homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:00 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:59 am 
Interesting idea that may appeal to those with a libertarian bent. Unilaterally abolish all tariff and non-tariff barriers for the countries in the resolution. Nearly every economist will back you up that it is to your benefit to liberalize trade regardless of what the other country does. Paul Krugman has a good introductory article on this. Also look up "GATT-Think" and neo-mercantilism.

Someone could even add on a mandate to withdraw from any trade agreements we have already made with those countries, if they wanted to make a big deal out of national sovereignty and the ceding of jurisdiction to international trade dispute settlement tribunals.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:02 am 
Tsarcastic

Home Schooled: Yes
Would be probably a good idea. Possible disads would be Chinese dumping and potential immediate shock = local market collapse.

~IM_R

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:32 am 
Concerns about potential immediate shock could be alleviated by phasing in tariff cuts over a period of time. In economic terms, Chinese dumping is really just a big coupon for American consumers paid for by Chinese taxpayers.

I'm thinking this case might be an uphill battle due to ingrained opinions, held even among most people generally in favor of trade, that trade has to be "fair" and that exports are good and imports are bad. But if somebody was really good at explaining and impacting the economics on it, it has the very simple/logical/straightforwardness that I like.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:21 pm 
Tsarcastic

If you're going to run a pro-free trade case, I would look at Cato and Heritage's breakdown of why trade is good. But be prepared, with concise cards, to explain some basic concepts very quickly like;

*The seen vs. the unseen
*Short term dislocations (ex. less manufacturing employees) vs long term benefit
*Why a more prosperous Asia is best for the US
*Why America's 100% dominance of manufacturing (1946-1980s) was totally unrealistic and ahistorical
*Expanding the PPF and why that's good
*Why we benefit from cheaper products

Because if you don't or your cards are long and not to the point, good ole 'Merican chest thumping and China bashing is going to win real quick.

~IM_R

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:47 pm 
Guardian of the Black Room

IrishMex Rebel wrote:
Because if you don't or your cards are long and not to the point, good ole 'Merican chest thumping and China bashing is going to win real quick.

I ran a unilateral free trade case once... IMR's warning here is completely on-point. Judge bias is huge on this one, and people are super sensitive to even possibly giving China an upper hand. There's a book from CATO, "Mad About Trade: Why Main Street America Should Embrace Globalization" by Daniel Griswold, that's a nice read on this topic. It's now a bit old ('09), but it provides a nice overview of arguments (and anecdotes) promoting free trade.

I'd be fine with sending my briefs to people about this case if they promise not to laugh at what younger me thought was strong evidence. :P

--Andrew

(I'm sure some new people are gasping, saying "WHAT? anorton did debate?")