homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:58 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: California National Open
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:44 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
So NCFCA just randomly announced a fourth National Open in California today which is super weird. But cool! Thoughts?

http://www.ncfca.org/ca-national-open/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:50 pm 

QOWJOJAIJVWAIJEVOQIJEVPIQJVEIPOQJEVIPQWJVP OJPIEWUERPO@IMIRMQVPIQW<EI{QVMIMOEPWIQV PQW IPBFRPJ RPOQWVEIMPOQIMWEPVI QWMOEVMQWPOVRIP EPOQW RV

:D D: I WANNA GO SO BAD

Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '12-'16

Retired.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:55 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

My reaction: :o

I can't believe my eyes. WHY?? NCFCA continues to baffle me day by day.

But who cares? A National Open in California? I'll check my schedule and see if I can go to this. Hopefully, if I can, I can meet you guys!

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Truth is treason in an empire of lies...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:09 pm 

SWEET THIS IS AWESOME

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:28 pm 

Huh. They're also like setting up informational meetings there about NCFCA.

http://www.ncfca.org/wp-content/uploads ... _Flyer.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:35 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

mountain dude wrote:
Huh. They're also like setting up informational meetings there about NCFCA.

http://www.ncfca.org/wp-content/uploads ... _Flyer.pdf

So...they're invading California? Trying to take back the heart of the Confederacy? ;) Wow. It's not necessarily unprecedented...but very surprising that they're doing this.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:13 pm 

Evan wrote:
So...they're invading California? Trying to take back the heart of the Confederacy? Wow. It's not necessarily unprecedented...but very surprising that they're doing this.

I think the Revolutionary war is a better analogy here than the Civil war. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:14 pm 

Personally, I'm thrilled with the idea. I have no problem with Stoa; I simply choose to compete in only one league, and for me that's the NCFCA. But R2 certainly has declined hugely in number since Stoa was founded, and some growth in the region would be great. I'm hoping that having Nats in Spokane and this CA Open will help bring some new folks.

I have won things. No really, I promise.

"Everything in this world is either a potato... or not a potato."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:33 pm 

The main idea I think is to get more NCFCA presence in California. Which I think is cool, even though I probably can't go. :cry:

2014-2015 | Barnes/Spence
2015-2016 | Amedick/Barnes (2.0)
2016-2017 | Amedick/Barnes

"If you say "can't" you're restricting what you can do or ever will do."
-Michael Phelps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:46 pm 

Evan wrote:
So...they're invading California? Trying to take back the heart of the Confederacy? ;) Wow. It's not necessarily unprecedented...but very surprising that they're doing this.

It's about time we reclaimed land from the H*wl*tt P*ck*rd dissenters. :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:23 am 

BenVincent wrote:
But R2 certainly has declined hugely in number since Stoa was founded, and some growth in the region would be great. I'm hoping that having Nats in Spokane and this CA Open will help bring some new folks.

I think you mean since Stoa had presence in Region two specifically. And it hasn't "declined hugely" - in fact, only about 2 clubs left and went Stoa. And one of the clubs just recently decided to join NCFCA again. In addition, we've had some of the largest numbers ever recently in terms of R2 numbers. Stoa hasn't affected R2 very much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:53 am 

_idontknow_ wrote:
BenVincent wrote:
But R2 certainly has declined hugely in number since Stoa was founded, and some growth in the region would be great. I'm hoping that having Nats in Spokane and this CA Open will help bring some new folks.

I think you mean since Stoa had presence in Region two specifically. And it hasn't "declined hugely" - in fact, only about 2 clubs left and went Stoa. And one of the clubs just recently decided to join NCFCA again. In addition, we've had some of the largest numbers ever recently in terms of R2 numbers. Stoa hasn't affected R2 very much.

I was referring primarily to California specifically, as there are currently no NCFCA competitors from California, whereas before Stoa, California basically was Region 2, and the vast majority of competitors from the West Coast were from California. Now R2 is concentrated in the northwest. So I suppose that the region hasn't necessarily declined in number, but the numbers are more concentrated in the northwest and lack any California involvement at all. Thus, it would be beneficial to the region to get some presence in California.

Dang, I never thought I'd use the word California that many times in one paragraph.

I have won things. No really, I promise.

"Everything in this world is either a potato... or not a potato."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:09 am 

Quote:
I was referring primarily to California specifically, as there are currently no NCFCA competitors from California, whereas before Stoa, California basically was Region 2, and the vast majority of competitors from the West Coast were from California. Now R2 is concentrated in the northwest. So I suppose that the region hasn't necessarily declined in number, but the numbers are more concentrated in the northwest and lack any California involvement at all. Thus, it would be beneficial to the region to get some presence in California.

For the past 8 years R2 has been concentrated in the North West. So maybe a LONG time ago when the NCFCA hardly existed there was some CA presence, but R2 has almost always been Northwestern.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:20 am 
Hint hint peoples.

_idontknow_ wrote:
Quote:

For the past 8 years R2 has been concentrated in the North West. So maybe a LONG time ago when the NCFCA hardly existed there was some CA presence, but R2 has almost always been Northwestern.

Ah, no. Check your facts. California was a HUGE part of Region II, and the entire state left when we broke away to form Stoa. I know of a grand total of two competitors from California who participated in NCFCA over the last six years. So now that NCFCA is coming back, it's kind of a big deal, and we'll see if it brings in a good number of committed recruits. (I say "committed" because the Open might just draw a ton of one-time Stoa trolls)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:14 am 
is jealous

Evan wrote:
_idontknow_ wrote:
Quote:

Ah, no. Check your facts. California was a HUGE part of Region II, and the entire state left when we broke away to form Stoa. I know of a grand total of two competitors from California who participated in NCFCA over the last six years. So now that NCFCA is coming back, it's kind of a big deal, and we'll see if it brings in a good number of committed recruits. (I say "committed" because the Open might just draw a ton of one-time Stoa trolls)

My older siblings and I used to compete in NCFCA in R2, California was a one-state region. Even as only one state, we had more competitors than most of the regions with multiple states. :lol: So "hardly any California involvement" is a huuuuuuge understatement. :P I mean, check the history of past NCFCA nationals winners before the Stoa split, most of the people who won events were from California :D
This is interesting though, it'll be interesting to see if it draws new members to NCFCA. I might go if the date works out well with my school schedule, it'd be cool to meet some of y'all. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:25 am 

Dibbles wrote:
Evan wrote:
_idontknow_ wrote:
Quote:

My older siblings and I used to compete in NCFCA in R2, California was a one-state region. Even as only one state, we had more competitors than most of the regions with multiple states. :lol: So "hardly any California involvement" is a huuuuuuge understatement. :P I mean, check the history of past NCFCA nationals winners before the Stoa split, most of the people who won events were from California :D
This is interesting though, it'll be interesting to see if it draws new members to NCFCA. I might go if the date works out well with my school schedule, it'd be cool to meet some of y'all. :)

Exactly. It was a one-stage region. I'm talking about it being part of R2.