homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:09 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
 Post subject: Re: PSA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:21 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Really tempted to use this card now just to spite you, Joseph, especially since I know it will get back to you from your sister. ;)

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:52 am 
Guardian of the Black Room

Cyberknight wrote:
Guys, I'm pretty sure he's trolling, his last comment didn't even make sense. :)

I'm pretty sure he's not. HSU doesn't generally troll, and he does sound legitimately upset that people are defending unethical citation practices.

As an aside, this was a Public Service Announcement, not really something that should be the topic of much debate. The author of a paper specifically requested that people not misrepresent his paper by quoting it in support of a position it does not defend. While it may be a grey area in general to use quotations in this way, I think the author's clarification here places the use of this piece of evidence in the described manner soundly in the "unethical" area. Finding pieces of evidence isn't that hard--why tread grey areas unnecessarily?

--Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:53 pm 
Is now cool

The point has been made and the previous few posts lead me to believe that further discussion at this point is fruitless.

If you've read the PSA, please respond appropriately by checking the evidence for which you have traded, and keep the author's credentials and intent in mind when reading or editing your brief. This post was intended as a warning for individuals who may have been unaware that their traded evidence could get them called into JO -- if you want to debate about whether or not the evidence can still be used, or if it will indeed get you called into JO in your region, please discuss it with your coach or your regional rep.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2