homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:42 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: October Parli in Texas
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:25 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
The Texas parliamentary season opener has come and gone. The tournament ran smoothly thanks to the long hours of planning and professional execution by the DFW tournament staff. For many students, it was the first exposure to parlimentary debate at the high school level. Topics covered included the Cuba travel ban, regulating facebook, reducing the deficit, cyber terrorism and my personal favorite... the value of brains v.s. brawn. The general concensus seems to be that it is a lot of fun and very challenging.

Just how challenging?

I took a survey of the 24 students that comprised the 12 teams competing at the event. Of the 24 students:

7 have taken first place at a debate tournament (in debate)
8 have been to finals at a debate tournament (That is one third of the debaters!)
12 have been to semi-finals at a debate tournament (that is HALF of the debaters)
16 have been to quarters at a debate tournament (Two Thirds!)
Every student had at least broken to double octs before at a debate tournament.

The level of experience among the debaters was high enough that every round seemed like a deep outround at a traditional tournament. I am thankful that all of my students have the opportunity to experience this level of debate. The Stoa Texas tournaments are ramping up in size and offerings through the fall. The next tournament is only a few weeks a way (October 21-23)!

If you are interested in parliamentary debate or in TP/LD/Impromptu/Apologetics/Persuasive then I would encourage you to register before the deadline this Thursday. More information is available at https://aafall.homeschooldebate.net/

I hope to see you there!

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]