homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:03 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:24 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Up to this point, there hasn't really been a caselist that everyone can access and everyone can edit. Because of this, there's been extremely little info on what people's cases are. I want that to end, so I've created a caselist that anyone can access.

The only rules are: DO NOT put incorrect information on this list, and DO NOT troll. Seriously guys, it ruins the caselist when you do that and can cost teams hours of useless research. It's also dishonest. Also, please don't delete any info already on the caselist. If you do, it will be a pain, because I'll have to search through the editing history to get it back (and believe me, I will). ;)

Right now, anyone with the link will be able to access this caselist. If people start trolling, I may have to change that. But for now it's public. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:32 pm 

While I respect this idea, I would like to point out that

1) There is a national case list in existence. It is required that you agree to the rules before joining (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nJs ... =drive_web). So it is not the same as Gabe's case list. :) But it's another option for those of you who wish to use it.

2) I would ask that you, Gabe (and anyone else using the case list in existence) not share any info you may have received from that case list. :) (Not that you've done that, or would, just asking people to be mindful is all!) Thanks.

Otherwise, like I said, this is a valid idea. :) I'm usually all for the free flow of information.

Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '12-'16

Retired.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:46 pm 

I would like to point out that the rules for Gabe's case list are not completely unlike the rules for Justin's case list. All that it requires is that you must post your case and any secondary case you may have and that you don't distribute the case-list to others who are unwilling to follow that rule.

The only difference between this case list and the case list that Justin set up is that this case list allows you to view what other teams are running without putting your own case up, which I consider to be wrong. If you are going to be closed, then be completely closed. Last year the same system was tried and failed as teams simply took advantage of it but did not contribute or even spammed (which wasn't un-banned then either, so I don't see how anything will greatly change).

I can say that for my own region, all the teams that are on the closed list have the accurate case listed. I don't intend to post cases That I know of on the open forum unless I see a general movement from all parties to do so.

Like Justin said, I don't like that it is this way and I prefer the open system, but I don't think the open system will work the way it was intended and I think the closed system is the only way to ensure that accurate information gets shared.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:10 am 

Quote:
I would like to point out that the rules for Gabe's case list are not completely unlike the rules for Justin's case list. All that it requires is that you must post your case and any secondary case you may have and that you don't distribute the case-list to others who are unwilling to follow that rule.

Yeah, that's the problem. If you want enough people to join and contribute to your list, a better option (in MY opinion) is not having a rule like this. However, we'll see which list does better...I could be wrong. :)

Quote:
Last year the same system was tried and failed as teams simply took advantage of it but did not contribute or even spammed (which wasn't un-banned then either, so I don't see how anything will greatly change).

R6 secretive people have pretty much all left. Remember that this sort of thing ONLY happened last year pretty much. As for spamming, I don't think that will be an issue as a particular person was spamming last time, and was told off. Furthermore, if that DID happen, I'd simply make the caselist partially closed.

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:45 pm 

Voice of Reason wrote:
If you are going to be closed, then be completely closed.

Yeah baby! It's the way to go!