I guess I'm a free-agent right now.
My name is John Mark Porter (shocker right
), and will be a 17 year old for the 2015 competetive debate season (I live in South Carolina), which will be my fourth year competing in the NCFCA. I traditionally was the 1N because I did most of the research and new what to run and 1A though I would enjoy being the 2N and 2A.
-I'm not an excellent speaker, but I have improved in leaps and bounds. I'm a mega researcher. I wrote dozens of briefs last year and single-handedly wrote a 70 page back-up to our case (and that was before involvement with HSD so I should be ultra-prepped). I'm enthusiastically into debate, which may or may not be a good thing. My speaking style has been more conversational.
- UN year we broke at 2 out of 4 tournaments (a qualifier and Regionals), placing 4th at a qualifier and 9th at Regionals (a couple ballots shy of nats). We posted 5-1 records in both breaking tournaments.
- Election Year we broke at 4 of 5 tournaments with 4-2 records each time, making it to triple octas at the National Open, 7th at Regionals, and 13th and 4th at two other qualifiers.
My Philosophy in Rounds: I believe in topical counter-plans. I enjoy writing counter-plans but don't run them that often. I believe that every Negative team should run Disadvantages.
My partner and I performed well but I think we would have done much better if we had had a stronger case (Unions was great, just obscure and judges didn't understand it). Also, our Negs got at time confused because I did more research and new the backstory of the case while my partner would take a different take and the two could get clogged. Therefore, I want a partner who I could communicate with fairly often and get on the same page with.
I'm also looking for a partner who:
- Could participate in 3 or so Qualifiers, Regionals, and Nationals if we got that far, with maybe a National Open
- Does a fair amount of research, enough to be adequately prepared against cases and know what they want to run (ie. doesn't just make arguments based off a brief handed to them 20 minutes before the round)
- Is a fairly good speaker.
- Generally enjoys debate
-Is contactable, and could talk with about once a week over a hangout or something like that
You can PM me if you are interested or my e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org