homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:24 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:58 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Well, this is interesting. I'm interested in whether the application process would allow leadership to block students they would rather not have in the position. That said, this is, on its face, a very good step.

15-16: Churchman/Kauk
46-20

WI Open: 7-1 | 6-0 | 5th
KY: 4-3 | 4-2 | 12th
NC Open: 9-3 | 4-2 | 2nd
WI: 7-1 | 6-0 | 5th
OH: 4-3 | 4-2 | 13th
IL: 5-3 | 4-2 | 7th
Regionals: 5-4 | 3-3 | 4th
Nats: 6-2 | 5-1 | 5th

now coaching
top12gun@gmail.com
-
Chapman/Chapman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:14 pm 

I'm a bit torn on this.

On the one hand, it seems like a step in the right direction. NCFCA needs more student input.

On the other hand, if students with "controversial" opinions (e.g. people who disagree with some things NCFCA does) are not allowed on the panel, then chances are little to no change will result. In fact, if only students who approve of everything NCFCA does are allowed on the panel, then I think it would make matters worse. Policies and actions would be given the stamp of student approval when in actuality the only support was from those who believe NCFCA can do no wrong.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

EDIT: I'm rather amused that this is one of the application questions: "What forms of social media and online forums do you actively use or participate in? Please include user names, links, profiles, etc." I'm guessing anyone who has criticized NCFCA on HSD is out. XP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:48 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
Quote:
I agree to always represent NCFCA honorably, even if I don’t personally agree with the specific rule, policy or decision.

I'm not sure this could be written any more vaguely. The fact that this exists indicates to me they're more interested representation from the board to the students than input from students to the board.

EDIT: to be fair, I don't think that's a bad thing--it's the right direction. Some communication is better than none.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:56 pm 

I definitely think it's a step in the right direction. Admittedly, I'm not one of those who has had any real concerns with NCFCA leadership in the past, but at the very least this program should provide students with greater understanding of how the leadership structure works in the first place.

"Everything in this world is either a potato... or not a potato."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:18 pm 

This makes me happy. In the very least it will get the ball rolling for change (though I don't think dramatic change is needed). I'd be interested to see more of how the council will be implemented and what sort of sway they will have on the NCFCA board with decisions.
In a way it's like it's own scholarship too, it's a resume builder for sure.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:27 pm 

marinadelayne wrote:
On the other hand, if students with "controversial" opinions (e.g. people who disagree with some things NCFCA does) are not allowed on the panel, then chances are little to no change will result. In fact, if only students who approve of everything NCFCA does are allowed on the panel, then I think it would make matters worse. Policies and actions would be given the stamp of student approval when in actuality the only support was from those who believe NCFCA can do no wrong.

This is an advisory council, not a veto committee. The correct path by NCFCA would be to find students who would fulfill the job of representing their region, students who share the general feelings of their region instead of their personal views.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:03 pm 

I agree with Ben and Joshua (EDIT: and John Mark, sorry man missed your post :P), this is a big step forward and most definitely in the right direction. NCFCA has the support of the majority of it's students (including me) even if we may differ on certain issues. This committee 1: gives the students involved a direct line to NCFCA leadership but 2: and I think even more importantly it gives other students in the region a student advocate. Someone who is a friend/peer/mentor of a lot of other competitors in their region and is therefore more approachable. Ultimately, I think it will lead to more discussion of controversial issues and a better understanding of all the parties involved in the league.

Long Justification :P
As I've interacted with Mrs. Teresa over my 4 years in the league (all in her home region of R7 so I see her quite often) I see someone who really wants the best for the league and by that I don't mean what makes everybody happy/making the popular decisions I mean someone who is focused on the mission statement of the league, someone who honors God with her life and with her leadership and someone who has a vested interest in the students of the league. Are there things in the league that need to be addressed? Obviously. That is why this council was created. That is why I hope to be apart of the council at some point. But is this council a means of hiding abuse and justifying terrible decision? Not in any way, shape, or form. I am saddened when people make hasty assumption about any and every decision the board of directors makes. They really do have our best interests in mind, as long as our interests are glorifying God. Questionable decisions are not a reason to condemn just a reason to ask questions. And so far every answer I have heard has been well thought out and justified. The student council, if it did nothing else at all, would at least give us more (and more thought out) answers. Basically a better understanding of both sides of the issue by both sides. I highly doubt that is all the council is therefore (in fact, I 99% positive it will be super awesome for the league) but I really don't see how this could be a bad thing at all.

Basically, the student council should be an awesome step for the league. and I can't wait to see who is selected.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:17 pm 

^^^^ So much everything Noah just said. ^^^^

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:24 am 

This council appears to have less actual influence that North Korea's parliament. I foresee few changes in the future as a result of this; expect NCFCA's leadership to remain just as disconnected and needlessly authoritarian as its been for the past several years.

2013-2014: Brejda/Kelley (qualified to regionals)
2014-2015: Brejda/Wismer (1st at regionals; 2-4 at nationals)

Region V Bracketgate 2015 - Never Forget

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:55 am 

Don't knock it before it's had a chance to get off the ground. It can't really hurt. :) I agree, the cynic in me thought "this board is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine." But at the same time, it is a step towards transparency, accountability, and student involvement (not things that the NCFCA lacks entirely, but ideals that we should be striving toward.) Ultimately, I'm pretty happy about it. I hope the NCFCA leadership is open to the input that these students provide.

Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '12-'16

Retired.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:04 am 

Quote:
"What forms of social media and online forums do you actively use or participate in? Please include user names, links, profiles, etc."

I wouldn't give this info for a paying job let alone a volunteer advisory position :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:09 pm 

Db8r_from_Dixie wrote:
Quote:
"What forms of social media and online forums do you actively use or participate in? Please include user names, links, profiles, etc."

I wouldn't give this info for a paying job let alone a volunteer advisory position :P

This question makes perfect sense. In a paid job it would totally make sense for the employer to view your social media feeds and see what kind of stuff you post, share, etc. Why the heck wouldn't you put that info on there?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:55 pm 

Look, the council doesn't even exist yet, people. It makes absolutely no sense to be bashing it before its even been established. The thing is, many of you ["you" meaning HSD'ers in general] have been complaining about supposedly "authoritarian" NCFCA policies for years, yet clearly some of you would rather just sit and mope than see actual change. The day the NCFCA actually puts into place a system designed to increase transparency and provide a route for student input, your first response is to assume it will be useless.

67% percent of respondents on the "The Time Has Come: Much Needed Reform" poll said that they believe NCFCA should make "specific reforms." People gave reasons like these:

LocutusofBorg wrote:
The board doesn't respond to student input.

VoiceofPeople wrote:
And how can we talk about United States elections, when we have no representation in the organization we must be submissive of?

And suggested fixes like these:

Anne wrote:
I do not think that the students should have the final say in the decisions that are made, but I think that students should still be more involved than they are right now. The students are the ones that are ultimately affected by every decision made in the league, so I don't see any problem with letting the students having more of a voice in decision-making.

VoiceofPeople wrote:
the voice of the students must be heard and heeded by NCFCA administration.

I understand if you feel that the NCFCA leadership should work differently. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But there is absolutely no logical reason for you to be attacking the league's attempt to do the very things you people have been asking the league to do for years.

TL;DR: In general, I think the wise thing would be to wait until the council actually exists and has been operating for a while before making any specific judgments about its functionality. It could very well help with the issues some people have had in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:30 am 

I wouldn't be knocking it if I thought it could serve any purpose other than serving as an echo chamber for NCFCA's current policies.

2013-2014: Brejda/Kelley (qualified to regionals)
2014-2015: Brejda/Wismer (1st at regionals; 2-4 at nationals)

Region V Bracketgate 2015 - Never Forget

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:06 pm 

Teddy_Roosevelt wrote:
I wouldn't be knocking it if I thought it could serve any purpose other than serving as an echo chamber for NCFCA's current policies.

I think his point is that you're jumping to irrational conclusions and being unreasonable. Nobody can say one way or the other. Another point he made is that you people have been calling for this kind of thing for a while, so quit whining and be happy until you've at least actually seen it. If it fails, feel free to tell me you told me so. Until then, I think it would be prudent to talk about something else.

Poythress B/Poythress P - (Election Law) 2014
Poythress B/Poythress P - (Middle East) 2015
Hudson W/Poythress P - (Court Reform) 2016
Poythress P/Roberts J - (China) 2017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:24 pm 

Teddy_Roosevelt wrote:

I don't really see what you guys were expecting to have happen. Did you want the NCFCA to all of a sudden say "Hey, what's with this whole President/Board thing? Why don't we just abolish it and leave it up to the individual regions to figure it all out?" If you are advocating for a reform, then let things happen slowly. Reform is a process.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:47 pm 

The big problem is I don't think Mrs. Hudson would want somebody who truly represents the body politic in region 5.

Voice of Reason wrote:
I don't really see what you guys were expecting to have happen. Did you want the NCFCA to all of a sudden say "Hey, what's with this whole President/Board thing? Why don't we just abolish it and leave it up to the individual regions to figure it all out?" If you are advocating for a reform, then let things happen slowly. Reform is a process.

Oh no I was expecting something like this. My expectations for NCFCA have always been low, though.

And I have to say, as Americans with our history and our heritage, I think we have the right to say "No, this isn't working. Either change now or we're out." It would be, dare I say, unpatriotic for Mrs. Hudson to expect anything less of us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:35 pm 

mountain dude wrote:
And I have to say, as Americans with our history and our heritage, I think we have the right to say "No, this isn't working. Either change now or we're out."

No offense, but you have a very poor understanding of American History if you view it as being a simple matter of "this isn't working." The issues surrounding American Independence were substantially more pressing than even the best grievances against NCFCA I've ever seen anyone present.

Also, you did leave NCFCA. :P While I would view such strong negative sentiments to be unfounded and irrational, if you do feel that strongly, then yes, get out.

Last edited by Hammy on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:54 pm 

Hammy wrote:
The issues surrounding American Independence were substantially more pressing than even the best grievances I've ever seen anyone present.

I Second That.
P.S. Except for maybe Michael Farris. He does a pretty good job in his Constitutional Literacy class.

Beckman/Hopkins 2015-2016
LD 2016-2017
Ellerslie Discipleship Training Summer 2017
http://www.ellerslie.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:42 pm 

sons_of_thunder wrote:
Hammy wrote:
The issues surrounding American Independence were substantially more pressing than even the best grievances I've ever seen anyone present.

I Second That.
P.S. Except for maybe Michael Farris. He does a pretty good job in his Constitutional Literacy class.

Whoops, what I meant is when compared to any of the arguments that people present against NCFCA. But now that you mention it, you're right. Michael Farris has done the best job that I've seen. :)