homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:25 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: I made a parli tutorial
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:41 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
http://ethosdebate.com/parli-tutorial/

Let me know what else you'd like to see in future tutorials. If you have some example resolutions you'd like to know "how would you prep this?" I can help a little with that too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:48 am 

This is awesome Isaiah...thanks so much!

I hope to apply some of this stuff to my TP rounds as well!! The more thinking I do, the better I can become!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:32 pm 

nate hammett wrote:

I'll second that. Thanks!

"But I declare that Carthage must be destroyed."
Cato the Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:08 am 

Calebjuggler wrote:
nate hammett wrote:

I'll second that. Thanks!

I've watched the first couple of videos. They're quite good.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:05 pm 

This is a tad nitpicky, but three thoughts:

1. It probably won't be an issue with the speed in Stoa, but I would highly suggest flowing with a portrait alignment, not the landscape you drew on the board. When flowing speed, vertical spacing is a lot more important than horizontal, and you'll quickly run out of room on T and DAs if you flow landscape.

2. I don't think its illegal to bring stuff written by other people into NPDA debate rounds.

3. On resolutional interpretation. If you're a TPer and hate value (pick me) its possible to turn value resolutions into policy. Just offer a res anal something like "It is impossible to evaluate values without evaluating the policy implications of those values. Thus we will argue this as a policy round." Its a risk and you should be able to defend it, but if you can't do value its legit. Isaiah kind of got into it when he was talking about running masked DAs as opp.

Last edited by LocutusofBorg on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:30 am 

1. ::shrug:: I've tried both even in speed I prefer horizontal and just use more paper (infinite vertical). But Amy flows vertical.

2. Pretty sure that is a violation of NPDA rules, since PHC almost got thrown out of a tournament for doing that (thankfully, our team lost that outround, haha). It'd be this sentence of NPDA rules: "Except for notes that the debaters themselves have prepared during preparation time".

3. Agree 100%. I hate value.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:05 am 

Isaiah wrote:
2. Pretty sure that is a violation of NPDA rules, since PHC almost got thrown out of a tournament for doing that (thankfully, our team lost that outround, haha). It'd be this sentence of NPDA rules: "Except for notes that the debaters themselves have prepared during preparation time".

3. Agree 100%. I hate value.

2. I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out.

EDIT:
Like I said, these are excellent tutorials...wish this existed when I started parli :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:59 am 

getting your arguments written by someone else is also prohibited by stoa...makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 pm 

ldrox wrote:
getting your arguments written by someone else is also prohibited by stoa...makes sense.

Ok. If its outlawed in Stoa don't do it :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:08 pm 

Just a point of courtesy on POIs I've been noticing, especially on NPDA regional circuit.

A lot of teams (myself included) will not vocally ask for a POI. Technically its very against the rules and can be used as excellent justification for the other team to not take any questions at all.* So, if you're in a room where all four debaters are facing the judge (standard NCFCA/Stoa setup) make sure the podium is behind the tables. If its in front you won't be able to see the other team raise their hand, stand up, whatever they do, and they will spend three minutes with their hand up waiting for you to glance back. Been there.

*If someone were to verbally ask for a POI during my speech I would say something like, "You're out of order and I will not take your question." That's pretty standard.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm 

Interesting perspective and good for everyone to know. I disagree with it, but do realize that taking my advice and saying "point of information" may have the opposite of intended effect.

If I'm judging, I don't see that as an interruption since it is part of the normal rules of parliamentary order. At tournaments, I'm used to seeing people say: "On that point" or "clarification?" or "point of information" all the time

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:54 pm 

Isaiah wrote:
Interesting perspective and good for everyone to know. I disagree with it, but do realize that taking my advice and saying "point of information" may have the opposite of intended effect.

If I'm judging, I don't see that as an interruption since it is part of the normal rules of parliamentary order. At tournaments, I'm used to seeing people say: "On that point" or "clarification?" or "point of information" all the time

Yeah, from what I've seen of PHC's style of parli its really different from the kind I've been exposed to. I'm not saying either style is right, but it probably good to be familiar with all different kinds of styles.

But I do agree that saying "for shame" is not a good idea. I've been shamed once....it was annoying. Especially because I was right.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:15 pm 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

Digression, nerd itch: The picture on the home tutorial page is just down-scaled with HTML, so you're loading a 500kb image for no reason. Have mercy on people with slow connections and make a proper scaled-down thumbnail, instead of loading the entire image and then squishing it in the browser.

Carry on.

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.5 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:45 pm 
The Great White Sharc

Quote:
But I do agree that saying "for shame" is not a good idea. I've been shamed once....it was annoying. Especially because I was right.

Yeah, you have to be really careful with shaming. I was shamed one time after making a statement to the effect of "George Bush utilized his ability to speak Spanish to appeal to the Hispanic population in his election run"......I have no idea what they were shaming me for.

Quote:

While I've heard of that in British Parli, I've never seen it happen in nearly 2 years of NPDA. Interesting.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:53 pm 

013 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, you have to be really careful with shaming. I was shamed one time after making a statement to the effect of "George Bush utilized his ability to speak Spanish to appeal to the Hispanic population in his election run"......I have no idea what they were shaming me for.

Res: The United States should withdraw from Afghanistan
We were aff. Case: Withdraw private contractors
Neg T: must be complete withdrawal of military personnel

I was shamed for saying "Either side has to add words to the resolution to make sense. They add military personnel. We add private contractors. If we were to interpret the resolution literally, we as the aff would have to physically withdraw the 50 United States from Afghanistan. (shame, sir! Shame) That's what the resolution literally says."

Same as 013. Not sure what they were complaining about.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:53 am 
Doesn't have a title.

LocutusofBorg wrote:
Just a point of courtesy on POIs I've been noticing, especially on NPDA regional circuit.

A lot of teams (myself included) will not vocally ask for a POI. Technically its very against the rules and can be used as excellent justification for the other team to not take any questions at all.* So, if you're in a room where all four debaters are facing the judge (standard NCFCA/Stoa setup) make sure the podium is behind the tables. If its in front you won't be able to see the other team raise their hand, stand up, whatever they do, and they will spend three minutes with their hand up waiting for you to glance back. Been there.

*If someone were to verbally ask for a POI during my speech I would say something like, "You're out of order and I will not take your question." That's pretty standard.
Or just throw a paper air plane at the speaker. No one can ignore that. ;)

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]