homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Should NCFCA eliminate outrounds for in-region qualifiers as proposed at the National Championship?
No 88%  88%  [ 45 ]
Yes 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Total votes: 51
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:41 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Hammy wrote:
_idontknow_ wrote:
Does anyone know if the final round for LD and/or TP were recorded?

Yep. I got the TP round recorded here.

That one sucks, here's a 1080p one

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:14 am 

Due to affiliate feedback, NCFCA has somewhat altered their initial proposal to curtail elimination rounds. Complete details, along with rationale, available here. Feedback form available here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:42 am 

^^

I was in the "don't do it" camp but tbh the revised proposal addresses pretty much all of my concerns. I like the new proposal and I think its advantages are worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:05 am 

I submitted my feedback and asked that the board (if it wishes to pursue the idea) start out by only requiring regions to have one qualifier in the new format this upcoming year and use the pilot tournaments to review it's success, rather than potentially ruin a whole year with an untried system. Maybe others can suggest the same? I don't expect the NCFCA to completely change it's mind, especially after it deems it has conceded the major points, so a compromise of this sort seems like it's the best hope for a positive outcome.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:57 pm 

I'm not affiliated (yet) so I don't know if I can submit feedback. But wouldn't it make more sense to have a practice tournament in the format in November or December? That way people who can only come to one tournament don't have to be short-changed with a shorter, experimental one. I'm still against it, whether or not they test it, but if they're going to test it it should be outside the realm of competition.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:04 pm 

Voice of Reason wrote:
I submitted my feedback and asked that the board (if it wishes to pursue the idea) start out by only requiring regions to have one qualifier in the new format this upcoming year and use the pilot tournaments to review it's success, rather than potentially ruin a whole year with an untried system. Maybe others can suggest the same? I don't expect the NCFCA to completely change it's mind, especially after it deems it has conceded the major points, so a compromise of this sort seems like it's the best hope for a positive outcome.

I submitted much the same feedback. Make the new format an option and see which tournaments are the most successful. They could require at least 1/2 per region... or they might leave it to the regions' discretion (giving them options when there are scheduling challenges with individual host facilities).

I will say that the modified proposal makes things worse from my perspective. The greatest advantage of the initial proposal was that less-experienced debaters would have two additional rounds against roughly-comparable opponents. They could announce the top 8/16 after six rounds and run the top four as semi/final brackets.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:09 pm 

Does the new proposal completely can the 8 prelim rounds idea? I found it a bit confusing. There are two desirable outcomes (though one is much more desirable in my opinion): more outrounds (status quo) or more prelim rounds to glean better experiences and practice (proposal placed at Nats). It appears that this new proposal destroys both of those, as there will still be fewer outrounds and no change in the number of prelim rounds. Am I correct?
Furthermore, if this is true, then it throws the whole "more prelim rounds will be more fair" notion out the window. Every tournament there are so many teams that get to 5-1 but can't truly survive outrounds or had some lucky breaks go their way. The nice thing about it to this point has been that seeding doesn't truly matter, because once you get to outrounds it's anyone's game. But with the new proposal there will be such subtle differences separating the 4th seed from the 5th seed it will be outrageous.

2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:11 pm 

I read it the same way. Long list of bullet points of semi-true problems to distract you, then a proposal that just lessens debate in the good old preference for speech, and two tiny baby "con" bullet points that demonstrate... well several things ;)

Kind of like cases that are all harms with no solvency section. Most of the "problems" could be far better solved.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:41 pm 

NCFCA announced today that they will not be implementing the proposed changes for the upcoming competition season. The qualifier structure will remain the same for the time being.

I'm rather surprised by the decision, but I know many people who will be happy about this announcement.

"Everything in this world is either a potato... or not a potato."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:16 pm 

yay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:37 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

The Ginga Ninja wrote:
NCFCA announced today that they will not be implementing the proposed changes for the upcoming competition season. The qualifier structure will remain the same for the time being.

I'm rather surprised by the decision, but I know many people who will be happy about this announcement.

What's this? NCFCA actually listening to what their members want? Image

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:25 am 

I am this ll close to thinking the NCFCA did it just to say "hey, look how bad it could be, don't get upset with us." Nevertheless, I applaud the decision. Yay.

2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:45 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
The Ginga Ninja wrote:
NCFCA announced today that they will not be implementing the proposed changes for the upcoming competition season.

Awesome. I can still go judge outrounds now.

(Sorry VoR, I saw your avatar and just had to use it.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:07 pm 
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.

But...

...why?

WHY???

Quote:

Yay for the temporary stay of that insanity. :roll:

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference