homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:31 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:53 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Hello Everyone,

Marina got this started before the last National Open tournament so I figure why not have another one, much of this is copied from her post.

Last time 18 teams contributed a total of 36 briefs and about 200 pages of evidence if I remember correctly, so it can be a very valuable resource. I myself will not be going to the NO, but I found the impromptu Research Group to be very helpful and think it should be open for all who want to participate whether they are coming or not.

Each team will be assigned two briefs (obtained from the National caselist) to write before the tournament (early-birds get to volunteer, so sign-up soon!). These briefs shall be distributed among all participants in the prep group. The case topics will be selected from the national case list, as well as any suggestions or requests people may have. The briefs will be submitted by midnight EST on Sunday, March 8 and will be sent out the following Morning.

You can join at any time, but the early birds get to choose what they want to write on and also will have more time to research (which = less pressure ;)).

The Guidelines for the briefs:
-Must be *at least* 5 pages or (preferably) 10+ cards, not including separate page for the TOC
-Briefs should have page numbers (please send them as word documents if possible)
-Must include complete citations (e.g. author, credentials, date, publication, url, researcher's initials, etc.)
-Must include at least one disadvantage

Please only include arguments that you would actually run in round. No one wants a brief filled with lame arguments. :P Also, make the arguments diverse (not one argument proving a point with a dozen isolated incidents that "prove" it).

If you are interested, pm or e-mail me at johnmarkporter@earthlink.net and I will give you access to the google document which has the assignments.

(Also, I'll be at a tournament this coming week and gone Tuesday-Sunday so if I don't get back to you quickly that's why). I'll bump this up again a week or so before the tourney.)

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:53 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
The confirmation list has been released and the case list filled in. If you wish to be a part then e-mail me per the above instructions.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter