homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:32 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Effects (FXT) topicality
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:59 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
What do you guys think about FXT presses? And how would you run them as neg?

Forgive me if there is already a thread on this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:29 pm 
The boy with the one eyed mechanical girlfriend.

They must be run. And, get any reasonable definition of toward.

Christian. Rail Photographer. Debater. Speaker. Cyclist.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:58 am 
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.

Effects topicality makes reasonable sense to me, depending on the standards. Launching nuclear missiles starts with the press of a button.

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:37 pm 

Could someone explain what this is?

My soul thirsts for you oh Lord

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:32 pm 

Cartman wrote:
Could someone explain what this is?

If I understand the concept right, effects topicality is essentially the theory that significance topicality depends on impacts or effects rather than the magnitude of the actual change. Basically, effects topicality believers will say that the significance of a policy change is measured by the significance of its impacts rather than the actual magnitude of the change.

It makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:17 pm 

Not exactly.

Effects topicality is the concept that a plan is topical through its effects rather than through the actual text of the plan. For example, on an agricultural policy topic, a plan to end NAFTA would probably not be topical (it's foreign policy, it's not included or implemented in the appropriate title of federal law, it's not administered by USDA, etc.), but it could be "effectually topical" because NAFTA has huge implications for US agriculture.

Effects topicality is better understood as a standard than as a topicality argument in and of itself. You would argue as the negative that the affirmative interpretation is bad because it is functionally effects topicality, and that effects topicality isn't okay because any change in policy can ultimately affect something topical. Negatives also like to put FXT in their topicality shells to prevent affirmative teams from arguing that their plan effectually meets the negative's interpretation.

Affirmatives generally respond to FXT standards in one of a couple different ways. First, affirmatives will argue that their interpretation isn't FXT. This argument can be either credible or obvious BS, depending on context. Next, affirmatives often argue that FXT is inevitable. This argument most often takes the form that passing a bill in Congress or signing an executive order is not, in and of itself, a change in policy (much less a change toward a specific entity, if that's in the resolution). Finally, if affirmatives are going for the inevitability argument, they will then argue that a certain number of "steps" between passing the legislation and the "topical change" is legitimate, and that their interpretation allows for some affirmative ground and still maintains a brightline.

I can give an example debate if anyone needs it. I had a lot of FXT debates my last couple years at the college level.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:21 am 

If you're running FX-T as a violation, a great standard is plan in a vacuum. Basically the only way to adjudicate topicality is to look at the plan text, absent the case. Most plans are FX-T under PIV.

Conversely, PIV is an excellent aff counter-standard for Extra-T violations. A lot of the time (especially NFA this year) advantages are super X-T, but that's spiked out in the PT and rarely caught by the neg. So the aff response is "Look at PIV. It specifically says only to the chronically mentally ill. Thus, even if some of my advantages aren't specifically about CMI, I'm topical." Then go into severance-ok theory.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:41 pm 

LocutusofBorg wrote:
If you're running FX-T as a violation, a great standard is plan in a vacuum. Basically the only way to adjudicate topicality is to look at the plan text, absent the case. Most plans are FX-T under PIV.

[Arctic Mil Arctic Mil Arctic Mil]

The vacuum idea also makes it super easy to understand. It's one thing to say "it only "effects Russia so Aff loses," and another thing completely to look at the plan in a vacuum. Responding to Russian threats are not the same thing as changing policy toward Russia.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]