homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:58 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4
 Post subject: Re: Theory for dummies
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:07 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
run_with_God wrote:
tehepicpwnzor wrote:
IMHO, topicality should never be run in a round. If the plan is blatantly non-topical, topicality should be your only argument.

Hmm, I had thought about that. Cuz then what's the point of arguigng it. I only run T on clearly non T cases.

Yeah usually it is good to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:56 pm 
Ok, maybe not the ONLY homeschooler.

run_with_God wrote:
tehepicpwnzor wrote:
IMHO, topicality should never be run in a round. If the plan is blatantly non-topical, topicality should be your only argument.

Hmm, I had thought about that. Cuz then what's the point of arguing it?

Well, if your impact is fiat power and you don't mention "fairness", you run other arguments for the sake of the debate ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:24 pm 

What theory arguments have you run this year and against what cases did you run them?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:31 pm 

^Two days ago, my partner and I ran a Topicality-press, a Kritik, and a Vagueness-press against a case to build up domestic U.S. cybersecurity by contracting U.S. "protection" out to private U.S. companies. 90% of my 1N was spent on T, so I had to go over the K in less than 30 seconds :| I'm pretty sure, therefore, that the K was a non-issue.

However, we did win on T. The judge didn't mention vagueness in the RFD, so IDK what she thought of it.

We also ran three solvency points, a Masking DA, and an Individual Human Rights DA.

It was fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:42 pm 

haha cool. So what was the K? I can't think of a K that would apply to that case...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm 

^Hypocrisy. The U.S. is whining about Russian and Chinese cyber attacks, when in reality we have probably the largest cyber attack capabilities in the world. And we use them. The first impact is that this hypocrisy ticks off other people and engenders cynicism. The second impact is that our own cyber capabilities actually fuel the cyber arms race. Ironic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:09 pm 

thehomeschooler wrote:
^Hypocrisy. The U.S. is whining about Russian and Chinese cyber attacks, when in reality we have probably the largest cyber attack capabilities in the world. And we use them. The first impact is that this hypocrisy ticks off other people and engenders cynicism. The second impact is that our own cyber capabilities actually fuel the cyber arms race. Ironic.

That is actually a really good argument. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 am 
Epicness at its awesomest

thehomeschooler wrote:

Ummmm, wha??? How does building up defense and protection equate to whining about other cyber-attacks?? :|

- Five year alumni turned debate coach.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 am 

Jacob Dean wrote:
thehomeschooler wrote:

Ummmm, wha??? How does building up defense and protection equate to whining about other cyber-attacks?? :|

Because the nerds could just as easily use their knowledge to attack as to defend. Plus Russia and China are just almost always skeptical.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:40 pm 

Jacob Dean wrote:
thehomeschooler wrote:

It's not the plan itself -- it's aff's rhetoric in the 1AC: "OH NOEZ!!! RUSSIA ATTACKS WITH ZEH CYBERZ!!!!"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:30 pm 
Epicness at its awesomest

thehomeschooler wrote:
Jacob Dean wrote:
thehomeschooler wrote:

It's not the plan itself -- it's aff's rhetoric in the 1AC: "OH NOEZ!!! RUSSIA ATTACKS WITH ZEH CYBERZ!!!!"

Saying "hey guys, Russia is attacking people and our defense against them seriously sucks, so we need to fix it" does not equal whining. America has never declared cyberwar on anybody, ability too or not. It's just dumb to go "heyyyyy...people are using this stuffs now, and SOME DAY we'll be in a war...it might be a good idea to fix this huge, gaping whole we have."

- Five year alumni turned debate coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:51 pm 

Jacob Dean wrote:
Saying "hey guys, Russia is attacking people and our defense against them seriously sucks, so we need to fix it" does not equal whining.

That depends. It's still a red light to Russia and China when the U.S. is actually the country with the biggest cyber-attack capabilities. Just sayin'.
Jacob Dean wrote:
America has never declared cyberwar on anybody, ability too or not.

Uh, we've used our capabilities before, according to the experts.
Jacob Dean wrote:
It's just dumb to go "heyyyyy...people are using this stuffs now, and SOME DAY we'll be in a war...it might be a good idea to fix this huge, gaping whole we have."

Not if doing so fails and at the same time fuels the cyber arms race.

Aaaaaanyways, solvency DAs and T are much better for beating this case. I just wanted to mention the K.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:34 am 

Location: Either "I can see Russia from my house" or "::stealing Jacob Dean's location::"
randomboy96 wrote:
What theory arguments have you run this year and against what cases did you run them?
So far I've (well, mainly my partner has) run Plan Advocacy (lotso times), Vagueness (lotso times), and T (same as before, times several bazillion). Actually, I've debated more rounds with theory in them than without.

Say wha...? Must I answer?

"The nine most feared words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.'" (Ronald Reagan)

Quote:
Insert random statement useful for nothing but narcissism

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:45 am 

Joshtinian wrote:
randomboy96 wrote:
So far I've (well, mainly my partner has) run Plan Advocacy (lotso times), Vagueness (lotso times), and T (same as before, times several bazillion). Actually, I've debated more rounds with theory in them than without.

What T presses have you ran?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:28 pm 

Last year we ran "Resolved," "Toward," "Environmental Policy," and "its." In one round. Twice. And won them both times.

I loved that round.

This year we've run "Toward," and "Toward," (yeah, different ways).

We've run those three times already.

Delta_FC

Dawn wrote:
Josh R

Yes?
+X wrote:
Hm. Eminem/MNM would mean Delta F_C... oF course

Join the epidemic
Variola Eradication, Geneva, May 2011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:43 am 

Location: Either "I can see Russia from my house" or "::stealing Jacob Dean's location::"
India Year: Toward (Squirrel case dealing with Coke bottling factories), Reform (Food Aid), and India(H1B and Christian Persecution)*. *AFF case: pressure India to stop Christian persecution; we were NEG, and said that the AFF is changing their policy toward different religions, not toward India; RFD = Topicality :D .

Environmental Year: Environmental Policy (Everything from Nuclear Fusion to Federalism), Significantly (Snake River Salmon), Vs. CPs (BTW, 3-0 here ;) ). Want 1 AFF round back: NEG argued T on reform (we were running CAFE). It turns out their definition was for "re-form," not "reform." I found out 2 months ago. :cry:

This year: See Josh's post above.

Say wha...? Must I answer?

"The nine most feared words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.'" (Ronald Reagan)

Quote:
Insert random statement useful for nothing but narcissism

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:45 pm 

Environmental year was when I really learned to love T. At the NC qualifier:

Neg Round #1: Switchgrass Ethanol: T (environmental policy), Inh, Sig, Sol, DAs. Won all of them.
Neg Round #2: "Encourage" Nuclear Power: T (environmental policy), Sig, Sol, DAs. Won all of them.
Neg Round #3: Plastic Railroad Ties: We had no evidence, but questioned T (environmental policy), Sig, Sol, and brought up possible DAs. Won all of them.

And we ended up losing two affs. So this saved us.

Outround #1: Repeal the ANPR (CO2 Dereg): T ("reform" and "policy"), Inh-press, Sig, and DAs. We ended up dropping T in the last speech (because we were starting to think that it didn't apply -- but later I realized it did), but we won on Inh.

Outround #2: Repeal Cap-and-Trade: T ("reform" and "policy"), Inh-press, Sig, and DAs. We lost two ballots out of three :(

^That last round^ was against Daniel Thomas (Amodeum). That's why I'm partnering with him this year (jk) :P

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4