homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 10:19 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stoa
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:29 am 
titles are too mainstream.

Home Schooled: Yes
redflowers wrote:
Well I guess to judge the size of both leagues, we would need to look at how many people are in each league, rather than how many states are in each league.

yeah. judging by state is silly cause there are only four states that are all Stoa (CA, CO, Hawaii and Missouri?), and then there are a lot of individual people and clubs from various states. So, even if there were 50 states "in Stoa" that says nothing of the size.
this question:
redflowers wrote:
how many states are there in Stoa?

is pretty much useless. you might ask the number of clubs or people if you want to get an idea of the size.

redflowers wrote:
But if we look at the overal size, isn't Stoa still a lot smaller than NCFCA?

I don't know. I don't know if anyone knows. I would guess that neither one is "a lot" smaller or larger.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:34 pm 

Location: On my bed... Drowning in piles and piles of books and papers :D
Dawn wrote:
redflowers wrote:
redflowers wrote:
But if we look at the overal size, isn't Stoa still a lot smaller than NCFCA?

I don't know. I don't know if anyone knows. I would guess that neither one is "a lot" smaller or larger.

Yeah, Stoa is large, and growing. And so is NCFCA, I'm sure ;). Right now I have no idea how many people are in each, but within a few months we'll have a good estimate of how many are in Stoa due to Speechranks :).

:P You are smart.
I think more people should listen to you

lookingforangels wrote:
Yeah, you're gonna die. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:12 pm 

"I know most competitors in Tennessee, and I have heard of no one defecting to stoa."

I don't know any NCFCA debaters, but I know a couple clubs that are competing in both Stoa and our statewide debate organization this year. Several of our tournaments are also going to be Stoa events.

Source: I'm a TN debater, and a member of one of the aforementioned clubs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:52 pm 
JV the Epic

just horsen wrote:
"I know most competitors in Tennessee, and I have heard of no one defecting to stoa."

I don't know any NCFCA debaters, but I know a couple clubs that are competing in both Stoa and our statewide debate organization this year. Several of our tournaments are also going to be Stoa events.

No wonder, it sounds like a crime in Tennessee. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:50 pm 

just horsen wrote:

Where do you live in TN? The only TN debaters (all NCFCA) I know are from the southwest and southeast area.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:16 am 

jonathan070394j wrote:

Where do you live in TN? The only TN debaters (all NCFCA) I know are from the southwest and southeast area.

I'm from Middle TN. Pretty much all of the debate people I know are from Middle TN and East TN.

Just curious, how many NCFCA people are there in TN? I've been around debate for 4yrs and have never heard anything about NCFCA clubs/and or tournaments.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:38 am 
Evil Democrat

just horsen wrote:
jonathan070394j wrote:

I'm from Middle TN. Pretty much all of the debate people I know are from Middle TN and East TN.

Just curious, how many NCFCA people are there in TN? I've been around debate for 4yrs and have never heard anything about NCFCA clubs/and or tournaments.

0-o

There was a club in memphis of about ten teams and a club in Cleveland with an average of 5 teams over the past few years. They've both hosted qualifiers for the last 5 or 6 years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:50 am 
Easiest Person to Kill with a Witty Comeback

All the debaters that I know in Ohio are NCFCA, but when we had a Stoa tournament in Cincinnati last year, there were a few teams from Tennessee. The names that I remember are Myhre, Rhodes, and Wuest. I think they normally compete in a Tennessee league though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:12 am 

just horsen wrote:
jonathan070394j wrote:

I guess you guys are realizing that you aren't alone. lol

Memphis usually has around like 25ish people, but I'm not sure about the people in Chattanooga/Cleveland. I am thinking around 15 people or less.

So this is your 4th year? STOA has only been around for 3 so you competed in the NCFCA, right?

Oh and NADAL ftw!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:17 am 

jonathan070394j wrote:

I guess you guys are realizing that you aren't alone. lol

Memphis usually has around like 25ish people, but I'm not sure about the people in Chattanooga/Cleveland. I am thinking around 15 people or less.

So this is your 4th year? STOA has only been around for 3 so you competed in the NCFCA, right?

Oh and NADAL ftw!

hahaha, yea. :)

Gotcha. Thanks. We've got at least two clubs in Middle TN of around 40-60 people that will be participating in Stoa on some level.

No, I've competed in CCT (Christian Communicators of TN) for the past 4yrs. This is my first year in Stoa.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:31 am 

Justin Stacy wrote:
I think they normally compete in a Tennessee league though.

Yep, Christian Communicators of TN. I think all those guys are doing more Stoa events this year though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:23 pm 
Bumble! Bumble!

Dear Tennessee people: that conversation was hilarious. But it's kinda like that everywhere, when you get into your little circles and don't realize that other circles exist.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:40 pm 

chaching wrote:
redflowers wrote:
Looking at the calender, Stoa consists mostly of: Washington, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, and California. Stoa does have tournaments in other random places, like Iowa, Wyoming, and Illinois, but it looks like thats it.

Stoa really isn't that big. Maybe I should switch to NCFCA next year. ;)

Don't forget about Arizona, we're in Stoa too. ;) We really don't have much of a choice cause we're surrounded by states in Stoa.

Edit: 300th Post :D

You mean those people from Mars, Peter? ;)

Christensen-Napier, 2012-2013
Christensen-Ford, 2013-2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:51 am 

Zenith DC wrote:
chaching wrote:
redflowers wrote:
Looking at the calender, Stoa consists mostly of: Washington, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, and California. Stoa does have tournaments in other random places, like Iowa, Wyoming, and Illinois, but it looks like thats it.

Stoa really isn't that big. Maybe I should switch to NCFCA next year. ;)

Don't forget about Arizona, we're in Stoa too. ;) We really don't have much of a choice cause we're surrounded by states in Stoa.

Edit: 300th Post :D

You mean those people from Mars, Peter? ;)

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:57 am 

redflowers wrote:
Flash of light wrote:
Illinois is hardly random. It's home to Charge and CIBAD, both accomplished clubs. And that isn't an exhaustive list of Stoa states. Just for the record.

Well I guess to judge the size of both leagues, we would need to look at how many people are in each league, rather than how many states are in each league. Also, if the amount of states in Stoa are exhaustive (as you say ;) ), how many states are there in Stoa?

Has either league said how many members are in each league? I guess California is pretty large. ;) But if we look at the overal size, isn't Stoa still a lot smaller than NCFCA? :?

Well now that the tournament season has started, I think it's about half-half as far as the amount of people in each league. Stoa will probably eventually win out because they're a freedom run organization. Whereas NCFCA forces people to stay in their region.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:16 am 

bluebird wrote:
redflowers wrote:
Flash of light wrote:
Illinois is hardly random. It's home to Charge and CIBAD, both accomplished clubs. And that isn't an exhaustive list of Stoa states. Just for the record.

Well I guess to judge the size of both leagues, we would need to look at how many people are in each league, rather than how many states are in each league. Also, if the amount of states in Stoa are exhaustive (as you say ;) ), how many states are there in Stoa?

Has either league said how many members are in each league? I guess California is pretty large. ;) But if we look at the overal size, isn't Stoa still a lot smaller than NCFCA? :?

Well now that the tournament season has started, I think it's about half-half as far as the amount of people in each league. Stoa will probably eventually win out because they're a freedom run organization. Whereas NCFCA forces people to stay in their region.

I personally have no problem with people going with Stoa, but I'd also like to point out that NCFCA does allow people to re-affiliate with a different region if they want to. You do have to stay in the same region for the duration of the year. I've re-affiliated for two of the three years that I've been in NCFCA. Nobody seems to really care. :P

COG Author | NCFCA Alumna | Wife and Mother

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:20 am 
Evil Democrat

bluebird wrote:

Wow, this is the most blatantly untrue statement I've seen in the league debate.

NCFCA has plenty of freedom (not any less than stoa does) and as previously stated, they do allow region re-affiliating. Check the facts, bro.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:40 am 
THE Cookie Monster!

This thread has run its course and the original question was answered long ago. If anyone really must get in a league debate, please keep it in a PM so I don't have to read it and slap someone.

Bakke/Bakke | TP <3 | 10-11
Bakke/Van Ness | TP <3 | 11-13
Sad Brenna | LD ew | 13-14
PHC Student | wow such college deb8 | 14&beyond

You're not alone.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next