homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Generic DA's
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:15 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Hey there,

I'm getting into the whole generic thing. It really comes in useful for those squirrelly chipmunk cases.

Specifically I like Generic DA's. I have a few tucked under my sleeve: one I won't mention, relations hurt w/ impacts, and... and... Well I need something to fill in that spot frankly.

So, tell me all the generic DA's you know! But, there's more. I need help understanding Ethos' sovereignty and political capital stuff.

Sovereignty-

Is it basically that we shouldn't meddle in other country's affairs because that's wrong? For example, we shouldn't send Foreign Aid because that's butting in on another country's problems? If not, what is it? It would be nice if you could not only explain but also give some examples of cases this DA could be used on.

Political Capital-

I think I understand this DA. Basically passing some kind of policy requires political capital and it can run out. But I heard somewhere this is a ridiculous DA. Is that so? If so, then why? It sounds legit to me.

Others-

Insert new generic DA's here :)

EDIT: Also would be nice to get an explanation about Globalization. (In other words what kinds of cases it applies to).

Post subject: Re: Generic DA's
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:21 am 

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Zealous1 wrote:
Basically passing some kind of policy requires political capital and it can run out. But I heard somewhere this is a ridiculous DA. Is that so? If so, then why? It sounds legit to me.

I heard somewhere that the person you heard that from is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:33 am 

FRANK wrote:
Zealous1 wrote:
Basically passing some kind of policy requires political capital and it can run out. But I heard somewhere this is a ridiculous DA. Is that so? If so, then why? It sounds legit to me.

*phew*

Care to explain why he might have thought so, and how it all works? Also any evidence about political capital?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:54 am 

Zealous1 wrote:
FRANK wrote:
Zealous1 wrote:

*phew*

Care to explain why he might have thought so, and how it all works? Also any evidence about political capital?

He thought so because he has no idea what he's talking about. Basically it takes political capital to "lean on people" and get stuff passed. Once Obama spends that capital he can't get it back, meaning he won't be able to pass X popular policy. X policy needs to be passed because, if not, Y number of people will die.

Another good generic DA would be heg. If the US gains influence in the region, China freaks out, starts killing people, moves into Taiwan, whatever.

Also look into soft power DAs.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:40 pm 

Masked Midnight wrote:
Politics DA. It basically says that by passing the AFF's insignificant Plan, Congress would be ignoring the more important issues. It's not the same as Masking though...

The Tics DA I run in parli is straight-up government shut down.
The most common one in NFA-LD right now is KORUS, the Korean Free Trade Agreement. There's card out there that say if it doesn't pass by X date the US economy will collapse.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:45 am 

The key to running generics DAs successfully is selling the story. Calling them generic DAs is the wrong mindset from which to start. Think of them as starting points to tackling cases, not as one-size-fits-all disadvantages.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 am 
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.

Inconsistency/Relations. It can be linked to any case repealing or significantly reforming something that the U.S. and Russia have been mutually loving. Like New START? Maybe?

;)

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:03 am 

Masking DA's aren't really generic, but I think they are good.

I recently saw one beautifully executed against a cut aid case.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:35 pm 

curlyhairedmenace wrote:

1. Care to explain what a masking DA is? I'm novice :D

2. Tell me, tell me. I need that against some people in my club.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:11 pm 

Relations DA = <3
Alienation DA = <3 <3

I <3 mah alienation DA. It applies to most cases that don't have any other DA's against them. Relations is fun because you can use so many different impacts... usually, you can set up at least one case turn with a relations DA.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:15 pm 

Zealous1 wrote:
curlyhairedmenace wrote:

1. Care to explain what a masking DA is? I'm novice :D

2. Tell me, tell me. I need that against some people in my club.

My understanding is that a Masking DA argues that the plan will only mask the real problem. (If a more experienced debater wants to chime in and correct me, that's welcome.) For example:

You know all those "cut foreign aid and send the money to the debt held in Russia" cases? Yeah.
First, lets look at some math. $156B divided by $55.6M = 2805. If you passed the AFF plan, it would take 2805 years to pay off the debt in Russia. Clearly, the AFF plan isn't really doing much.

With this in mind, bring this up:

1. The newly elected republican congress is planning on dealing with the deficit. In fact, they are about to cut several billion dollars from the budget. (I often nickname this "congress's session To-Do list."
2. Plantext attempts to deal with the deficit.
3. Therefore, with the passing of an AFF ballot, congress will cross "deal with the deficit" off of their To-Do list. Congress will think they've dealt with the debt, when in reality, they haven't even scratched the surface of the problem. The AFF plan will just mask the problem.

So, for Fiscal Responsibility (The typical AFF criteria), vote NEG. Let the newly elected congress do their job.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 am 
Doesn't have a title.

I hit an interesting generic DA.

Uniqueness: DoD's proposed F22 purchase is opposed due to budget constraints.
Link: Plan saves money.
Internal link: Money is redirected to the F22 purchase because we're in the middle of a fiscal year and people want to save the F22 purchase using redirected funds.
Internal link: Japan will bid on an F22.
Impact: arms race
i. "Other nations" in Asia will pursue weapon programs when they feel threatened by Japan.
ii. The ensuing arms race will "kill peace talks" in Asia.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:00 am 

Whether we have the budget to purchase more planes doesn't affect Japan, does it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:21 am 
Doesn't have a title.

It only affects Japan if a bunch of statements are true:

A DoD budget increase will go to F-22 purchases.
The plan saves enough money to get people to buy more F-22s.
Enough F-22s will be purchased that there will be some available to auction off to Japan.
Japan will bid higher than everyone else.
And many others.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:11 am 

Halogen wrote:
It only affects Japan if a bunch of statements are true:

A DoD budget increase will go to F-22 purchases.
The plan saves enough money to get people to buy more F-22s.
Enough F-22s will be purchased that there will be some available to auction off to Japan.
And many others.

Mwuahaha.

Did you lose either of those rounds?

Delta_FC

Dawn wrote:
Josh R

Yes?
+X wrote:
Hm. Eminem/MNM would mean Delta F_C... oF course

Join the epidemic
Variola Eradication, Geneva, May 2011

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 am 

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Halogen wrote:

I think it's highly unlikely Japan will have a ton of extra cash sitting around after the weekend's events.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:24 am 
Doesn't have a title.

Delta_FC wrote:
Did you lose either of those rounds?
Nope. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:11 am 
THE Cookie Monster!

FRANK wrote:
Halogen wrote:

I think it's highly unlikely Japan will have a ton of extra cash sitting around after the weekend's events.
Ahah. That's the response I used on Friday. I haven't seen the ballot, but we won the round, so apparently you and I aren't the only ones who think so...

Am I the only one who thinks relations DAs are lame? Specifically with Russia... They can be legit with nations that are actually consistent or care about much of anything besides themselves. But I'm so tired of having dumb relations DAs run against me this year.

Bakke/Bakke | TP <3 | 10-11
Bakke/Van Ness | TP <3 | 11-13
Sad Brenna | LD ew | 13-14
PHC Student | wow such college deb8 | 14&beyond

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:56 am 

Halogen wrote:
Uniqueness: DoD's proposed F22 purchase is opposed due to budget constraints.
Link: Plan saves money.
Internal link: Money is redirected to the F22 purchase because we're in the middle of a fiscal year and people want to save the F22 purchase using redirected funds.
Internal link: Japan will bid on an F22.
Impact: arms race
i. "Other nations" in Asia will pursue weapon programs when they feel threatened by Japan.
ii. The ensuing arms race will "kill peace talks" in Asia.

So someone is actually using this? I found one in some backfiles a few months ago, thought the concept of a "reverse spending DA" was cool, downloaded it, and forgot about it. Maybe I oughta try it sometime just for fun. :P

revgirl wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks relations DAs are lame? Specifically with Russia... They can be legit with nations that are actually consistent or care about much of anything besides themselves. But I'm so tired of having dumb relations DAs run against me this year.
Link: No relations = no cooperation.

Impact: No cooperation = nuclear proliferation, nuclear terrorism, & nuclear war

The Commission on US Policy Toward Russia (Hon. Chuck Hagel, Hon. Gary Hart, Dimitri K. Simes, Paul J. Saunders, Rexon Ryu, Hon. Graham Allison, Hon. Robert Blackwill, Gen. Charles G. Boyd, Hon. Richard Burt, Sarah Carey, Hon. James Collins, Susan Eisenhower, Hon. Robert F. Ellsworth, Thomas Graham, Maurice R. Greenberg, Hon. Lee Hamilton, Hon. Carla Hills, Hon. Jack Matlock, Hon. Robert C. McFarlane, Mark Medish, Hon. Sam Nunn, Hon. Peter G. Peterson, Hon. Thomas Pickering, Lt. Gen. Brent Scowcroft, Hon. J. Robinson West, Hon. Dov S. Zakheim), “The Right Direction for US Policy Toward Russia”, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at the Harvard Kennedy School, March 2009, http://www.nixoncenter.org/RussiaReport09.pdf
[Complete credentials (courtesy of Preston Black)]
Professor Charles T. Hagel [Distinguished Professor of National Governance at Georgetown University; Co-Chairman of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board; Member of the Secretary of Defense's Policy Board], Dr. Gary Hart [Ph.D. in Politics from the University of Oxford; J.D. from Yale University Law School; former Co-Chair of the U.S. Commission on National Security; Member of the Council on Foreign Relations; Advisory Board Member of the Partnership for a Secure America; former Member of the National Commission on Terrorism], Professor Dimitri K. Simes [President of the Nixon Center, a Washington D.C.-based Think Tank; former Research Professor of Soviet Studies at the School of Advanced International Studies at John Hopkins University; Expert on U.S.-Russia Relations and U.S. Foreign Policy; M.A. in History from Moscow State University; former Chairman of the Center for Russian and Eurasian Programs at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace; former foreign Policy Analyst for the Administration of Richard Nixon; former Senior Research Fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies], Paul J. Saunders [Executive Director of the Nixon Center, a Washington D.C.-based Think Tank; Director of the U.S.-Russia Relations Program of the Nixon Center; Expert on Russia and U.S. Foreign Policy; M.A. in Political Science; former Senior Advisor to the Under-Secretary of State for Global Affairs of the Bush Administration; former Senior Policy Advisor to the Speaker's Advisory Group on Russia], Rexon Y. Ryu [former Nonproliferation Analyst for the U.S. Department of State; Director of the National Security Council of the Nonproliferation Directorate], Dr. Graham T. Allison [Ph.D. in Political Science from Harvard University; Professor of Government and Director of the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government; former Assistant Secretary of Defense for Policy and Plans], Robert D. Blackwill [Fellow for U.S. foreign Policy at the Council on Foreign Relations; Member of the Executive Committee of the International Institute for Strategic Studies; former Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Planning; former Coordinator of Strategic Planning for the National Security Council; former Belfer Lecturer in International Security at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University], Charles G. Boyd [former Vice Commander of Strategic Air Command of the 8th Air Force; former Director of Plans at the U.S. Air Force Headquarters; former Deputy Commander-in-Chief of U.S. European Command; former Senior Vice-President and Washington Program Director at the Council on Foreign Relations; former Executive Director of the U.S. Commission on National Security; former Strategy Consultant and Speaker of the House], Richard R. Burt [Chief Negotiator of the U.S.-Russian Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty; former Assistant Director of the International Institute of Strategic Studies; Senior Advisor at the Center for Strategic and International Studies; M.A. in International Relations from Tufts University], Sarah C. Carey [one of the first and most prominent Washington lawyers to help open the former Soviet Union to foreign investment by providing legal counsel for U.S. and multinational companies that wished to do business there; Senior Partner at the Law Firm of Squire, Sanders & Dempsey], James Collins [Director of the Russia and Eurasia Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace; Diplomat in Resident at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace; former U.S. Ambassador to the Russian Federation; Expert on the Soviet Union and its Successor States, Russia and Eurasia, U.S. Foreign Policy, U.S. Relations with Russia, and Arms Control and Nonproliferation], Susan Eisenhower [Chairman of Leadership and Public Policy Programs at the Eisenhower Institute; Chairman Emeritus at the Eisenhower Institute; former Appointee of the Committee on International Security and Arms Control of the National Academy of Sciences; Expert on International Security and U.S.-Russia Relations], Robert F. Ellsworth [Vice President of the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London; J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School; former Deputy Secretary of Defense; former Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs], Thomas Graham [Senior U.S. Diplomat for Strategic Arms Limitations Talks, Strategic Arms Reduction Talks, the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, the Intermediate Nuclear Force Treaty, the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, the Conventional Armed Forces in Europe Treaty, and the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty; former Special Representative of the President for Arms Control, Nonproliferation, and Disarmament; former General Counsel to the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency; former Chair of the Committee on Arms Control and Disarmament of the American Bar Association], Maurice Greenberg [Honorary Vice-Chairman and Director of the Council on Foreign Relations], Lee Hamilton [the President's Homeland Security Advisory Council; President and Director of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars; J.D. from Indiana University School of Law; former Chair of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs; former State Representative of Indiana; former Member of the CIA Advisory Board; former Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair of the Partnership for a Secure America], Carla Hills [Trustee of the Forum for International Policy; Co-Chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations; Advisory Board Member of the Partnership for a Secure America; Counselor at the Center for Strategic and International Studies], Jack Matlock [Specialist in Soviet Affairs; former Director of Soviet Affairs at the U.S. Department of State; former Deputy Director of the Foreign Service Institute; former Special Assistant to the President on National Security Affairs; former Senior Director of European and Soviet Affairs at the National Security Council; former Ambassador to the Soviet Union for the Reagan Administration; former Professor of International Diplomacy at Columbia University], Robert C. McFarlane [former National Security Advisor to President Ronald Reagan; Member of the Advisory Board of the Partnership for a Secure America; Member of the Committee on Present Danger; former Staff Member of the Senate Armed Service Committee; former Counselor to the U.S. Department of State], Mark Medish [Visiting Scholar at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace; Member of the Council on Foreign Relations; Board Member of the Institute for the Study of Diplomacy; J.D. from Harvard University; former Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director of the U.S. National Security Council for Russian, Ukrainian, and Eurasian Affairs; former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs], Professor Sam Nunn [Co-Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Nuclear Threat Initiative; J.D. from the Emory University School of Law; Distinguished Professor at the Sam Nunn School of International Affairs at Georgia Tech; Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Center for Strategic and International Studies; Advisory Board Member of the Partnership for a Secure America; Member of the Supervisory Council of the International Luxembourg Forum on Preventing Nuclear Catastrophe], Peter G. Peterson [former Chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations], Thomas Pickering [former Under-secretary of State for Political Affairs; former Special Assistant to the Secretaries of State William Rogers and Henry Kissinger; Chairman of the American Academy of Diplomacy; Member of the Council on Foreign Relations], Dr. Brent Scowcroft [Ph.D. in International Relations from Columbia University; former National Security Advisor for the Administrations of Gerald Ford and George H. W. Bush; former Chairman of the Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board], J. Robinson West [J.D. from Temple University] & Dr. Dov S. Zakheim [Ph.D. in Economics and Politics from Oxford University; former Foreign Policy Advisor to President George W. Bush; Member of the Council on Foreign Relations; Member of the International Institute for Strategic Studies; Senior Associate at the Center for Strategic and International Studies]

“The detonation of even a single nuclear warhead in the United States would have catastrophic consequences for America and its future. Likewise, the use of only one nuclear weapon anywhere else would also profoundly affect the United States through its considerable global political and economic consequences. Without deep Russian cooperation, no strategy is likely to succeed in preventing the proliferation of nuclear weapons, nuclear terrorism, and nuclear war. On the contrary, the future of the global nuclear order will be determined in large measure by whether leaders in Washington and Moscow will jointly recognize this overriding threat and develop a common strategy. Having created the weapons and owning 95 percent of all nuclear warheads, the United States and Russia have a special obligation to lead.”

Leslie Nelson would have a field day with this resolution... :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:23 am 
T-Rothasaurus

jesusfreak93 wrote:
Link: No relations = no cooperation.

That's not entirely true. SALT I and II were both signed when we were almost at war with the USSR. ;) And there is still no brink on a reduction in relations leading to zero cooperation.

revgirl wrote:
I don't like "relations" DAs, or "relations" Advantages, because "relations" is so fluid. I normally only run them against cases that try to justify themselves by increasing "relations" with Russia (Like BMD) or cases that rely exclusively on "relations" Advantages. (unfortunately I haven't found one for JVA :'().

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next