homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Which resolutions are you voting for
A. Resolved: That the United States Federal Government should significantly reform its agricultural policies. 19%  19%  [ 17 ]
B. Resolved: That the United States Federal Court system should be significantly reformed. 22%  22%  [ 20 ]
C. Resolved: That the United States Federal Government should significantly reform one or more of the following programs: Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
A. Resolved: When in conflict, the right to individual privacy is more important than national security. 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
B. Resolved: Judicial activism ought to be valued above judicial restraint. 28%  28%  [ 25 ]
C. Resolved: A just government ought to provide for the basic welfare of its citizens. 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 89
 Post subject: New Resolution Choices!
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:45 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Well, they're up!!

Which one(s) do you like best?

Last edited by marinadelayne on Wed May 20, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:52 pm 

These look pretty cool. :becool:

2014-2015 | Barnes/Spence
2015-2016 | Amedick/Barnes (2.0)
2016-2017 | Amedick/Barnes

"If you say "can't" you're restricting what you can do or ever will do."
-Michael Phelps

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:56 pm 

Thanks! I hadn't seen them yet!
All the LD resolutions look world's better than the options we had this year.
A. I feel like this overlaps a ton with the whole National Security over freedom of the press.
B. Quite intriguing
C. So would this be a debate between "a little welfare" and none at all? I suppose there is an option for this. It will probably come down to Private Charities vs. Public Entitlements.

As far as TP, I feel like they are all decent and are a lot more narrow than this year. I feel like resolution B would have a bit too much overlap on the Criminal Justice Resolution of 5 years ago so I'd rather not have that come around (I really don't like recycled cases and we'd get a bunch of them).
Resolution A is probably what I'm leaning toward right now.
Resolution C would definitely be educational, but I feel like it would get stale after a bit and may be a little too specific.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:12 pm 

TP A and B are both similar to previous resolutions–Environment for A, (which a few of us debated and many of us timed) and CJS for B–and they're both also pretty narrow. I would vote C because I've wanted to have a medical-ish topic for a long time, and I think this is exactly the right width of topic for a domestic resolution. Plus you won't get "Abolish Abortion" or "Abolish Obamacare" because they don't really apply, so I think this really hits the spot.

Also, C would make an AJAC really easy. Three areas, three cases. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LD I would go with B. C is dumb, and A (as JMP said) is a lot like last year's resolution.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:38 pm 

Also, just fyi (coming from the son of a guy who practices medicine) Resolution C is a LOT deeper and more interesting than you might think. Go read the explanation on the NCFCA site. Social security is definitely the biggest area...but Medicare and Medicaid are big too.

NCFCA TP Resolution Overview

Social Security Link 1
Social Security Link 2
Social Security Link 3
Social Security Link 4

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:39 pm 

ShaynePC wrote:
Post them here for people without access?
They're in the poll. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:25 pm 

TP A and B are the most interesting ones, in my opinion. I hate C. So much bias.

The LD resolutions aren't great. I think B is the best option for deeper debate with less judge bias. I can't imagine why anyone would want to debate national security again, plus this year has showed that having a conservative-leaning side on aff is horrible. C is also pretty biased, and aff will define "basic welfare" as minimally as possible, so it'll just be a definitions debate and that's also horrible.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:27 pm 

Ok, seriously, please no one pick LD A. Worst resolution ever. The fact is, there is no way you can possibly prove it one way or the other. IT DEPENDS on the situation! For instance, if violating one man's privacy will save a million lives, we should do it, but if violating 100 men's privacy will have a 0.001% chance of saving one life, we shouldn't do it.

I personally like LD B and TP B the best. If it were B, I might run a case to make the accusers pay the accused's legal fees if the accuser loses in civil court. I like all three TP resolutions a lot though. A would be pretty fun.

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:49 pm 

vote B plz

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:50 pm 

For LD, I also think I'd definitely go with B; A is too similar to last year (though I wasn't debating then) and C is just lame, plus it would touch on similar values as this year's.

One thing that gets me super pumped about B is that it has far less bias issues than this year's or last year's. If there's bias it will likely be toward neg, which is WAY better than bias toward the aff. I feel like this should be a good, balanced rez for the most part.

I have won things. No really, I promise.

"Everything in this world is either a potato... or not a potato."

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:12 pm 

I think B is the best TP resolution, though I think A would also be ok. C has too much bias and is simply boring. Choice A might also have a lot of bias because it would open up programs such as food stamps to reform. Also, Criminal Justice year was a while ago, most of the backfiles on C would be really outdated and practically useless. I don't think recycled cases would be that common and there's no real reason that they are bad.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:23 pm 

A and B are too narrow. A deals with basically 2 things: the farm bill and possibly the EPA, and the farm bill won't be relevant again for 4 years.

B is very similar to CJS, not very current, boring, and narrow.

C has some bias just like every resolution, but it'd be more educational and more interesting than the first two choices.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:50 pm 

Location: Flickering between dimensions and always returning to somewhere in Tennessee.
mountain dude wrote:
A and B are too narrow. A deals with basically 2 things: the farm bill and possibly the EPA, and the farm bill won't be relevant again for 4 years.

A: Forestry, fishery, pesticides, bio fuels, food stamps, subsides, tariffs, taxation, plus everything you would normally think farming includes. This resolution allows for quite a few cases that explore multiple areas.

B: Absolutely it is narrow. Five cases will probably end up being run. Plus the debates will end up being about the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law.

C: There is a huge judge bias. Depending on your region, it might be slightly smaller, but in general the bias on healthcare and subsidizing outweighs the educational benefit.

Honestly, A is honestly the best option. Even though it is slightly broad it allows for an actual debate instead of few cases or judge bias.

Region 7 - NCFCA

| Huckabay/Stewart | 2012-2013, UN Year |
| Huckabay/Stewart | 2013-2014, Election Law Year |
| Huckabay/Vest | 2014-2015, Middle East Year |
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:24 pm 

Ok, I shouldn't say A is terrible. It's not; it'd definitely be my second choice. But I think C edges it out, despite the judge bias, for two reasons.

-There might be a lot of judge bias towards reforming Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid but unless you run a whole res case, there is SO much evidence on both sides of any particular reform. Also from what I've observed, there's typically a negative bias in domestic resolutions (more than 60% of my wins in domestic years have been on negative), so maybe this is a good opportunity to get a resolution that's more balanced.

-Welfare programs are a much more relevant political issue than agricultural policy. It'd be better, in the long run, for a lot of us to have a thorough understanding of welfare programs than the U.S.'s agricultural policy. I'm not saying agriculture is irrelevant, but it's not as relevant as welfare programs.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:26 pm 

But please, Please, PLEEEASE nobody vote for TP B. It's narrow, boring, narrow, irrelevant, boring, narrow, irrelevant, boring, and narrow. Did I say it was boring?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:28 pm 

mountain dude wrote:
But please, Please, PLEEEASE nobody vote for TP B. It's narrow, boring, narrow, irrelevant, boring, narrow, irrelevant, boring, and narrow. Did I say it was boring?

Why? The federal court system in the news a bunch and it is an important topic. There is plenty to be done with topic it isn't as narrow as you think. And anyways narrow resolutions are usually better than broad ones because it means you could dig more into a specific topic and actually understand it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:31 pm 

Actually, I think my favorite ever resolution was this year's and it's easily the broadest resolution we've had.

I'm not saying it's a terrible topic; it'd be okay, but next to Ag policy or Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid, it's relatively lame. Those resolutions are both more interesting and more relevant.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:08 pm 

Anybody have any suggestions or idea of what cases would look like under TP rez C. (SS/medicare/medicaid)?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:23 pm 

mountain dude wrote:
Actually, I think my favorite ever resolution was this year's and it's easily the broadest resolution we've had.

I'm not saying it's a terrible topic; it'd be okay, but next to Ag policy or Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid, it's relatively lame. Those resolutions are both more interesting and more relevant.

Ehh why do you like this years so much? My problem with broad resolutions is that they quite often drift away from the core of what we're debating and into minor cases that are run to win rounds. With a narrow resolution this isn't as easily done and you stay better on topic.

KK that makes sense. I personally find it to be very relevant given that it could influence things like judicial appointments and the function of the Supreme Court. Along with specific laws about sentencing and maybe things like a federal death penalty.

Agriculture strikes me as being very broad and not really that interesting. My interest level isn't a reason to not vote for it, but the broadness may well be.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:36 pm 

In my four years it's been: Middle East > UN > Criminal Justice > Election Law. Strangely enough :D, my case preference is in the same order for each of those years.
I like broad-based resolutions. I think all 3 are somewhat relevant and I honestly don't know what I want to vote for.
I'm probably going to base my decision more on what I want to avoid most rather than what I want.
I don't like the idea of having to debate about the 2014 and 2019 farm bills for an entire year. The floor for the Agriculture resolution is very low but I see this resolution as having the highest ceiling.
I see this as having a lower ceiling of potential but still quite educational and should have some great debates. I think it has the opportunity of causing the least amount of judge bias.
SS+M-care+M-caid is the lowest because of the bias that will be present. I also feel like some pretty picayune cases could be run. It also would require A LOT of knowledge of how the system works and that can prevent good rounds from taking place.
My verdict: Agriculture >/= Court System > SS, Medicare, & Medicaid

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter