homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:49 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Parli or Not?
Yes 85%  85%  [ 17 ]
Maybe? 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 20
 Post subject: Parli4STOA?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:29 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
I'm sure this question has been asked before. But I couldn't really find a thread specifically discussing Parliamentary debate coming to STOA.
So: How likely is it that we can see Parli as an IE event somewhere OTHER than Texas in STOA in future years?
At ICC this year, I tried out the informal Parli they ran, and after watching numerous other college parli videos and such, I have to say that it's probably one of the best ways to improve LD and policy debaters. (<3 Prep Time) I also know though that there are concerns in STOA of it turning into an other-debate-"cannibal" though. :roll: :roll:

I guess my question really is, HOW can we get some kind of petition to get STOA to do parli. :o (Or should we?)

Let There Be Parli.

Last edited by Prelims on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Parli4STOA?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:42 am 
JV the Epic

Stoa already has parli. What you need to do is get a tournament director to have one in CA.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:54 am 

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

Parli is the most fun thing ever.

PLEASE make it an official event!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am 

crazydebater wrote:
Stoa already has parli. What you need to do is get a tournament director to have one in CA.

Ah. Technically you're right. I've edited it to fit.

Let There Be Parli.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:37 am 

I put "no" because it would be extremely difficult to make it a viable event. If you don't have either a lot of experience in policy or a good parli coach...it can be a trainwreck. Not saying it can't be done well, but it would be difficult to do in such a decentralized environment.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:17 am 
Cupcake

Just a quick interjection.

Isaiah McPeak put on a parli tournament back at the beginning of April (the Fun Tournament for those of you who may have heard of it) and it went fabulously.

Isaiah filmed a parli tutorial (and posted it on YouTube) that was about an hour long and everyone debating was advised to watch it.

We had about 15 teams, I think, and these teams ranged from finals-caliber debaters to not-previously-broken-before debaters, from freshman (maybe a couple middle-schoolers) to seniors, and I think only two debaters (Peter Voell and Josiah McPeak) had debated at an official parli tournament and everyone else had either only done one or two in-club rounds or nothing at all.

Like I said it went very well; you had good arguments from both sides and all teams, smooth outrounds, and prep was always on time. Our res's were varied from policy, to fact, to value, to metaphor covering a wide range of issues from the ME intervention, to imminent domain, to the war on drugs.

There were, of course, some issues with forgetting protected time or forgetting speech order, but as a whole it was smooth and productive for all of the debaters.

I definitely think this is something to be said for the pro-parli side.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:29 am 
JV the Epic

According to a dude on FB name Alexander James it is official that STOA is doing parli next year. Not sure where he got his info but I will continue to look into it.

I am so stoked I will get to judge it even if I couldn't debate it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 am 
Doesn't have a title.

We need to clarify what is meant by "official" parli. Tournaments have already been doing parli, Speechranks has info on parli tournaments, and there's even a parli national champion team this year (McPeak/Voell represent!!!)

I think the only more "official" it could get is for it to be a NITOC event.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:41 pm 

Drew wrote:
Just a quick interjection.

Isaiah McPeak put on a parli tournament back at the beginning of April (the Fun Tournament for those of you who may have heard of it) and it went fabulously.

Isaiah filmed a parli tutorial (and posted it on YouTube) that was about an hour long and everyone debating was advised to watch it.

We had about 15 teams, I think, and these teams ranged from finals-caliber debaters to not-previously-broken-before debaters, from freshman (maybe a couple middle-schoolers) to seniors, and I think only two debaters (Peter Voell and Josiah McPeak) had debated at an official parli tournament and everyone else had either only done one or two in-club rounds or nothing at all.

Like I said it went very well; you had good arguments from both sides and all teams, smooth outrounds, and prep was always on time. Our res's were varied from policy, to fact, to value, to metaphor covering a wide range of issues from the ME intervention, to imminent domain, to the war on drugs.

There were, of course, some issues with forgetting protected time or forgetting speech order, but as a whole it was smooth and productive for all of the debaters.

I definitely think this is something to be said for the pro-parli side.

^
This is sort of the experience we had. Obviously it won't be perfect right away, but you have to start somewhere.
crazydebater wrote:
According to a dude on FB name Alexander James it is official that STOA is doing parli next year. Not sure where he got his info but I will continue to look into it.

I am so stoked I will get to judge it even if I couldn't debate it.

I have no idea where he got that...but that's GREAT if its true! :D
Halogen wrote:
We need to clarify what is meant by "official" parli. Tournaments have already been doing parli, Speechranks has info on parli tournaments, and there's even a parli national champion team this year (McPeak/Voell represent!!!)

I think the only more "official" it could get is for it to be a NITOC event.

If it was a NITOC event, I think more tournaments would consider implementing it.

Let There Be Parli.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]