homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:16 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:51 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
So, I am going to compete in parliamentary at a Stoa tournament next week. And I don't really have a good idea of how it's supposed to work. Can anyone help?
I read the Stoa rules and a few basic things on how parli works, but I still have a lot of questions about how the actual debate round functions.

What is expected with Points of Interest? What I mean is, in Stoa, is it standard for them to be questions or statements or both? How often are they made and how are they presented? Is there any generally accepted ideas about when to accept or refuse them? Do people do the "teacup" thing in Stoa?

And with Points of Order--do these come up often in Stoa and when are they appropriate? If my oponnent starts going overtime and doesn't stop, is it accepted to bring that up?

I also had questions about case format. I know there are fact, value, or policy resolutions, but do you structure the cases like you would an LD or TP case, or does anything go? Is there something generally expected in a parli case not found in LD or TP? I read about a "case statement" in one article on parli--is it expected to have one in your case, and do you need to define terms?

Also, what information may and may not be referenced in the debate round? I know the debate is supposed to be within the "knowledge of educated/informed citizens" (that seems a little bit ambiguous), but some of the sample resolutions I've seen seem to cover unfamiliar territory.

Does anyone have a link to a good Stoa round they would like to share?

That's all the questions I had :)

"But I declare that Carthage must be destroyed."
Cato the Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09 pm 

FYI Ethos Debate will have a parli tutorial on its site very, very soon (I'm trying to finish this tomorrow). It will answer all your questions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:52 am 

He knows a lot more about parli than me, so I'll wait for Isaiah's post before adding anything. But I'll just say this--its called a Point of Information, not Point of Interest ;)

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:13 pm 

LocutusofBorg wrote:
But I'll just say this--its called a Point of Information, not Point of Interest ;)

Right. I knew that. :oops:

"But I declare that Carthage must be destroyed."
Cato the Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:32 pm 

All the videos are "uploading" or "processing" on youtube right now :-)

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]