homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:08 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject: Extra Topical Funding
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:53 pm 
Laugh, or I will kill you

Home Schooled: Yes
Sooo... we all know about this. It's argued each year. But not yet this year, so whaddya'll think of using a non-topical funding source?

;) <3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:03 pm 

lucky13 wrote:
Sooo... we all know about this. It's argued each year. But not yet this year, so whaddya'll think of using a non-topical funding source?

What do you mean by "extra-topical" funding? I've seen some cases funded with Head Start, with ethanol subsidies, with cut foreign aid...all of those are, in my opinion, not entirely legitimate. Are these not being used in Stoa? Or do you consider these "topical" funding sources?

Delta_FC

Dawn wrote:
Josh R

Yes?
+X wrote:
Hm. Eminem/MNM would mean Delta F_C... oF course

Join the epidemic
Variola Eradication, Geneva, May 2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:04 pm 

Quote:
What do you mean by "extra-topical" funding? I've seen some cases funded with Head Start, with ethanol subsidies, with cut foreign aid...all of those are, in my opinion, not entirely legitimate. Are these not being used in Stoa? Or do you consider these "topical" funding sources?

cutting foreign aid to Russia would technically be topical, no?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:10 pm 

Extra topical meaning: "cutting farm subsisidies" "cutting funding to the project based housing fund" "cutting AARP funding" "cutting funding from a worthless government program" "cutting funding for the NASA research on the origin of life"

I've seen all of these. What do you all think? Is it topical?

;) <3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:14 pm 
I know not this "leverage" of which you speak.

It only becomes and issue if you claim advantages from the extra/non topical funding.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:23 pm 

Mr Glasses wrote:
It only becomes and issue if you claim advantages from the extra/non topical funding.
I agree, but what about if an affirmative is challenged on a "Spending D/A" and responds: "we're only cutting funding from a worthless program" so there is no spending D/A. It isn't technically claiming an advantage, but it is using the extra topical funding in an advantageous way.

;) <3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:36 pm 
I know not this "leverage" of which you speak.

lucky13 wrote:
Mr Glasses wrote:
I agree, but what about if an affirmative is challenged on a "Spending D/A" and responds: "we're only cutting funding from a worthless program" so there is no spending D/A. It isn't technically claiming an advantage, but it is using the extra topical funding in an advantageous way.

No. You're de-linking (I assume you are familiar with deabte lingo) the DA. If you started to rant about how the U.S. needs to spend responibly and how wonderful your plan is because of it...then you might run into issues.

At least, I think that's the tradition view. My ideas about funding are starting to shift a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 pm 

Saying the aff must take funding from a topical source is silly. That confines us like a billion dollars. Unfair limits, not real world (T is necessary, but only in plan text), plus I'd run a we-meet of how policy is determined by mandates not implementation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:52 pm 

Flash of light wrote:
Saying the aff must take funding from a topical source is silly. That confines us like a billion dollars. Unfair limits, not real world (T is necessary, but only in plan text), plus I'd run a we-meet of how policy is determined by mandates not implementation.

This.

Please don't run an extra-T funding press. It reeks of desperation.

Last year, my partner and I had totally non-topical funding. I don't think a team ever argued our funding (except to say it would hurt our national security, which wasn't a very good argument). Honestly, I just think there are better things to debate about.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:56 pm 

It all depends on what extra-T source you pick. If you pick something that's politically neutral, then I don't think there's a problem with it. It becomes a problem if:

a) you pull advantages from it. Saying X program is wasteful/harmful, and we cut it. That's just as bad as an extra-T mandate.
b) you take it from something controversial like Planned Parenthood, since any homeschool parent judge would catch that (and write it down) even if you didn't explicitly draw advantages from it.

Flash of light wrote:

I'm pretty sure funding is part of the plan text, correct? Cutting funding from a particular source is identical to a mandate in all respects but its purpose. Instead of directly achieving the listed advantages, it supports the other mandates.

And you can always just take funding from normal means, or GFR. So in that sense the aff isn't confined at all. Spending DA's are notoriously non-unique, and unless the amount in question is in the tens or hundreds of billions, it won't make any significant difference to our budget.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:19 pm 
Evil Democrat

Okay. I told myself I wouldn't do this, so here I go.

It's been said previously that the only way extra-topical funding is abusive is if the affirmative team claim advantages from it, which I would definitely call total BS on. However, every case relies on their funding (i.e. their case won't work/solve if they don't have it). So by taking money from a program or policy that isn't towards Russia, the affirmative team's whole case relies on a non-topical funding source. ALL THEIR ADVANTAGES rely on their funding being used.

So in a way, all their advantages come from their funding.

On top of extra topicality, all specified funding is a total negative ground loss. When the affirmative specifies that we're going to cut [insert funding] , the Negative loses key disadvantage and counterplan ground. The Negative can no longer run spending disadvantages, fiscal responsibility kritiks, budget tradeoff disadvantages, or use them as competition for agent counterplans. This is clear and present loss of ground, and an independent voting issue for abuse.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:36 pm 

Hyper Static Union wrote:
On top of extra topicality, all specified funding is a total negative ground loss. When the affirmative specifies that we're going to cut [insert funding] , the Negative loses key disadvantage and counterplan ground. The Negative can no longer run spending disadvantages, fiscal responsibility kritiks, budget tradeoff disadvantages, or use them as competition for agent counterplans. This is clear and present loss of ground, and an independent voting issue for abuse.

Umm...I'm not sure I follow your logic... You're basically saying that it's not fair that the aff words their plan in a way that avoids arguments. o_0 With that logic, it's not fair for a team to run a good case, because a good case avoids K's, has good solvency, and no DA's.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:43 pm 
Evil Democrat

OppositeWay wrote:

Umm...I'm not sure I follow your logic... You're basically saying that it's not fair that the aff words their plan in a way that avoids arguments. o_0 With that logic, it's not fair for a team to run a good case, because a good case avoids K's, has good solvency, and no DA's.
They're de-linking out of generics that apply to anything. That's a pretty good ground takeout...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm 

It's been said previously that the only way extra-topical funding is abusive is if the affirmative team claim advantages from it, which I would definitely call total BS on. However, every case relies on their funding (i.e. their case won't work/solve if they don't have it). So by taking money from a program or policy that isn't towards Russia, the affirmative team's whole case relies on a non-topical funding source. ALL THEIR ADVANTAGES rely on their funding being used.

So in a way, all their advantages come from their funding.

Yeah, that's true. I hadn't thought about that yet, but it makes sense that all their advantages rely on the presence of that funding. So its an indirect connection, but a connection nonetheless.

I'm not sure about the abuse argument, though. It seems equivalent to spiking out of DA's, which I don't think anyone would consider abusive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:01 pm 

OppositeWay wrote:

They're de-linking out of generics that apply to anything. That's a pretty good ground takeout...
Debate isn't about being fair. Debate is about communicating for God, and hopefully winning. Delinking out of generics is called being smart. I really hate the arguments of "fairness" because they're REALLY whiny.

I hate it even more when people call it "abuse". Don't you people realize how foolish that sounds? Abuse is where you mess someone up for life. My being intelligent and writing a case well is not going to mess you up for life. You're just whining about it.

"ground takeout" is good. That's called intelligence. If the negative isn't smart enough to find another way to win, then too bad for the negative. It's an affirmatives job to make their case as strong as possible and prove that it makes the current system better. It's a negatives job to find a strategy to prove that the case doesn't make the current system better. People need to stop making rounds personal issues, and realize that: "you are not the center of the round. It doesn't matter if you don't have much ground to debate with. Everything is debatable, so find the reason why the affirmative teams plan is bad. There's a reason why it hasn't been passed in the current system, so find that reason. Don't take the round down from the level of debate, to the level of personal arguing."

/rant

;) <3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:05 pm 

Home Schooled: No
Mr Glasses wrote:

Avoiding a disad = claiming an advantage, with regards to theoretical legitimacy and impact calculus.

Specifying that you cut a program, or siphon money from a program, is A) Probably illegal; B) Theoretically bankrupt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:16 pm 

boredguy8 wrote:
Mr Glasses wrote:

Avoiding a disad = claiming an advantage, with regards to theoretical legitimacy and impact calculus.

Specifying that you cut a program, or siphon money from a program, is A) Probably illegal; B) Theoretically bankrupt.
I agree with this statement.

However, the typical response by the affirmative will be: "no, we haven't claimed the advantage specific to the program we cut. In order to do that we would have to say: "abortion funding cut = lives saved". We have claimed an advantage specific to spending. The only difference between our spending and a GFR case is that our version makes better use of the plan text."

Or some variation of that

;) <3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:16 pm 

OppositeWay wrote:

That's not abuse. That's a well-written 1AC.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:29 pm 
The Great White Sharc

Fairness isn't a terrible, whiny argument (inherently). It's the foundation of debate theory. If you take away fairness as an argument you take away debate theory.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:04 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
I look at it this way:

Link: All actions taken by the aff in their plan must be upholding the resolution.
Link: Aff funding is not topical
MPX: Aff funding does not uphold the resolution and thus does not fall under fiat, thus eliminating funding, which eliminates advantages.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next