homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:30 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
It seems like I'll be coaching parli this year. Would anyone be willing to share advice/ideas on how to prepare students to do parli? For experienced parli debaters, what helped you reach the level you are at today in parli debate?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:48 am 

A couple thoughts...

1. Really focus on the prep. The debating is super important, but the prep is super-est important. Practice prepping over and over.

2. Don't let it get too goofy. It's about being wise, witty, and making good decisions.

3. Teach the fallacy of equivocation backwards and forwards. It's a life saver in regular debate but especially in parli. IF an economist could link the minimum wage to nuclear war, don't you think he would? Of course. It'd make a great paper. Mashing concepts together (economy >> angry China >> unstable people >> nuclear war) when no single link is to the same degree as prior links is really poor decisionmaking.

4. Work on questioning the basics. "What is that" is one of the best POIs that exists, even if it seems embarrassing to ask.

5. The "best" clubs usually develop several standard cases they have researched pretty thoroughly and can apply to rounds from time to time. You can memorize some standard arguments and prep them really quickly and know a bunch about them.

6. Learn good generics (masking DAs, consult counterplans, etc).

7. Work on the cleverness/wittiness/figures of speech. Getting these to be habitual produces cleverness but is difficult to cultivate.

8. Learn the types of authority (5th common topic, classical rhetoric) and work on using a wide variety in arguments (not just theory, just logic, just history, etc -- it's dangerous to get in a rut).

9. Watch the Irish debates.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:27 pm 
Ok, maybe not the ONLY homeschooler.

Isaiah wrote:
Watch the Irish debates.

I would like to see links to some of these ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:10 am 

Home Schooled: No
Last year at one of our local tournaments, I judged a U of Alaska debater who was from Ireland. He had a Darth Vader voice with an Irish accent, and every time he either raised or accepted a point from a female opponent, he began it by saying "Madame!" in this very distinctive way. I told my own debaters about it, and imitated him to them for the rest of the weekend. Nothing condescending or nasty; I just thought his way of speaking was splendid.

Even now when my team members want to get a grin out of me, they'll say "Madame!"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:05 pm 
Meeshmoosh

DrSraderNCU wrote:
Last year at one of our local tournaments, I judged a U of Alaska debater who was from Ireland. He had a Darth Vader voice with an Irish accent, and every time he either raised or accepted a point from a female opponent, he began it by saying "Madame!" in this very distinctive way. I told my own debaters about it, and imitated him to them for the rest of the weekend. Nothing condescending or nasty; I just thought his way of speaking was splendid.

Even now when my team members want to get a grin out of me, they'll say "Madame!"

:D

Bosh Bebb wrote:
What do you guys think about disenfranchising all white people? That could be legit, too. I think there's lots of advocacy for it.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]