homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:47 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:06 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Haven't read the previous posts in detail.

OP: You're sick of it because it's a bad T. A good significance T press has a clear brightline in the interpretation, for example, a credible source saying a 50% threshold is significant. It's a good T to run, and a good team should be able to beat it, just like any other argument.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:13 am 

[yelling]Do you guys wanna know what dawned on me during composition class earlier this week?[/yelling]

Adv's and DA's ARE a stock issue. Aka, significance. Adv's have to outweigh, otherwise its not significant because it's worse than the SQ. Vote neg because they lost a stock issue.

...sorry. Debate theory revelation. (I'm mah own coach....so, yeah. lol.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:39 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
curlyhairedmenace wrote:
[yelling]Do you guys wanna know what dawned on me during composition class earlier this week?[/yelling]

Adv's and DA's ARE a stock issue. Aka, significance. Adv's have to outweigh, otherwise its not significant because it's worse than the SQ. Vote neg because they lost a stock issue.

...sorry. Debate theory revelation. (I'm mah own coach....so, yeah. lol.)

*insert scream of pain/agony here*

The word "significantly" found in the resolution and the stock issue of significance are two completely separate things.

The word "significantly" deals with the policy reform itself. The stock issue of significance deals with the effects of the plan.

Going back to the topic: there are circumstances under which I would run sig-T. There are some cases this year which I might run sig-T on, but not JVA (my pre-written 1NC for JVA is about thirty seconds too long, and my partner's 2NC is usually stuffed). I like the literature standard a lot. I don't see how a judge could vote you down if you read off some of the advocates for JVA graduation-- that these people would spend time and effort on this issue speaks to it's significance.

Last edited by Sharkfin on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:43 am 
Ok, maybe not the ONLY homeschooler.

Yeah, I get ticked when teams get future Inh, Sig, T, and random-nonapplicable arguments mixed up. AhemLorence/Lorenceahem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:49 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
thehomeschooler wrote:
Yeah, I get ticked when teams get future Inh, Sig, T, and random-nonapplicable arguments mixed up. AhemLorence/Lorenceahem.

Why get ticked? Just explain why the neg arguments fail and move on to the next round.

And if the judge votes on them, then either (A) maybe the arguments did make sense, or (B) some logical link wasn't clearly communicated to show why the don't make sense.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:52 am 
Ok, maybe not the ONLY homeschooler.

ldrox wrote:
Haven't read the previous posts in detail.

OP: You're sick of it because it's a bad T. A good significance T press has a clear brightline in the interpretation...

Yes. We beat JVA in semis with a legit sig T-press.
Quote:
Why get ticked? Just explain why the neg arguments fail and move on to the next round.

We did. And the alumn judges voted us down. It was finals, BTW.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2