homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 Next
 Post subject: Theory for dummies
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:34 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Okay I was just wanting a place were people could put every thing they new about theory. This isn't limited to just stuff like perametrics or cp's it is a awesome place with freedom of speech :P so tell me what you know :)

Post subject: Re: Theory for dummies
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:36 am 
Evil Democrat

Try me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:49 pm 

Ok :P lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:57 pm 

So who knows about peramemtricks?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:55 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
Ask your brother's partner. ;)

Here's a good read on CPs in general.
http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/jbrusc ... UNTERPLANS

And here's probably one of the most true statements regarding CPs/parametrics (though many will disagree).
rockin4thelord wrote:
A counter plan must be a reason to reject the affirmative teams case. A neg team doesn't need to worry about affirming/negating the resolution at all, because the neg teams job is not to negate the resolution, but to negate the affirmative teams case. That's why I'd say topicality is totally a moot point as far as CPs go.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:50 pm 

My bothers partner? My youngest older brother is 30 and I don't have a younger brother :) Did you mean ask Marshal?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:27 pm 

Home Schooled: No
randomboy96 wrote:
My bothers partner? My youngest older brother is 30 and I don't have a younger brother :) Did you mean ask Marshal?

Yes, ask Marshall.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:57 pm 

Well Marshal never explains it very well in real life. :) but yeah I do talk about theory with him a lot (the car ride back from the nat open) so far I have only discussed theory with Marshal for about 6 hours....so you could say I talked to him :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:42 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
randomboy96 wrote:

Wow writing fail.

Yes, I did.

Partner's brother's partner. There.

To more specifically address the question, I would actually read most of the debate bible link that I posted up there-- that's where I learned most of my theory, though it's probably a little outdated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:57 pm 

Sharkfin wrote:
randomboy96 wrote:

Wow writing fail.

Yes, I did.

Partner's brother's partner. There.

Yeah :P who are you in real life?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:33 pm 

How do you run
1. Effects topicality
2. 50 states counter plans
3. Parametrics
Just give 5 to 15 word summery of what each one is and how to run it.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:55 am 

randomboy96 wrote:
How do you run
Thanks

I think a short answer is...don't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:32 am 

randomboy96 wrote:
1. Effects topicality
Say that affecting enviro policy is not the same as enviro policy. Building a fence on the Mexican border affects the environment around there, but it's definitely not an enviro policy
Quote:
Run the AFF's plan, but instead of using the Federal Government, use the 50 state governments. There must be a reason the USFG shouldn't do it; rather, the states should do it themselves (i.e. federalism).
Quote:
3. Parametrics
5 to 15 words? Don't do it. I'll let someone who adheres to that religi^H^H^H^H^H^Htheory answer that. ;)

Parental Rights!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:58 pm 

Ok thanks. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:24 am 

At the Co open we hit a team who ran counter warrants are these legit? Perametrics says the opposite so thats what we ran against that arg.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:39 am 

That would really depend on the reason that they ran them. Was it just a "AFF is for resolution, and here's why resolution is bad" argument, ignoring your case?

Parental Rights!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:38 am 

No it was "aff doesn't reform every env policy so untopical"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:24 am 

I, personally, would argue this:

Let's say I make the argument that Health Care should be reformed. If I can prove to you that we should entirely deregulate health care, then that would be prove that we should, indeed, reform health care. If I proved to you that we should repeal Obamacare, then that would prove that we should, indeed, reform health care. I wouldn't have to prove both of those to prove that health care should be reformed; either one would suffice.

Let me use a Dr. Srader-esque example ;) : I say that we should eat at McDonald's. Now, in order to convince you of that, I would need to give you an example of what we could eat there. If I proved to you that it would be great to eat a Big-n-Tasty, then that would mean that we should, indeed, eat at McDonald's. If I proved to you that we should eat a Hot-n-spicy McChicken, then that would also prove that we should eat at McDonald's. I would not, however, have to prove that their salad is good. There's no reason for me to have to prove that.

In this debate round I have to prove that the USFG should reform its enviro policy. If I can prove that we should plant flowers by the highways (just as a random example... ;) ), then I would, indeed, have proven that we should reform our enviro policy. There is no reason why I would have to prove anything else.

Parental Rights!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:15 pm 

Yes but they would still say...the resolution says "resolved that the U.S. federal government should significantly reform it environmental policy" it doesn't say "a env pol" it says "its env pol" meaning env pol as a whole. that was the arg.....regardless of how we refute it they show how it still "stands ;) "

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:00 am 

randomboy96 wrote:
Yes but they would still say...the resolution says "resolved that the U.S. federal government should significantly reform it environmental policy" it doesn't say "a env pol" it says "its env pol" meaning env pol as a whole. that was the arg.....regardless of how we refute it they show how it still "stands ;) "

As Philip pointed out, if you prove reforming one policy is a good idea, you proven that reforming the overall policy is a good idea. You don't have to reform every single environmental policy to reform the policy as a whole.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 Next