homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:31 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:02 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
What do you think? Is cutting or eliminating subsidies a good funding source? Which subsidies and why or why not?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 pm 

There's a funding thread here:

http://www.homeschooldebate.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11036

Delta_FC

Dawn wrote:
Josh R

Yes?
+X wrote:
Hm. Eminem/MNM would mean Delta F_C... oF course

Join the epidemic
Variola Eradication, Geneva, May 2011

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:26 am 

Josh, this is the same poster for both threads. I think she may have a specific need or purpose that the past thread didn't cover specifically enough. It's like saying, "We already have a thread on stock issues" when she's asking about Inherency.

As for subsidies, only if you are running into spending DA's and losing to them or hitting annoying/pointless O-specs on T and losing to them (or you feel uncomfortable about how much your plan spends) would I recommend you use an outside source for funding. "normal means" is, well, pretty normal.

edelblutmusic <my music you listen to with your ears

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:11 am 

Yes, I am the same poster twice, but I guess I posted that a while ago and had forgotten about it ;) Anyway, my questions with the other funding post are not quite the same. I am specifically wondering what people think of cutting farm subsidies...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:21 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
1. Please explain how a farm subsidy is a policy towards Russia.
2. There are cards linking farm subsidies to food security, which could be bad.
3. But if I had to pick a non-topical funding source, I would definitely choose farm subsidies. There are a ton of cards saying they're bad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:40 am 

Sharkfin wrote:
1. Please explain how a farm subsidy is a policy towards Russia.
2. There are cards linking farm subsidies to food security, which could be bad.
3. But if I had to pick a non-topical funding source, I would definitely choose farm subsidies. There are a ton of cards saying they're bad.

Just make sure you can defend it ;)

Last year, two teams made nats with abolish farm subs, so a ton of people (like me) have farm subsidies pro briefs floating around.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:25 am 
Analyst/Therapist

Hahaha, The Bible was right about there being nothing new under the sun...I took a "eliminate ag subsidies" case to NCFCA nationals 9 years ago.

As for using it as a funding source...I would look for a way else to do it, for the simple reason that it opens a huge can of worms that you have no way to defend against. Think about it: if the Neg wants to, they can run DAs against that plank of your plan all day long. You, however, aren't able to claim advantages springing from an extra-topical mandate of your plan. Thus by using that as a funding source you're opening yourself to an angle of attack that you have no real defense against, while simultaneously being unable to capitalize on any advantage that it would give you. For that reason alone I'd avoid it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:06 pm 

Mr. November wrote:
As for using it as a funding source...I would look for a way else to do it, for the simple reason that it opens a huge can of worms that you have no way to defend against. Think about it: if the Neg wants to, they can run DAs against that plank of your plan all day long. You, however, aren't able to claim advantages springing from an extra-topical mandate of your plan. Thus by using that as a funding source you're opening yourself to an angle of attack that you have no real defense against, while simultaneously being unable to capitalize on any advantage that it would give you. For that reason alone I'd avoid it.

I completely understand and agree with what you are saying...But then, what is a perfect funding source without any added DAs?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:32 pm 
Evil Democrat

Kristydebate wrote:
Mr. November wrote:

I completely understand and agree with what you are saying...But then, what is a perfect funding source without any added DAs?

It's called the general federal revenue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 pm 

And there's a discussion about that here

Delta_FC

Dawn wrote:
Josh R

Yes?
+X wrote:
Hm. Eminem/MNM would mean Delta F_C... oF course

Join the epidemic
Variola Eradication, Geneva, May 2011

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:47 pm 

Kristydebate wrote:
Mr. November wrote:

I personally like useless government spending. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:41 pm 
Laugh, or I will kill you

Hyper Static Union wrote:
Kristydebate wrote:
Mr. November wrote:

It's called the general federal revenue.
That's the mindset that got us a trillion dollars in debt. I HATE spending. It's time to STOP spending... not increase it.

@Kristy: If you're going to spend in your plan, take it from a worthless program. Farm Subsidies are good, but don't cut too much at once. There are hundreds of sources of worthless government spending, and the resolution says that the US can change "it's" policy, as long as it is toward Russia, so find some worthless program, and cut from it :)

;) <3

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]