homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:29 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: NCFCA Resolutions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:52 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
LD: A National security

TP: B Courts

Post subject: Re: NCFCA Resolutions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:54 am 

They also got rid of After Dinner and Humorous. Replacing with Biblical Interpretation (which I find interesting) and Biographical narrative.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:01 am 

Excellent. Glad I get to argue the constitution.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:06 am 

Not that I care, but original interp is an AWFUL event. I shudder to think that I may have to judge one someday.

Drew wrote:
GumboSoup wrote:
Dads ftw.
Tim is your dad?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:59 am 

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
They also got rid of After Dinner and Humorous. Replacing with Biblical Interpretation (which I find interesting) and Biographical narrative.

Are these humans insane??? They got rid of some of the better events for some of the most boring events. Several of the info's I judged were basically biographical narratives and they were seriously the most boring thing to watch ever, even if they were well written and well spoken. Original interp is bad because no high school student writes as well as they think they do and Biblical Interpretation sounds like a very limited category. Also...why does it need to be its own category? You can just do Bible stories in normal interp. My desire to judge speech grows ever smaller with each passing year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:16 pm 

Masked Midnight wrote:
Getting rid of HI for a season is, in my opinion, genuinely one of the worst decisions the league has made yet.

Yeah, I'm not excited for that. I know that Open is a mixture of humorous pieces and dramatic pieces at the collegiate level, but I'm not looking forward to performing my more serious Open against pieces that were intended to be HIs. Not only will that be difficult for the competitor, but the judge as well.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:57 pm 

SavyAvy wrote:
Masked Midnight wrote:
Getting rid of HI for a season is, in my opinion, genuinely one of the worst decisions the league has made yet.

Yeah, I'm not excited for that. I know that Open is a mixture of humorous pieces and dramatic pieces at the collegiate level, but I'm not looking forward to performing my more serious Open against pieces that were intended to be HIs. Not only will that be difficult for the competitor, but the judge as well.

While it is is true that in college serious and funny pieces are together, there are still two different types of individual interp (DI and Prose) so you can do two different pieces. In addition, rarely is there a piece that is all serious or all funny. They have more levels and variety so there is not the stark contrast between the high school type cry and die DIs and the shallow and fluffy HIs. In this sense, the college system works to have both together, but I honestly don't think it can work in high school based on the lit people use.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:14 am 

Sorry, I just got back from weeping about these announcements.

2013-2014 - LD
2014-2015 - LD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:58 am 

However, since Biblical interp is a thing and we have to accept it can someone please interp the Song of Solomon or possibly the ancestral line of Jesus? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:46 am 

Masked Midnight wrote:

This. And that's saying something.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:57 am 

In my opinion HI was getting pretty stale, but that doesn't equate to a justification for getting rid of it. What I wanted was a quasi-humorous/After-dinner event that would allow debaters to modify actual texts or make their own (perhaps allow for competitor-inserted comments, etc).
As mentioned previously, it will become a BIG issue about having Funny vs. Serious speeches competing against each other. An example of this would be in Duo Interpretations. Perhaps I'm the only one who's noticed this, but I've seen that judges seem to be compelled to weigh serious vs. humorous and in many cases (not all) will feel obligated out of conscience to rank some on that basis.

2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:59 am 

Also, could a moderator do a thread split on these issues? Potentially:
League Announcements (Resolutions)
League Announcements (Events changed)
League Announcements (Region 8 re-districting, whatever else is happening in the other regions)

2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:41 am 

I dunno what happened with Region 4 (Mrs. Hudson had meetings with the parents of each region individually), but in Region 8 it got divided into a Florida district and a Georgia-SC district. There will be 6 qualifiers: Two for the entire region, two for the FL district only, and two for the GA-SC district only. Regionals will be as usual.

2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:20 am 

In this year's region IV competition there were five tournaments, three open to everyone and two that you picked one to compete in at the cost of not being in the other. I ended up having the opportunity to compete with my partner at one of the tournaments but not the other so it was quite beneficial to have things set up that way. I don't know if the region split for region VIII is necessary, but the situation in region IV was just fine with me. I'm more worried that the leadership would decide to snip Oklahoma off of Region IV or split the region completely.

I have other thoughts on Biblical Interpretation and quite a few questions, and I think the most iffy decision by the leadership is including such a limited category for IEs. This is a Christian league, but I don't think it's necessary to dedicate two events exclusively to Christianity. Especially when there's nothing in Biblical Interp that one couldn't already do in Open Interp! In addition, which Bible is being chosen by the NCFCA for competition? Are there going to be major JO discussions where different denominations are alienated? Catholics, for example, have more books in the Bible than most other denominations. What happens if someone ends up giving one of those for an interp? That question best be answered soon. To sum things up, Biblical Interp is incredibly limited and shows lack of foresight for competitive viability by the NCFCA leadership.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:12 pm 
Is now cool

I just can't imagine what it will be like to try to cut ten minutes of workable, interesting material from the Bible. Some of the Catholic books would be interesting, but we've already mentioned the JO issues that come along with that. Getting rid of HI for this was a terrible decision.

Not gonna lie, I'm glad to see BN back. It was a good event. Not as good as OO, but whatcha gonna do

Maybe this is just me being old, but I'm pretty sure that the events that were around when I was a young 'un were the best events we ever had. A simple mix of HI DI Duo and open/thematic. Pers, IO and original. Apol extemp imp. That's a good, balanced mix. I always wanted another limited prep but still, they were all good events. Why change that?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:24 am 

ShaynePC wrote:
Agreed. The best events was that original balance.

And yeah.. BI is going to be a flop

I would have been fine with replacing OI with TI. I think TI has much more potential as an event since it's not just "that other interp since I already have DI and HI."

There are now 3 events I refuse to judge, up from one. I have always refused to compete in/judge apol. BI is added to that, for similar reasons, and BN just because it'll be terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:20 am 

I talked to someone who talked to Mrs. Hudson about HI. She said that, the reason they got rid of HI was because of what it was turning into. Or what the "stories" were turning into. Instead of having really stories, there were slapstick pieces and pieces like: "ten ways to blank." Which wasn't what HI was supposed to be.
But I do think they could have made some rule changes instead of taking it out completely. :cry:

2014-2015 | Barnes/Spence
2015-2016 | Amedick/Barnes (2.0)
2016-2017 | Amedick/Barnes

"If you say "can't" you're restricting what you can do or ever will do."
-Michael Phelps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:02 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
Jonah.a.barnes wrote:
I talked to someone who talked to Mrs. Hudson about HI. She said that, the reason they got rid of HI was because of what it was turning into. Or what the "stories" were turning into. Instead of having really stories, there were slapstick pieces and pieces like: "ten ways to blank." Which wasn't what HI was supposed to be.
But I do think they could have made some rule changes instead of taking it out completely. :cry:

Theyve been having this discussion for some time. When Brady Clayton won 2010 nats with "Babyhood," people quickly realized that they could technically do standup skits and do really well.

Which, frankly, I don't think is a bad thing. I think it's be great if they created a "comedic oratory" section.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:04 am 

So let's nuke everything instead of teaching people how to do good speeches? Or opening up internet/videos to interp so that actually fresh literature is available?

Outside the NCFCA (and maybe Stoa, not sure) those speeches don't exist. Why? Because you can use more than printed books. Open up the internet, TV shows, and movies and you will see a lot more variety.

EDIT: I also don't like how they keep doing speeches for one or two years and then axing them. Yes, ADS and, I would assume, TI were terrible. But that's largely because people haven't figured out how to do it yet. Give it time and there will be marked improvement in those events. That being said, I'm a fan of axing BI at any point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:06 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
Settota wrote:
However, since Biblical interp is a thing and we have to accept it can someone please interp the Song of Solomon or possibly the ancestral line of Jesus? ;)

I will buy whoever does this a large ice cream cone from chickfila. Or pretty much anywhere.