homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:01 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to Give a 2NR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 pm 
Hot Ta-Molly

Home Schooled: Yes
So, I have been doing ok speaker points wise, but I really want to improve. My main problem is that my 2NR's are not a good enough "summation".
What can I do to make sure that I focus on the main issues?
How do you tag voting issues?
What do your 2NR's look like?
Any other ideas/tips?

I know Halogen will say to film it, but I'm not really equipped for that.

"Isn't it bewildering…that everything is so beautiful, despite all the horrors that exist?" -Sophie Scholl

Life Posterz

Post subject: Re: How to Give a 2NR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:51 pm 

I think a good way to help your 2NRs is too have a coherent and over-arching Negative philosophy of the round. One that is the point of every argument made on the flow. As you boil your round down to the voting issues, you can tie it all back in, in a pretty package to the philosophy.

There was an Ethos article on the blog recently, I just don't have the link to it. I think that may help, but it's more an overall round booster, not really specific to the 2NR.

Delta_FC

Dawn wrote:
Josh R

Yes?
+X wrote:
Hm. Eminem/MNM would mean Delta F_C... oF course

Join the epidemic
Variola Eradication, Geneva, May 2011

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:56 pm 

Home Schooled: No
Don't be afraid to tailor your speech to your audience.

If you know you have a community judge slow down, and spend 30 seconds explaining what the negative needs to do to win then explain the major reasons why the negative should win and tie that back to those reasons call it a philosophy if you want but be very clear up front then lay out details in the last 4:30. If you have an experienced judge don't be afraid to signpost then just jump in and line by line the flow pointing out at each point why the neg should win then use your last 30 seconds to press voters maybe the big 3 of the arguments you have laid out.

You job is two fold stake out those argument from the 1AR where you felt the aff came up short and lay out those issue that you feel the 2AR might address but simply should not be allowed to stand because the lack of neg rebuttal...basically saying the round is already lost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:35 am 
Hot Ta-Molly

Thanks for the help guys! Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm figuring out how I should do this in the future. Also, for anyone else working on 2NR's, I found this article very helpful. And this one was helpful to, for 2NR's (page 30, at the very bottom), or any other speech for that matter.

"Isn't it bewildering…that everything is so beautiful, despite all the horrors that exist?" -Sophie Scholl

Life Posterz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:33 pm 
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.

Respond to the arguments, and please bring up dropped arguments if Aff dropped some of your responses.

First: Lump up the major Neg arguments into at least one voting issue, preferably more. Don't call them names of stock issues. That's not what anyone wants to hear. If you use a goal of responsible policymaking (my favorite neg goal now :D ), you can directly go back to the the three criteria and answer the questions for the judge: "It isn't needed," "It won't work," and "It's not worth it." If you use other arguments, just try to clump them under more generic titles. Proliferation became a huge argument in my round against IPP last tourney, so I just labeled my second voting issue "Proliferation." But whatever you do, use voting issues.

Second:
Just go through the arguments. Respond to Aff's responses and show which arguments Aff dropped. That will be important to some judges.

Third: End well. End fluently and articulately and sum up in one or two sentences why Aff fails and Neg needs to get a checked box.

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:01 pm 
Epicness at its awesomest

Ooohhohhoo I absolutely adore 2NR's, with very few exceptions. [Namely when I'm getting the crap kicked out of me and know I'm uttering garbage in every point :P ]

Ok, good 2NR's are not simply bottled up and stocked - You have to tailor your speech to both the judge, the opponent, and the way the round is going. There are, however, a few consistant things you can keep in mind no matter what.

1. Theme. Essentially, if you could take every negative speech and sum it up in one second, what would it be? Alternatively, if you haven't really had the time to MAKE a theme throughout the round, now is the time for you to do so. My canned 2NR opener when I don't have something smarter to say is the Calvin and Hobbes quote "Reality continues to ruin my life." From there, all of my sub points are going to be on the concept of reality vs what the aff wishes was the truth.

2. When tagging voting issues, forgo the line by line and make the absolute statement. If you have been arguing over solvency all day long over the question of fiating the supreme court, [random example] and this has gotten into multi-line argument, don't worry about getting that into the tag, just call it like it is. "Voting Issue 3: Zero Solvency." From there, after you've made the absolute statement, it's a recapping of your reasoning that references and encorperates line-by-line, but isn't ALL line-by-line. "The reason my oppnents have no solvency is that their solvency hinges on fiating SCOTA. Now, the primary aff defence against this has been that the aff has fiat over the governemnt in it's entirety, and that entails SCOTA by extension, [make reference to actual quote from 1AR here], but at the end of the day, SCOTA can take no action unless someone challenges the legality of ::insert law here:: in court, and manages to go ALL THE WAY UP CHE CHAIN to get to SCOTA."

3. Make it memorable. We've all been in situations where you could jump up and shout I'LL GIVE YOU FIFTY DOLLARS FOR A 3NR! A ONE MINUTE +X! ANYTHING! Unfortunetely, that's the danger of being neg - Having a 2AR so epic that everything you've said is forgotten. Sollution? Set the bar so high they can't match it. ;) Be passionate. Be funny. Be fast. Do anything at all [within reason, of course] to absolutely keep yourself engrained in the judges mind long after they've entered Judges Hos. Extending the SCOTA example, I would probably make multiple cracks about how the judge needs to just have court be adjurned [sp?] already. Except, you know, funnier. :)

Anyway, those are my three main steps for 2NR's. Otherwise, just remember to mold yourself to fit the round. If you're against total stumbling n00bs, don't worry about showing off your brilliance - Just win on the flow. If you're against a team and the judge looks like s/he's about to fall asleep on you, it's time to be loud and make jokes. If you're debating and you have a debate coach, maybe speed a little bit.

Good luck!

EDIT: I am on a library computer right now, which means I am on E right now, which means I have no spellchecker and the window keeps bouncing up and down and hiding my text, so forgive spelling errors.

- Five year alumni turned debate coach.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:00 pm 
Analyst/Therapist

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I somewhat prided myself on my 2NRs.

I would typically reduce the flow to three to four (max) voters. I would be very clear to the judge at the beginning of the speech on what I was doing and the structure that the speech would follow. As the speech progressed I would tell the judge how to flow each argument as I made them (as an aside, this is a very worthwhile strategy in general, not just in the 2NR. The judge isn't going to remember every word you said, he or she will be looking at their flow after the round to aid them in their decision making. Thus, if you control the judge's flow, you control what he or she sees and thinks even after the round is over. Thus, starting each argument with a line like "The tagline for this point is *short, pithy tag* and you can flow this argument under *voting or stock issue*." This essentially allows you to control what the judge is writing down.)

At the end of each voting issue summary I would explain why that particular issue stood alone as a voter. In other words, if the judge buys only this one argument, that is still sufficient reason to reject the resolution and cast the affirmative ballot. This puts the 2A on the defensive going into their final speech, forcing them to spend valuable time making sure that no 2NR arguments are dropped instead of recapping their case. Since the 2AR is the last word of the debate round, forcing the aff to spend as much time refuting your arguments instead of recapping their own is a powerful tool.

Finally, end well. Finish with a smile and a thank you. And after the 2NR make sure you and your partner respectfully listen to the 2AR instead of packing your evidence and getting ready to leave.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 am 

This is a useful thread for me since I'm a 2N. I really like Mr. November's idea of "controlling" the judge's flow.

What I like to do in the 2NR is try to spike any dumb arguments from the Affirmative team by responding to them before they come out of their mouths. For example: I say Point 1, and the Affirmative team always says Point 2. So in the 2NR I explain Point 1 thoroughly, then mention Point 3 (the response to Point 2) and show that if the Affirmative team says Point 2 in their next speech Point 3 contests that.

I still need to work on doing that^ though.

If the criteria is Net Benefits, you can do a "visual graph". Use one hand for Affirmative team, and one for Negative team. You won't have any hands left! (lame joke) Now, I'll try to explain this.

Let's say in round there are two advantages for Affirmative. You think you successfully took out Adv. 1 and Adv 2. is insignificant. So explain that they don't have an advantage 1 because (insert reason) and that their advantage 2 is insignificant.

Proceed to lift the affirmative team hand just a tiny bit for advantage 2. Then show that your three disadvantages (repeat them) are much more significant than the advantage and tear Affirmative down.

Then proceed to move your Affirmative hand down really far. Then show that the Negative team hand is still at a good level compared to Affirmative's.

If you vote for the Negative team, you get a much better and predictable situation. If you vote for the Affirmative team's case, you will get several disadvantages.

This visual representation helps, but only if you're confident with it. If you're kind of making mistakes then you're just going to have the judge raising an eyebrow at you. By the way, that's a bad thing.

As everyone else said, end with a pleasant smile and I would say "Vote Negative for advantageousness, vote Negative for predictability and security, and vote Negative for the Russian children. Thank you."

Russian children. Lol. Appeal to pity more? By the way, that's for Foreign Aid.

~Zeal~

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]