homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:58 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stoa Parli Rules
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:46 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Here is a copy of the Stoa Parli rules. Please remember that this is a pilot program and thus these rules are a starting point. At the end of the 2010-2011 season, the Stoa Parli committee will review the rules and adapt based on feedback collected during the year.

1. Eligibility: Each debater must either have reached age sixteen (16) by January 1st of the competition year, have competed for two or more years in another debate format, or receive consent from her/his coach.

2. Resolutions

• Nature of Resolutions: The topic for each round may be about current affairs or philosophy. The resolutions will be general enough that a well-educated high school student can debate them. They may be phrased in literal or metaphorical language and deal with questions of fact, value or policy.
  • Preparation Time: A different resolution for each round will be presented to the debaters at a specified time prior to the beginning of each debate. The specified time will be determined by adding fifteen minutes to the amount of time needed to walk to the most distant building in which debates will occur. The official start of preparation time shall be announced with the topic. Debaters and judges are responsible for starting their time at the time of announcement and should arrive promptly in their event room at the specified time.

3. Objective of the debate: The Government team must affirm the resolution by presenting and defending a sufficient case for that resolution. The Opposition team must oppose the resolution and/or the Government team’s case. If, at the end of the debate, the judge believes that the Government team has supported and successfully defended the resolution, they will be declared the winner, otherwise the Opposition will be declared the winner.

4. Before the debate: All parliamentary teams will gather in the Parliamentary Resolution Announcement Room at a specified time before each round. Once the topic has been announced, each team will have fifteen (15) minutes to prepare for the debate. Competitors may prepare using whatever resources they would like during the fifteen minutes of preparation time, including electronic devices (unless otherwise banned by the Tournament Director). However, only information handwritten during preparation time can be taken into the round.

5. During the debate

• Use of Materials: Debaters may refer to any information that is within the realm of knowledge of educated and informed citizens. The intent of parliamentary debate is to encourage an extemporaneous or impromptu argumentation. Reference to outside materials should be limited; instead, students should rely on general knowledge, common sense, and application of logic and analysis. The use of outside materials is allowed within the following parameters:
    (1) No prepared materials may be brought into the debate round for the debater’s use;
    (2) Debaters are not permitted to read published material in the speeches of the debate to support their argument claims;
    (3) During the debate, students may only consult notes they handwrote themselves during the preparation period;
    (4) Debaters may take and use notes during the debate; and
    (5) Electronic devices may not be powered on in the debate room.
  • Order of the debate: At the start of the debate, the Speaker of the House shall call the House to order. The Prime Minister shall repeat the resolution during her/his first speech. Speeches shall proceed in the following order with the following maximum speech times:
    Prime Minister Constructive: 7 minutes
    Leader of Opposition Constructive: 7 minutes
    Member of Government Constructive: 7 minutes
    Member of Opposition Constructive: 7 minutes
    Leader of Opposition Rebuttal: 5 minutes
    Prime Minister Rebuttal: 5 minutes
  • Constructive and Rebuttal Speeches: Introduction of new arguments is appropriate during all constructive speeches. However, debaters may not introduce new arguments in rebuttal speeches except to refute arguments that were first raised in the constructive speeches of the other team. New examples, analysis, analogies, etc. that support previously introduced arguments are permitted in rebuttal speeches.
  • Points of Information: Each speaker may be interrupted with questions or statements from the opposing team after the first minute of the speech (which the Timekeeper signals by rapping loudly on the table) and before the last minute of the speech. Therefore the first & last minute of each speech is ‘protected time’ and may not be interrupted by the opponent. The debater holding the floor has the discretion to accept or refuse points of information. If accepted, the debater requesting the point of information has a maximum of fifteen seconds to make a statement or ask a question. The speaking time of the debater with the floor continues during the point of information.
  • Judge feedback during the Round: Judges as well as observers may respond to a speaker’s point (i.e.- with gestures or audible acknowledgment), but agreement/disagreement indicators must not interrupt the speaker.

Minor formatting changes have been made to adapt these rules to work with the forum formatting

Post subject: Re: Stoa Parli Rules
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:48 am 

Where did you find these?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:52 am 

In my inbox :)

Everyone in the TX Stoa loop should have received a copy yesterday and we are working to make the information available to everyone we can.

These are the "Final" rules for this season.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:00 am 

Wow... is this a nation-wide thing, or a Texas-only thing? It isn't on the websites (stoaca.org, stoausa.org). Sounds really neat, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:02 am 

My understanding is that it is a nation wide pilot, but there will be several tournaments in Texas with a few more in other places. I don't think there will be Parli at NITOC, but we are doing our best to organize a PITOC (or something like that).

This is BRAND new information, just released. It is working its way onto the websites but HSD is getting it a step ahead :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:16 am 
Not wiggidy-whack; just the regular kind

CoachTigger wrote:
My understanding is that it is a nation wide pilot, but there will be several tournaments in Texas with a few more in other places. I don't think there will be Parli at NITOC, but we are doing our best to organize a PITOC (or something like that).

This is BRAND new information, just released. It is working its way onto the websites but HSD is getting it a step ahead :)

Thank you, Mr. S! :D

Also, I would like to encourage you all to inform your fellow debaters of this event. If Parli. interests you at all and you think your club or another club might benefit from it, please let them know.

Also, if you have any private questions regarding this event that need answers, feel free to PM either CoachTigger or myself. I know we would both be happy to help. :)

"I forget the last time I felt brave/I just recall insecurity/Cuz it came down like a tidal wave/And sorrow swept over me/I was given grace and love/I was blind but now I can see/Cuz I found a new hope from above/And courage swept over me..."~Owl City[Tidal Wave]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:30 am 
Doesn't have a title.

Thanks, CoachTigger.
ManiacDebater wrote:
Wow... is this a nation-wide thing, or a Texas-only thing? It isn't on the websites (stoaca.org, stoausa.org). Sounds really neat, though.
It's on stoaTX.org -- http://stoatx.org/resources/Stoa%20Parl ... 0Final.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:53 am 
I eat Jabberwockys for breakfast

I've gotta say, I'm worried about the "objective of the debate".

Quote:
The Government team must affirm the resolution by presenting and defending a sufficient case for that resolution. The Opposition team must oppose the resolution and/or the Government team’s case. If, at the end of the debate, the judge believes that the Government team has supported and successfully defended the resolution, they will be declared the winner, otherwise the Opposition will be declared the winner.

This provides rule support for govs to run "topical counterplans bad", which I'm not a huge fan of. But more importantly, it basically guts all ground for kritiks or procedural debates. Personally, I think that the best thing about having parli is that it's supposed to be DIFFERENT from policy debate- the new format should make it so that parents don't have the same expectations that they do when they watch a policy round. I think this provides an open door for people to turn parli into "policy-lite", instead of the completely different beast that it's meant to be.

Other than that and the speech times, I've gotta say- pretty rad.

[pleasebringthistocalifornia]

Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:22 am 
Doesn't have a title.

It says opp must oppose the resolution and/or gov's case, so I guess they could defend the resolution with a topical CP while convincing the judge that the gov unsuccessfully tried to defend the resolution. It's not about the the success of the resolution, but the success of the government's defense of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:52 am 
The Great White Sharc

Comments:

Rule 1 is worded ambiguously.

Rule 3 has some concerns as Shipsey outlined.

Why change the speech times? It seems as though this would give a slight advantage to the opp.

"Introduction of new arguments is appropriate during all constructive speeches" Very very very bad. You've got one aff rebuttal after the MOC, and that's the last speech of the debate. This allows no argumentation about new stuff in the MOC, as the opp can just appeal to the rules. Probably the worst thing on here. It's a close tie with my last comment.

"Debaters may not introduce new arguments in rebuttal speeches except to refute arguments that were first raised in the constructive speeches of the other team" Ambiguous. Does this allow the PMR to respond to something first brought up in the LOC? Or, even worse, the LOR responding to the PMC?

POIs in rebuttals allowed? Not necessarily bad, but not odd, I think.

You're allowed to make statements in POIs? Again, odd.

I love the allowance of audible support.

NO POINTS OF ORDER. WHAT THE HECK.

Yeah, I really think there are some serious issues on there that should be reviewed.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:06 am 

013 wrote:
Rule 1 is worded ambiguously.

The intention is that this event should be for advanced debaters, the rule was written to allow great flexibility in what qualifies as an advanced debater.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:09 am 
The Great White Sharc

I'm just saying it seems to have an, "eats, shoots and leaves" problem. But maybe that's just because I'm not very good with grammar.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:12 am 

I'll pass that along, things like that can still be fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:38 pm 

Home Schooled: No
013 wrote:
You're allowed to make statements in POIs? Again, odd.
No, that's pretty standard. The absence of any mention of points of order is troubling, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:25 am 
Not wiggidy-whack; just the regular kind

013 wrote:
NO POINTS OF ORDER. WHAT THE HECK.

WHAAAAAT???! Are you KIDDING me???

Oh, man. :evil:

Why?

CoachTigger wrote:
I'll pass that along, things like that can still be fixed.

I sure hope you mean the aforementioned issue. That is rather upsetting.

"I forget the last time I felt brave/I just recall insecurity/Cuz it came down like a tidal wave/And sorrow swept over me/I was given grace and love/I was blind but now I can see/Cuz I found a new hope from above/And courage swept over me..."~Owl City[Tidal Wave]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:11 pm 

Just fyi, the updated rules have been posted at: http://stoatx.org/page13.php
The POI/Points of Order issue has been clarified, as well as the "objective of debate section" and the issue of new arguments in the rebuttals.

Hope to see y'all at the parli season opener on October 1st and 2nd! http://www.dfwspeechdebate.com/

-Adam Nasser

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]