homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:49 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Practicing 1NC's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:31 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Last year I was the 2N for most of the year but this year I am switching to 1N. Does anyone have tips on giving good 1NC's. Also, how do you practice them outside of debates? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

O'Donnell/Paul |R8 | SOAR | 2008-2009
Lancaster/Paul + Paul/Reeves | R8 | PSDC | 2009-2010
Paul/Sailer | R9 | LTA | 2010-2011
Logue/Paul | R9 | SpeakOut | 2011-2012
Logue/Paul | R9 | SpeakOut | 2012-2013

Last edited by JoannaP_96 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Practicing 1NC's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:00 pm 

What strategy do you guys use as neg?
For example, shell and extend, split (if so how), etc?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:20 pm 

Right now we don't have a specific style that we use every round. Typically we do split with T, INH, and SIG in the 1NC and SOLV and DA's in the 2NC but we are trying to switch to Shell + Extend.

O'Donnell/Paul |R8 | SOAR | 2008-2009
Lancaster/Paul + Paul/Reeves | R8 | PSDC | 2009-2010
Paul/Sailer | R9 | LTA | 2010-2011
Logue/Paul | R9 | SpeakOut | 2011-2012
Logue/Paul | R9 | SpeakOut | 2012-2013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 pm 
Ok, maybe not the ONLY homeschooler.

LocutusofBorg wrote:
Last year I was the 2N for most of the year but this year I am switching to 2N 1N.

Typo there.
JoannaP_96 wrote:
Right now we don't have a specific style that we use every round. Typically we do split with T, INH, and SIG in the 1NC and SOLV and DA's in the 2NC but we are trying to switch to Shell + Extend.

Splitting the neg actually works pretty well against R9 teams. At least that's what Daniel and I figured out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm 

Yeah, I would personally suggest splitting the neg. My partner and I had a lot more success with that than any other strategy.

As to how to practice...other than practice rounds I really can't tell you. If you are splitting the neg, find a caselist somewhere and give 2NCs against it. Make up a situation and give a 2NR. Other than that and speed drills, word econ drills, etc, etc, I really don't know what to tell you.

EDIT:
Ooooooh. 1Ns. My bad.

In that case, run T shells over and over. Understand Ks and Inherency positions. Know how to run specs well (not just "They're vague, everybody freak out!"). And, of course, still do speed drills and all that stuff.

Last edited by LocutusofBorg on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:39 pm 

As 1N, you get to deal with fun stuff like T, Ks, and CPs. ;) Make sure you know your theory. Why is T a priori? If you guys ever run Ks, read it over before you get into the round. (Actually, you should do that with any evidence. :P) If you don't understand the K, don't run it.

/randomness

COG Author | NCFCA Alumna | Wife and Mother

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:57 pm 
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.

thehomeschooler wrote:
LocutusofBorg wrote:
Last year I was the 2N for most of the year but this year I am switching to 2N 1N.

Typo there.
JoannaP_96 wrote:

Splitting the neg actually works pretty well against R9 teams. At least that's what Daniel and I figured out.

It totally depends on the case you face. [I rhymed hohoho]

Human Rights Cases, Cybersecurity, IPR are all cases that you probably want to shell, whereas, cases like FLEX, JV, VMP, etc are all cases that are easier to split.

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:05 pm 

I'll balance things out here and recommend shell & extend. As a 1N, I think it makes the 1NC easier by not requiring you to develop the arguments that much. Since you're just shelling them (for the moment), you can save valuable prep time that you would ordinarily spend thinking through the arguments. You definitely need to understand what you're running, but it requires a whole different level of understanding to be able to shell and extend an argument in one speech.

One good way to practice is to just pick a case at random out of a caselist or sourcebook and with no prep, start planning out arguments against it. Just brainstorm ideas and write out a 1NC outline. That will help you develop your refutation skills and will make the job a lot easier in actual debate rounds since you (hopefully) have a brief to give you a starting point. They key with giving the 1NC is quick thinking and organization- you need to plan and organize your arguments fast, sifting out the weaker arguments and making sure to avoid contradictions. That's why I like shell & extend. I can focus on deciding with my partner what arguments to run, grab the shells, and walk to the podium. Very smooth. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:19 pm 

^However, if you already have a strat planned out, you're going to put much more pressure on any aff team by splitting the neg. At least in R9.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:37 pm 

thehomeschooler wrote:
^However, if you already have a strat planned out, you're going to put much more pressure on any aff team by splitting the neg. At least in R9.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. Emily and I have mostly split the neg this year, and it's worked out pretty well. Usually, I'll give a general negative philosophy up front and let the judge know which parts I'll cover and which parts Emily will cover. Sometimes Emily will extend something I run (ie, turning a solvency point into a masking DA), but usually it's split.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:43 pm 

Shell and extend for. the. winzzz.

I love being 1NC. So. much. I usually kinda of do a shell and extend, where I just cover everything and briefly touch on the DAs (read some of the evidence, give the impacts). My partner will extend them/respond, etc.

The best way to practice 1NCs is just to go find a brief, set a timer, and practice your speech. It has really helped me a lot this year to quickly have to gather all my arguments and present them clearly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:47 pm 

^I'm telling you, if you run S&E on us, we'll be so thankful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:53 pm 

thehomeschooler wrote:

I don't know about R9- it may work better there. But I think it's still generally better to shell & extend. :) One aspect of the question I hadn't thought about until recently is the fact that the aff is normally expected to present their entire case in 1AC. Years ago, affs would usually present their Inherency/Harms in the 1AC and the Plan/Solvency/Advantages in the 2AC. Now everyone does it all in the first speech to maximize the depth you get in a round. The rationale behind S & E is the same- get all the arguments out soon so we can move on to the refutation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:57 pm 

jesusfreak93 wrote:
rationale behind S & E is the same- get all the arguments out soon so we can move on to the refutation.

Therefore, the rationale of splitting the neg in R9 (where most people go with S&E and put the "weaker speaker" as the 1AC) is to throw the aff off. Daniel and I have gained huge advantages from splitting the neg.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:19 pm 

JoannaP_96 wrote:
Last year I was the 2N for most of the year but this year I am switching to 1N. Does anyone have tips on giving good 1NC's. Also, how do you practice them outside of debates? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We don't have a ton of debate teams where I come from, so I encountered the same problem last year in TP. This is how I practiced.

I would have my Mom/Sister/Dad/Best friend read me a case from a sourcebook and I would flow and perform the first Cross-x. I would then take 1:30-2:00 of prep time to sift through a brief and develop the 1NC. I would then give the constructive in the same time constraints.

This is essentially going through the motions of the first part of the debate round. It helps you think up arguments and find effective organization without having a full fledged debate round. For an additional challenge, limit how much evidence you can use in the speech to simulate running against squirrel cases. I used to limit my self to just 2 pieces, which helped my logical thinking processes. If you are desperate and cannot find someone to help you, have your computer read the case to you. :D Try doing it once a day.

I have used this drill a lot for my first year of TP. The cool thing is it also works well for LD. You can do Aff and Neg drills in that case!

Hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:13 pm 

GA was my first tourney being the 1N so i can't give any good strategy tips, but for the teams going aff: please do shell and extend. Cuz at GA i hit one or two teams who, in their 2NC, didn't extend any of the 1N's args but brought up entirely new arguments for all 8 min, and then the 1N in his next speech gave his args again. Most of the args weren't all that good, but I had about 19 args to respond to in my 1AR and my flowpad was full of writing and sticky notes with random writing...so please do shell and extend not split the neg.

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 pm 

^That's why Daniel and I split the neg. Mwahahahahah :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 pm 
Cupcake

thehomeschooler wrote:
^That's why Daniel and I split the neg. Mwahahahahah :twisted:

She's talking about spreading. Splitting facilitates spreading, but doesn't necessitate it. We had teams that split and just crammed as many one-line arguments into their speeches as they could, but we split nearly every time at GA, but sill only ran a relatively small amount of arguments.

And I can generally preempt every argument in my 2AC even if the other team splits anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm 

Drew wrote:
She's talking about spreading.

Which...is what we do when we split the neg. Whether with arguments, evidence, or analysis.
Drew wrote:
And I can generally preempt every argument in my 2AC even if the other team splits anyways.

How? I seriously doubt it. Especially since I have a 1NR.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 pm 

I don't think this was meant to turn into a Shell and Extend vs. Splitting the Neg debate...

I've been both the 2N and the 1N. The 1N rocks.

Stuff that helped me the most with the 1N:

Fast critical thinking skills. (This just comes with time, something that helped me was when I did a practice tournament with a novice and I told myself I was going to give standup 1NCs all tournament( to allow more in round coaching), they went surprisingly well.
Make sure you're well read up on current events, particularly the resolution.
Topicality drills: You want to be good at running topicality, I advocate running it as often as you can. Yeah, it's boring, but being able to run it quickly and effectively really comes in handy. (and will win you an insane amount of rounds)
Refutation: most of the time when you think of the 1N you think of the 1NC, but refutation in the 1NR is IMO the more important part of being the 1N.

I also pre-wrote a couple of 1NCs last year. I think I had around 5 total. (Ethanol, E-Waste, ANWR, Chemical Reform, and Carbon Deregulation) I took the cases that were either popular or the teams that I knew would be close rounds. I didn't have the fluff and rhetoric pre-written, but I practiced giving them to practice that.
I also practiced giving generic points. Generics are the 1NC's friend. (They also sound good if you've been using them all year long.)

Hope that helps some...

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next