homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:05 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:16 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Home Schooled: Yes
Let's face it: NITOC is about as predictable as the NCAA March Madness Basketball Tournament. ;) NITOC is an incredibly rewarding, challenging, and fun learning experience. For the most part, though, NITOC is very difficult to accurately predict.

...which is paradoxically why I am starting the Official NITOC 2013 Predictions Thread! :)

As unpredictable as it admittedly is, NITOC is annually recognized as a very fun forum to try and wager educated guesses and see how you do. (I've even heard of some people running mock NITOC fantasy "drafts" where you "draft" certain speakers and debaters to be on your "team." No, I do not have the spare time on my hands to participate in that...) Last year, some people even went and predicted full TP/LD outround composite results!

The official list of competitors will most likely be released soon after registration closes. Put down who you will think will do great at NITOC and why. :)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:17 am 

Marton/Winchel should win. They are probably the best team I have ever seen debate. Content is obviously fantastic, their speaking is excellent, and Brandon has this ability to just ramble off facts and come across as a mad scientist you don't wanna challenge. Not to mention the fact that they are almost unbeatable on their Aff, especially with them coming across as such huge patriots.

I'm being predictable, but I honestly think they are the best team at NITOC.

Verve, WA
G. Smith

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:50 pm 
is jealous

I'm gonna predict Ortiz/Wilson for TP. They've been placing consistently high lately, and even beat Marton/Winchel in finals at Epilogue. Plus Jonah's in my club, so I have bias :lol: :P

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:41 pm 
Is now cool

I'm going to be predictable and say that I think Bakke/VanNess will win. Their evidence is top quality, they have emotional appeal down, they are fantastic speakers and I love them. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 am 

So, I will be putting in a second vote for Marton/Winchel as a very likely candidate. However, Landgraf/Silva has turned it on at the last two tournaments going 16-1 and winning them both. If they carry any of that momentum into NITOC they have a great shot at it too.

Also, I'm calling Ortiz/Pena in Parli.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:18 pm 

There is no reasonable scenario in which Manoah and Brandon don't win. They are unbeatable on content, excellent speakers, and Brandon is hilarious :P Also their case is amazing ;)

I could see a Landgraf/Silva vs Marton/Winchel final, in which Marton/Winchel definitely wins.

Smith/Smith (2009-2010)
Smith/Smith (2010-2011)
Smith/Smith (2011-2012)
Johnson/Smith (2012-2013)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

ShaynePC wrote:
Sorry guys, but predictions NEVER come true. Usually the winner is unexpected, or at least not the top prediction.

Shayne is partially right. For the most part, the top teams in debate don't make it to finals or do worse than expected at NITOC. Some people have staged massively impressive dark horse runs. But that doesn't mean we can't have some fun and try to predict what we think will happen! :) Besides, I did correctly call Jonathan Kuhlmann getting to LD finals last year, so it's not like predictions NEVER come true. The point of NITOC prediction is to have fun, see if you can get them right, and also try to call dark horse runs.

I concur with the sentiments expressed about Marton/Winchel, Ortiz/Wilson, and Bakke/VanNess – they're absolutely amazing. If anybody else would like to add TP predictions, that's great. But it would be cool to see some LD, Parli, and speech predictions as well. Props to Thomas (@forensicsfreak) for putting in a Parli selection. :)

My picks for debate, in case anybody's interested.
TP: Marton/Winchel vs. Lutz/Lutz
LD: Thomas Gray vs. Timothy Bechtol
Parli: Chapman/Heise vs. Chambers/Kim

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:42 pm 
is jealous

Predicting Nick Chera or one of the DeJager brothers for Expos.
Neuenschwander/Salvatico or Smith/VanNess or (by some miracle) Gockel/Gockel for Duo.
Jonah Ortiz or or John Bush or Evan Buck for Extemp.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:19 pm 

Dibbles wrote:

Nope. Aaron Dykstra. Totally. Nick can get second. ;)

Dibbles wrote:
Jonah Ortiz or or John Bush or Evan Buck for Extemp.

Absolutely. Definitely. Totally. :)

And, I'm predicting Grace Walker or Sheridan Heggem for Open.
Aaron Dykstra or Sheridan Heggem for Humorous. Aaron's is fantastic, and he won both the tournaments he took it to. Sheridan is, well, Sheridan. :)
And Zack Seals or Grant Garcia for Apologetics.
Smith-VanNess for duo. It's probably the best duo I've ever seen.

Last edited by MaggieSonshine on Mon May 06, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:47 pm 
is jealous

MaggieSonshine wrote:
Dibbles wrote:

Nope. Aaron Dykstra. Totally. Nick can get second. ;)

I feel as if we've had this disagreement before... ;)

And ditto to the Sheridan predictions. Cause she's Sheridan. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 am 

Evan wrote:
ShaynePC wrote:
Sorry guys, but predictions NEVER come true. Usually the winner is unexpected, or at least not the top prediction.

Shayne is partially right. For the most part, the top teams in debate don't make it to finals or do worse than expected at NITOC. Some people have staged massively impressive dark horse runs.

I'm getting the feeling from this thread, that "dark horse" means anyone without a CA or TX next to their name. :)

So, in the spirit of balance...

Mars Hill: Veronica Scott. (Because she's the bomb at it.)

TP: Brandt/Martin (I can say a lot of good things about these folks, I love them as friends and debaters, but honestly, their best strength is the way that no matter how bad the round seems to be going for them, Noah Brandt has an uncanny ability to control the tempo and atmosphere of the round use it for their benefit. They've won tournaments off that alone.)

LD: Less-biased choice - Spencer Whipple (He's just boss. Plus, he's been on a terrific roll this season.) Really biased choice - Isaac Wuest. (Because he was born to do LD)

HI: Tanner Minchey (He made it to semis at NITOC in this event last year and if anything, has only gotten better. He's amazing.)

"The trouble with talking too fast is you may say something you haven't thought of yet" - Ann Landers

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

just horsen wrote:
I'm getting the feeling from this thread, that "dark horse" means anyone without a CA or TX next to their name. :)

"Dark horse, noun 1.) A person about whom little is known, esp. someone whose abilities and potential for success are concealed: "a dark-horse candidate". 2.)
A competitor or candidate who has little chance of winning, or who wins against expectations."

Simply put, a dark horse run can be staged by anybody who's not incredibly well known, not just people outside California and Texas. :) Besides, not everybody outside of those states are dark horses. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 pm 

Chambers/Kim for parli.

Lynchburg, Va

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:15 pm 

TP is easy. Marton-Winchel.

In parli, my predictions for top 5:
1) Chapman-Heise
2) Marton-Winchel
3) Chambers-Kim
4) Browatzke-Vehrs