homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:21 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:44 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Hey guys!

As many of you know, I'm Marina Barnes (of Amedick/Barnes), a TPer from RIX. I coordinated the NC Open prep group earlier this year and found it to be quite helpful, so I figured I'd go ahead and get a prep group started for Nationals.

In essence, we'll be researching the cases to be run at Nationals on a rolling basis of brief assignments. You will be assigned a case to research each week and will submit the brief to me by a deadline. After the deadline passes, I will distribute all of the briefs to teams that successfully met the deadline, as well as send out the next week's assignments. As long as you have a willingness to research and have fun, you are welcome to join; every region's TPers are invited. We'll be prepping against the cases you select; assignments will be based on your suggestions. If there's a case that you'd like in particular to research, I'm open to letting you do so (so long as it's not your own case).

A few guidelines for briefs:
-Must be *at least* 8 pages, not including the TOC/strategy notes
-Must include a TOC and page numbers
-Must include at least one disadvantage
-Must include complete citations (e.g. author, credentials, date, publication, url, researcher's initials, etc.)

For example....

Proper Citations wrote:
Tagline
Author [Credentials], "Article Title", Published by Publisher, Date, Date Accessed. Tracking Information [Initials]

So it will look like this:

USAID and NGOs have trouble delivering aid to Syrian refugees
Teresa Welsh [foreign affairs reporter for US News & World Report], "The Challenge of the Syrian Refugee Response," Published by US News & World Report, January 9, 2015, accessed January 17, 2015. http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... anizations [MB]

Please only include arguments that you would actually run in round. No one wants a brief filled with lame arguments. :P Try to come up with new arguments against the case if possible, rather than simply filling a brief with the arguments "everyone runs." Also, make the arguments diverse (not one argument proving a point with a dozen isolated incidents that "prove" it).

Strategy notes are not *required,* but it'd be great if you could include them.

Finally, try to make your formatting as clean and easy to use as possible. If you can save your brief as a pdf so as to preserve formatting, that'd be fantastic. And, as always, please cut and cite evidence ethically. :)

If you are interested in joining or want more information, please PM me or email me at marinadelayne@cox.net.

Assignments for the first cycle will be sent out on Friday, May 15th, and the briefs for the first cycle will be due at Midnight the following Friday (May 22nd). On Saturday, May 23rd, I will send out all of the briefs I received as well as the next cycle's assignments, which will be due on Friday, May 29th. There will be four cycles in total, the last of which will end on June 12th. You are welcome to join late, but understand that you will only receive briefs for the cycles that you contribute to.

Thanks! See you in Minnesota!

Participating teams:
Alles/Klaves
Aluri/Caiello
Amedick/Barnes
Baldacci/Hansen
Bass/Moffatt
Beaver/Herring
Blacklock/Min
Blow/Price
Bush/Lee
Canna/Martin
Cash/Wortham
Cha/Hulbert
Eskelund/Paul
Folkert/Porter
Hendrickson/Shelton
Howard/Howard
Hungar/Monroe
Johannes/Rose
LaBorde/Pomerantz
Mech/Reeves
Patton/Rogers
Stacy/Stacy

Schedule:
May 15th: Cycle 1 assignments sent out
May 22nd: Cycle 1 briefs due
May 23rd: Cycle 1 briefs distributed, Cycle 2 assignments sent out
May 29th: Cycle 2 briefs due
May 30th: Cycle 2 briefs distributed, Cycle 3 assignments sent out
June 5th: Cycle 3 briefs due
June 6th: Cycle 3 briefs distributed, Cycle 4 assignments sent out
June 12th: Cycle 4 briefs due
June 13th: Cycle 4 briefs distributed

Last edited by marinadelayne on Wed May 20, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:17 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Bumping this to say that first assignments go out tomorrow. If you are planning on joining, now is the time to sign up!

As it is right now, participating teams should receive 84 separate briefs (in addition to the 4 briefs they write themselves) by nationals - and that number increases as membership increases - so it is definitely worth your time to join. :) If you join late you are welcome to attempt to catch up, but you will only receive briefs for cycles in which you submit briefs.

Also, if there are other nationally qualified teams that you know of who are not on HSD, feel free to share this information with them. The more the merrier! I want to make sure teams from every region are given the opportunity to join. :)