homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:33 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:25 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
mountain dude wrote:

Nothing in there about teaching kids to follow rules; therefore it's not their job. I think this is honestly a club difference-some clubs go over the rules a lot and emphasize them to the students, some don't. If I had a college prof that gave me a zero for not stapling a paper I would audit that prof and give him a low rating.

tl;dr It's not NCFCA's job to teach us how to obey rules.

Well you'd still have a zero which could have been easily avoided if you had followed the rules.

Hammy wrote:
Also, Cashley died in a hole. I don't know why you keep trusting him. I mean sure he's super good at mafia and knows exactly what he's doing, but I feel like maybe some game you would just not trust him. :P Props to you Cashley, always making my games exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:51 am 

Hammy wrote:
Question, do you object to people being in authority over you?

mountain dude wrote:
NCFCA doesn't punish any first-time infraction of the rules unless it is either an infraction that is central to the entire speech (in which case the competitor would have to give a significantly different presentation to correct the error) or it gives the competitor an unfair advantage over the other competitors in the room, in which case the tournament officials will make a judgement on the degree of punishment (I'd suggest a rank penalty) based on the unfair advantage that the competitor gained over the other competitors, the most severe penalty being that the competitor is dropped to the very bottom of the room for every round that he was not in compliance with the rules.

To be straight forward, this changes absolutely nothing. Regardless of whether or not I agree with rules, this is clearly a subjective standard that still relies on the judgement of tournament officials which is the standard that NCFCA currently operates off of. This is why if you want to highlight changes they have to be specific.

It changes everything. I've seen literally dozens of speeches dropped to the bottom for minor rule violations; this would allow those competitors to continue competing and fix the issues in their speeches. I just set out a formula for which rule violations would be punished how. I don't have time to type out more examples, you look up the rules and see if you can think of some if you want any. Honestly it's more of a formula for punishing violations that I wish was followed than a set of specific rules that I disagree with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:52 am 

Also @Hammy, no I don't have a problem with authority being over me. I have a problem with the authority over me being abused. Please don't paint me as an anarchist, because I do think that the league is important and that regulation and punishment is necessary, I just strongly disagree with how it's currently being done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:53 am 

The Invisible Hand wrote:
Well you'd still have a zero which could have been easily avoided if you had followed the rules.

It could have been, and it is in the majority of cases. That doesn't mean that I should have a zero, or anyone should, because they had a brain fart.