homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:40 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 203
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Region II Oregon
Hammy wrote:
IsaacFHarris wrote:
I think it's best to trust the people that have been involved in this process for a long time (ie, Mrs. Hudson) and also acknowledge that you are simply not going to bring this event back, even if it did serve a purpose previously.

I see the logic for your whole post except for this part. Is Obama a good President since he has been around much longer then us, or involved in the system more? (speaking from last elections standpoint) Should we give up trying to put someone else in office?

Are you saying you don't like the way that Mrs. Hudson and the rest of the board run NCFCA? if not then you might as well go to Stoa. That's why Stoa was started in the first place.


(I am not trying to be offensive to Stoa people. Hammy's post just kind of made me mad, comparing Mrs. Hudson to Obama.)

_________________
I am ninja!
Best/Tähtinen|Rainmakers|2010-2011
Mckenzie/Tähtinen|Rainmakers|2011-2012
Miu/Tahtinen|Rainmakers|2012-2013


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm
Posts: 1377
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: H*wL*tt P*ck*rd muffins
Highlander wrote:
Hammy wrote:
IsaacFHarris wrote:
I think it's best to trust the people that have been involved in this process for a long time (ie, Mrs. Hudson) and also acknowledge that you are simply not going to bring this event back, even if it did serve a purpose previously.

I see the logic for your whole post except for this part. Is Obama a good President since he has been around much longer then us, or involved in the system more? (speaking from last elections standpoint) Should we give up trying to put someone else in office?

Are you saying you don't like the way that Mrs. Hudson and the rest of the board run NCFCA? if not then you might as well go to Stoa. That's why Stoa was started in the first place.


(I am not trying to be offensive to Stoa people. Hammy's post just kind of made me mad, comparing Mrs. Hudson to Obama.)

No no, you missed my point completely Highlander. :) I was showing what Isaac's logic would look like if we applied it to the office of Presidency in the US. By no means am I comparing Mrs. Hudson to Obama, merely that they hold similar positions of authority. :)

Though the rest of his logic is concrete and almost sways me to the other side. It's good to have an eyewitness account of it. :D

_________________
-Joshua
The dumb Boatswain's Mate who once did debate
Proud Coastie, Puddle Pirate, and Shallow Water Sailor


Last edited by Hammy on Sat May 18, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 203
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Region II Oregon
No Razi, we want to keep you!!!

_________________
I am ninja!
Best/Tähtinen|Rainmakers|2010-2011
Mckenzie/Tähtinen|Rainmakers|2011-2012
Miu/Tahtinen|Rainmakers|2012-2013


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 203
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Region II Oregon
Hammy wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Hammy wrote:
IsaacFHarris wrote:
I think it's best to trust the people that have been involved in this process for a long time (ie, Mrs. Hudson) and also acknowledge that you are simply not going to bring this event back, even if it did serve a purpose previously.

I see the logic for your whole post except for this part. Is Obama a good President since he has been around much longer then us, or involved in the system more? (speaking from last elections standpoint) Should we give up trying to put someone else in office?

Are you saying you don't like the way that Mrs. Hudson and the rest of the board run NCFCA? if not then you might as well go to Stoa. That's why Stoa was started in the first place.


(I am not trying to be offensive to Stoa people. Hammy's post just kind of made me mad, comparing Mrs. Hudson to Obama.)

No no, you missed my point completely Highlander. :) I was showing what Isaac's logic would look like if we applied it to the office of Presidency in the US. By no means am I comparing Mrs. Hudson to Obama, merely that they hold similar positions of authority. :)

Though the rest of his logic is concrete and almost sways me to the other side. It's good to have an eyewitness account of it. :D

The problem with your logic is the organizations you are comparing. NCFCA is a lot different than the government. Purposefully everything is considered long and hard through head knowledge and prayer. Also, the mindset you are putting forward is that the people who have been around a long time don't have experience, and don't know what is good for the organization. The people who have been around long enough to understand what is best for competitors, as well as what God has designed the organization for.


(I apologize to anyone I offend while on forums. I tend to be overly honest to the point of offense at times.)

_________________
I am ninja!
Best/Tähtinen|Rainmakers|2010-2011
Mckenzie/Tähtinen|Rainmakers|2011-2012
Miu/Tahtinen|Rainmakers|2012-2013


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm
Posts: 1377
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: H*wL*tt P*ck*rd muffins
In all honesty, most of the application was against his condescending argument of how we're not going to get anything changed. ;) I do agree entirely that the government and NCFCA are very different, but the general concept of leadership is still in both. :)

None taken. :) I tend to have the same problem when dealing with 'online' people.

_________________
-Joshua
The dumb Boatswain's Mate who once did debate
Proud Coastie, Puddle Pirate, and Shallow Water Sailor


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 7:01 pm
Posts: 160
Home Schooled: Yes
Hammy, your analogy isn't applicable for one simple reason: You're assuming that we're all unhappy with how the leadership has operated in the NCFCA. You say that just because the leadership has been around long doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get someone else elected, someone who we can trust. Once again, assuming that we don't trust current leadership. This parallel is inconsistent because:

1) Obama will be gone. He has a term limit. I don't think Mrs. Hudson does ;)
2) I don't think any significant portion of the NCFCA is trying to boot Mrs. Hudson out.
3) I don't think I'm aware of a single individual in a leadership position who's actually in favor of bringing this event back.

All of this points to one thing: unless one of you pro-duo impromptu happens into a powerful position of leadership soon, Duo Impromptu is not going to be approved by the league.

But I am glad you see the reasoning in the rest of what I said.

_________________
Isaac Franklin

09-10 | Edmonds/Harris | Rainmakers | R3
10-11 | Edmonds/Harris | Rainmakers | R2
11-12 | Aldrich/Harris | Rainmakers | R2
12-13 | Bayliss/Harris | Rainmakers | R2


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm
Posts: 1377
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: H*wL*tt P*ck*rd muffins
I hope that I get to debate you at Nats. :D

My point was more that assuming that someone is good because they've been around for a long time is a mistake. Again, nothing against Mrs. Hudson or the rest of the NCFCA leadership. They have done a good job of running NCFCA, but it's not for the sole reason that they've been around for a long time. ;)

_________________
-Joshua
The dumb Boatswain's Mate who once did debate
Proud Coastie, Puddle Pirate, and Shallow Water Sailor


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:06 pm
Posts: 207
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Wherever the tournament is.
Hammy wrote:
I hope that I get to debate you at Nats. :D

My point was more that assuming that someone is good because they've been around for a long time is a mistake. Again, nothing against Mrs. Hudson or the rest of the NCFCA leadership. They have done a good job of running NCFCA, but it's not for the sole reason that they've been around for a long time. ;)

Well you did get to debate him at NATS. ;) Twice.

Honestly Hammy and my other various impromptu duo supporters...this event will probably never be brought back. :P I wish they would consider it again, but it most likely wont happen.

With that you all have two options.
One, be all sad and dejected because the rest of NCFCA thinks this aspiration a lame one.
Or two, make me President of NCFCA one day and put this object on my agenda. :D

_________________
Emily E. Rose
2011-2012 | Rose/Schvaneveldt | UADC | R8
2012-2013 | Rose/Schvaneveldt | UADC | R8
2013-2014 | Rose/Schvaneveldt | UADC | R8

Hammy wrote:
Like bacon on that sandwich, you can change me from its mediocre self into a vibrant living sandwich of ecstasy.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm
Posts: 1377
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: H*wL*tt P*ck*rd muffins
I forgot to mention this. During one of the QA sessions at Nats people were asking questions about which new speeches would be coming. All Mrs. Hudson would say is that Duo Impromptu will never come back. :DSo much for this thread.

_________________
-Joshua
The dumb Boatswain's Mate who once did debate
Proud Coastie, Puddle Pirate, and Shallow Water Sailor


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm
Posts: 1377
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: H*wL*tt P*ck*rd muffins
Masked Midnight wrote:
Hammy wrote:
All Mrs. Hudson would say is that Duo Impromptu will never come back.

At least insofar as her presidency lasts, that is. ;)

Which will probably be until past our graduation.

_________________
-Joshua
The dumb Boatswain's Mate who once did debate
Proud Coastie, Puddle Pirate, and Shallow Water Sailor


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 pm 
Offline
Cupcake
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:08 pm
Posts: 1211
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Illinois
Can't sleep and browsing HSD.

This thread has been alive for a bit longer than it should have been.

_________________
Drew Chambers
LinkedIn


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited