's a fantastic, persuasive speaker and one of the nicest guys to debate. He also went 6-0 at the NC open, and won the entire tournament. He went to nats last year and got a speaker award, and that was his first year of LD. He'll do great at Nationals 2014.

Isaac Lies: He should pay me for saying this. Anyway, this is Isaac's second year in LD and he's had a consistent record of 5-1 over the past tournaments and has made to quarters in every tournament except the NC open, where he placed 10th. Right now, he's at the top for at-large, but will probably qualify to nats at Regionals. Considering he doesn't have a club, he's done really well this year and I would expect him to do great at nats too.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:54 am 

Braden Harm from RV. First-year LD debater after several years of TP. Won both of the qualifiers he's competed at (I lost to him in finals), made quarterfinals at the ID National Open, took 2nd at the MN National Open. He's extremely earnest and very philosophical. He's courteous, too-so courteous that I almost didn't mind losing to him. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:45 am 

Katie Martin - Region 7
She just won a second National Open. I don't think much more needs to be said.

Benjamin Absher - Region 7
He has won every single regional tournament this year in LD (two of which he debated his twin brother in finals), which is no small accomplishment. Also, he just prequalified in Minnesota. So that's fun.

Chris Absher - Region 7
He's gone to finals in two regional tourneys, and won the largest National Open to date - North Carolina.

Ethos is also pretty cool, you should check it out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:36 pm 

Danielle Hepler: (RIX). Fantastic speaker, polished and persuasive. Depth of knowledge and logic unmatched in RIX. (and it's totally genetic, her triplet brother won LD at Nats last year, and he and the other triplet won the NC open in TP this year. Danielle just won our last qualifier in LD, LD speaks, speech sweepstakes, IO, and placed well in other speech events. All around excellent debater, speaker and person)

Nathan Wilson: (RIX). I don't know how he does it. he's won two qualifiers this year, and always advances far into outrounds. smart, logical and well-researched.

2012-13 Parli, APOL, BN, IMP, ST, MH | NCFCA, Stoa
2013-14 LD, APOL, IMP, INFO, OPEN | NCFCA

Last edited by Come What May on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:47 pm 

^ And how is Jane not on here? 0.o

Jane White (Region IX) Jane not only has broken at almost (if not) every tournament she's been to in the region, finishing in finals once and quarters another, but she was also a semifinalist at the NC National Open. She's extremely well spoken, and her points are easy to understand. (This is coming from someone whose brain abandons him when trying to watch LD) I fully expect her to make it to Nats.

Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '12-'16

Retired.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:43 pm 

Come What May wrote:
Danielle Hepler (RIX). Fantastic speaker, polished and persuasive. Depth of knowledge and logic unmatched in RIX. (and it's totally genetic, her triplet brother won LD at Nats last year, and he and the other triplet won the NC open in TP this year. Danielle just won our last qualifier in LD, LD speaks, speech sweepstakes, IO, and placed well in other speech events. All around excellent debater, speaker and person)

Nathan Wilson (RIX). I don't know how he does it. he's won two qualifiers this year, and always advances far into outrounds. smart, logical and well-researched.
Seconding these two.
JustM.e wrote:
Jane White (Region IX) Jane not only has broken at almost (if not) every tournament she's been to in the region, finishing in finals once and quarters another, but she was also a semifinalist at the NC National Open. She's extremely well spoken, and her points are easy to understand. (This is coming from someone whose brain abandons him when trying to watch LD) I fully expect her to make it to Nats.
Ditto everything Justin said. Also, I believe Jane already qualified to Nats at the NC Open when she placed third (although I may be wrong). :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:15 pm 

marinadelayne wrote:
Come What May wrote:
Danielle Hepler (RIX). Fantastic speaker, polished and persuasive. Depth of knowledge and logic unmatched in RIX. (and it's totally genetic, her triplet brother won LD at Nats last year, and he and the other triplet won the NC open in TP this year. Danielle just won our last qualifier in LD, LD speaks, speech sweepstakes, IO, and placed well in other speech events. All around excellent debater, speaker and person)

Nathan Wilson (RIX). I don't know how he does it. he's won two qualifiers this year, and always advances far into outrounds. smart, logical and well-researched.
Seconding these two.
JustM.e wrote:
Ditto everything Justin said. Also, I believe Jane already qualified to Nats at the NC Open when she placed third (although I may be wrong). :)

:oops: Right. I knew that.

Retired.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:15 pm 

marinadelayne wrote:
Come What May wrote:

Seconding these two.
JustM.e wrote:

:oops: Right. I knew that.

Retired.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:14 pm 

marinadelayne wrote:
Come What May wrote:

Seconding these two.
JustM.e wrote:

Danielle is amazing. She is extremely good at organization and impact; all her speeches focus the round on favorable ground for her side. She dominated our last qualifier.

Jane is another incredible debater. Jane and Danielle hit in Quarter's at our last qualifier; that was an epic round.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:14 pm 

Nathan Gray: ^^ Powerful Orator. Brilliant mind. Understands deep arguments and explains them simply. Always breaks to outrounds, usually 6-0.

2012-13 Parli, APOL, BN, IMP, ST, MH | NCFCA, Stoa
2013-14 LD, APOL, IMP, INFO, OPEN | NCFCA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:40 am 

Masked Midnight wrote:
Tyler Belyeu [R8]. He just won the Jonesboro, GA Qualifier in epic fashion. Tyler's young, but sharp and quick on his feet. Furthermore, he makes phenomenal eye contact and defends his cases really well. He also used bacon as a voting issue in his 2AR in LD finals -- so much win!!

Seconding Tyler. He is extremely good and has very strong CX.

Nominating Taylor Baumann again, simply because he's crazy awesome - and he talks about what resolutions are actually about. I debated him at Nats last year, and it was awesome to talk about moral obligations for once. ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:48 pm 

Come What May wrote:
Danielle Hepler: (RIX). Fantastic speaker, polished and persuasive. Depth of knowledge and logic unmatched in RIX. (and it's totally genetic, her triplet brother won LD at Nats last year, and he and the other triplet won the NC open in TP this year. Danielle just won our last qualifier in LD, LD speaks, speech sweepstakes, IO, and placed well in other speech events. All around excellent debater, speaker and person)

Nathan Wilson: (RIX). I don't know how he does it. he's won two qualifiers this year, and always advances far into outrounds. smart, logical and well-researched.

I second this. I know its like super late but still.

2012-13: APOL, OI, IMP, IO | STOA

2013-14: IMP, INFO, OPEN, HI | NCFCA

2014-15: THEMATIC, OPEN, APOL, ADS, INFO, DUO, LD | NCFCA