homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:54 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:19 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
I'm curious to know who the great LDers this year are.

I'll get things started:

Sam Moore (Region 2): Sam has performed consistently in his last two years of debate, including multiple tournament and speaker wins, and 4th place at the MA National Open last year. In his third year, I'm confident he'll be peaking in performance and will be a challenge for any debater, any day.

09-10 | Edmonds/Harris | Rainmakers | R3
10-11 | Edmonds/Harris | Rainmakers | R2
11-12 | Aldrich/Harris | Rainmakers | R2
12-13 | Bayliss/Harris | Rainmakers | R2

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:18 am 
Kenya debate as good as me?

Moved to the LD forum.

SDG.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:48 pm 

Region V=

Michael Patton: You could say he is our regional chamion seeing as he took 4th LD at nats this year. He is very smoth and is an awesome guy. (Does anyone know if Justin Manchester is still in/doing LD? Because if he isn't then seeding wise, Michael should win nationals :) ) However, the wierd thing is that Michael hadn't done very well until Nationals :?

Landon Farmer: He is able to come up with uber good arguments and I dread to face him. Last year he came out of nowhere to upsetting our first turnaments outrounds and taking 2nd, next turnament he, again, took second. Next he took 5th (put out in octas by Michael) then taking 2nd at regionals. The only turnament he didn't do well at was nationals (which is kinda ironic with him and Michael...)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 pm 

Nope, Michael got 4th.

09-10 | Edmonds/Harris | Rainmakers | R3
10-11 | Edmonds/Harris | Rainmakers | R2
11-12 | Aldrich/Harris | Rainmakers | R2
12-13 | Bayliss/Harris | Rainmakers | R2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:03 pm 
Is now cool

Miranda Bonifield-R2: This girl is amazing. Obviously, it takes talent to take 2nd place at nationals in Team Policy. Now consider that I've always thought of her as an LDer. It's obvious to anyone who knows her that she's practically made for LD. If she works hard this year, I can easily see her winning nationals.

And of course her brother Ben. :D so much talent. SO much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:06 am 

+X wrote:
And of course her brother Ben. :D so much talent. SO much.

I think his pseudonym should be "Mr. Awesome". Just sayin'. ;) Benjamin is very logical and a quick thinker who will point out balogna where he sees it... nicely. ;)

and thanks, dear. <3 sweet of you to say that.

Join Speech and Debate USA
[Avatar photo credit]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:11 pm 

Daniel Grubbs ditto... I have the privilege of being in club with Daniel, and not only is he a great guy, he's a great debater. Look out for him.

Claire Atwood - Region 8 Claire, from Atwood/Wortham, is doing LD this year, so look out for her.

Mary Katherine Collins - Region 8 I've heard from various people that she is doing LD but I'm not positive, and she did exceptionally last year in TP. Plus she's an amazing speaker and a great person.

Nathaniel Mullins - Region 8 He made it to quarters at Nats. It's his senior year. He's going to be amazing.

'13-'14 | Moriah Cassano | UADC | R8 |

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:22 pm 
THE Cookie Monster!

Moriah wrote:
Claire Atwood - Region 8 Claire, from Atwood/Wortham, is doing LD this year, so look out for her.
As someone who didn't get to coach but did get to talk to Claire extensively at the SC Ethos tournament this year, I absolutely agree. She was working so hard on LD and she really gets it in a much bigger way than most people do. I think she's one of the smartest people her age (which is my age too I guess) I've ever met, and that's saying something. If I get the chance to compete in NCFCA this year, I definitely don't want to have to face Claire.

Her mom also makes some of the best food I've ever eaten.

Bakke/Bakke | TP <3 | 10-11
Bakke/Van Ness | TP <3 | 11-13
Sad Brenna | LD ew | 13-14
PHC Student | wow such college deb8 | 14&beyond

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:32 pm 
Forerunner

Claire is not a senior and didn't graduate? Yaaaaaaaaay. :D :D

Liberty University

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:36 pm 
THE Cookie Monster!

She is a senior right now, doing LD because Karen graduated.

Bakke/Bakke | TP <3 | 10-11
Bakke/Van Ness | TP <3 | 11-13
Sad Brenna | LD ew | 13-14
PHC Student | wow such college deb8 | 14&beyond

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:06 am 

Tyler Belyeu is coming back this year.
I remember last year, he got to finals in 2 tournaments, and qualified to Nats. He's a very solid competitor :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 pm 

Katie Martin: Katie, Contenders Club, Region VII, has been an incredible LD debater and also was great in TP last year. She'll do great on both the regional and national levels this year.

Phillip Reeves: Also from Contenders, Phillip did really well in region VII for a novice. This year with some experience, he'll do great in R7 and I think will succeed on a national level as well.

MaryKathryn Samelson: Mk is awesome. (Catalyst, Region VII) Last year she was one at large spot away from nationals after having a really good year, breaking at the first open she ever compete with LD in, the Alabama Open, receiving 12th place and a speaker award. She's got a tough yet sweet style, and she'll do great this year.

Savannah Rigby: This girl, also from Catalyst, is da bomb. Her first tournament ever was the Alabama Open, and she was a triple octafinalist, making it to doubles, then lost to Isaac Sommers, who won the tournament. She consistently broke in Region VII, and expect for her to do even better now that she's had a year of experience under her belt.

Josh McCroskey: Need I say more? Ginger Josh, from Catalyst, has always dominated in LD, and even last year after doing TP for the entire season, got 2nd seed and 2nd place at the largest LD qualifier in Region 7. He's going to dominate the region and do great on a national level as well.

Chris and Ben Absher (Cleveland, Region VII) The twins are back again! Chris got a nationals speaker award last year, both had very successful debate records in the region, and I expect great things from them again.

LD 2011-2013
Samelsonx2 2008-2011
It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it ~Joseph Joubert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 pm 

Home Schooled: No
Too early too tell who the top competitors will be yet, but keep a lookout for HI this year!

Region I is active, and participating in LD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:02 pm 

Masked Midnight wrote:
AJ Colkitt (Region 9). He's good...and I mean, really good. He's a crisp, polished and emphatic speaker and knows LD very well. He uses very few verbal fillers and has great use of gestures and pauses. His case is also really legit. ;)

I second this. A.J. is an amazing debater.

I'd like to nominate Joel Thomas from region 9: he has a clear and easy to understand style and makes solid logical points. He's also one of the best in cross examination.

I'd also like to nominate Andrew King: you can see his TP experience shine through in LD. He makes logical points to support his position and goes down through the flow and refutes the other sides points and leaves them in a cloud of dust.

Hammy wrote:
Also, Cashley died in a hole. I don't know why you keep trusting him. I mean sure he's super good at mafia and knows exactly what he's doing, but I feel like maybe some game you would just not trust him. :P Props to you Cashley, always making my games exciting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 am 

Another RV debater who I think will do well is Liza Rogers. She is 12 and is really short so she has the total cute factor 110% in her favor. She is also very smoth and can think of really good arguments. She will Rock.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 am 

Masked Midnight wrote:
AJ Colkitt (Region 9). He's good...and I mean, really good. He's a crisp, polished and emphatic speaker and knows LD very well. He uses very few verbal fillers and has great use of gestures and pauses. His case is also really legit. ;)
Thirding this.
CalebAshley wrote:
I'd like to nominate Joel Thomas from region 9: he has a clear and easy to understand style and makes solid logical points. He's also one of the best in cross examination.
And seconding this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:50 am 

I Nominate Taylor Bauman, and Allison Urback! they both made it to finals in Austin! (Taylor won). And both have taken on the task of helping a Tper (Yours Truley) Learn LD in 6 weeks!
-Ruth

2014-15 Herman/Williams: Double Octas Taheessee, OK and Austin TX, 15th place at Wylie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:32 am 

After debating at the NC open, I have some LDers to add to this list. I know there are so many other good debaters, but these are the ones I have personally seen debate this year.

Thomas Siu: Debating Thomas was the most intimidating round I've had all year, and I hit Chris Absher in semis at Montgomery. Thomas is an amazing speaker and he has the ability to notice and point out every flaw in a case, but focus on the main issues that he knows will win him the round. He did all of this with respect and consideration. He went 6-0 at the largest open in NCFCA history and if he does not qualify to nats, I will be extremely surprised.

Daniel Grubbs: I watched Daniel debate in his quarter-final round at the open (which I was shocked he did not win). He is a great speaker and was able to simplify all of the opponent's arguments into a few clear points. He refuted all of the important neg arguments and pointed out the logical fallacies made. He is one of the better debaters I watched from R8, and I'm sure he'll succeed at the following tournaments.

Chris Absher: I love Chris. He's a fantastic, persuasive speaker and one of the nicest guys to debate. He also went 6-0 at the NC open, and won the entire tournament. He went to nats last year and got a speaker award, and that was his first year of LD. He'll do great at Nationals 2014.

Isaac Lies: He should pay me for saying this. Anyway, this is Isaac's second year in LD and he's had a consistent record of 5-1 over the past tournaments and has made to quarters in every tournament except the NC open, where he placed 10th. Right now, he's at the top for at-large, but will probably qualify to nats at Regionals. Considering he doesn't have a club, he's done really well this year and I would expect him to do great at nats too.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:54 am 

Braden Harm from RV. First-year LD debater after several years of TP. Won both of the qualifiers he's competed at (I lost to him in finals), made quarterfinals at the ID National Open, took 2nd at the MN National Open. He's extremely earnest and very philosophical. He's courteous, too-so courteous that I almost didn't mind losing to him. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:45 am 

Katie Martin - Region 7
She just won a second National Open. I don't think much more needs to be said.

Benjamin Absher - Region 7
He has won every single regional tournament this year in LD (two of which he debated his twin brother in finals), which is no small accomplishment. Also, he just prequalified in Minnesota. So that's fun.

Chris Absher - Region 7
He's gone to finals in two regional tourneys, and won the largest National Open to date - North Carolina.

Ethos is also pretty cool, you should check it out.