homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:32 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:47 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
So Region 8 got split into two districts last year and the league got rid of After Dinner and Humorous and replaced with Biblical and brought back biographical (and other speech stuffs that I forgot). There was a general uproar on HSD about the matter and in the very least there were mixed opinions about its success.

What was everyone's impression of the changes now that hindsight is 20-20?

Did they achieve their purpose?

Looking forward to next year, should we return to the previous systems (abolish district-splits, bringing back Humorous or After Dinner, etc.) or did the system work?

For myself, I missed Humorous a lot and would have liked to see it come back (at least on alternating years, some Humorous speeches were not truly funny last year), but I think that the inclusion of Biblical interp has been positive (and, given what Mrs. Hudson said at one of the National Opens this year, I think she really liked it).
I also think that the district splits had a net positive effect.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:59 pm 

Contrary to my expectations, I think that Biblical Presentation has been a very successful event. Many of the pieces I have seen are quite thought-provoking and of high quality. It also has had higher participation rates (from what I've seen) than other wildcard events in the past (such as Thematic). I wouldn't be surprised if it stuck around another year.

I thought that the changes in extemp (reduced prep time + turning in cards) didn't end up being as big of a deal as people (including myself) anticipated. It was not too difficult to adapt to the shorter prep time and truly did make me rely more on my personal knowledge rather than articles read during prep time. I don't know how the card rule worked out for people who usually go off card though. Anyone hear about how that played out?

I still dislike the decrease in topics for apol and impromptu. I understand that it makes the logisitics simpler, but I felt like the lack of flexibility for speakers that resulted wasn't worth it. The chances of drawing a topic that you have a card on is significantly reduced in apol. And personally, I actually found that it was harder to select an impromptu topic than when there were three options. I found it much easier to second-guess myself when there were only two options. Though that may just be me.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:12 am 

I won't comment on what the league will decide, but rather on what I think about the changes, with the benefit of a year competing with them.
  1. Contrary to my expectations as well, Biblical wasn't terrible.
  2. HI really needs to come back (and maybe DI too, with Open being eliminated). The issue with HI's competing with DI's in Open is legitimate; neither gets a fair comparison.
  3. The shorter prep time for extemp has resulted in quality deterioration in the middle and bottom tiers, with little effect on those who are good.
  4. The decrease in topics is still a bad change, in my opinion. Variety means better speeches, and it doesn't seem to have served any real effect.

15-16: Churchman/Kauk
46-20

WI Open: 7-1 | 6-0 | 5th
KY: 4-3 | 4-2 | 12th
NC Open: 9-3 | 4-2 | 2nd
WI: 7-1 | 6-0 | 5th
OH: 4-3 | 4-2 | 13th
IL: 5-3 | 4-2 | 7th
Regionals: 5-4 | 3-3 | 4th
Nats: 6-2 | 5-1 | 5th

now coaching
top12gun@gmail.com
-
Chapman/Chapman

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:56 am 

Top12Gun wrote:
The shorter prep time for extemp has resulted in quality deterioration in the middle and bottom tiers, with little effect on those who are good.

Right, it made it more difficult. Nothing wrong with that. I enjoyed it because it kept me on my toes during prep. Plus, it really helped tournaments to run faster and smoother.

Top12Gun wrote:
The decrease in topics is still a bad change, in my opinion. Variety means better speeches, and it doesn't seem to have served any real effect.

I'd disagree. More topics simply give the student more room to utilize "canned" speeches that they have prepared which takes away an aspect of limited prep.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:13 am 

I've actually really enjoyed the changes! I competed in Biblical, and though I didn't know what to expect going in, it's actually one of my favorite events now! I'm not an extemper, so I can't speak to those changes. I've really actually appreciated the decreased number of topics in Apol and Impromptu. Limited prep has almost been my favorite type of speech, and the change has forced me to adapt to topics I'm less comfortable with. I've appreciated the growth developed there, even if it was perhaps a bit harder. I also think it helps with the problem of limited prep speakers using the same canned material every time, as they're less likely to receive a topic they can tie their generic stuff to.

I do quite miss HI and After Dinner, though. Trouble is, I really like the new speeches that have taken their place. Overall, I think the system of cycling categories in and out is probably the best way to go.

"Everything in this world is either a potato... or not a potato."