homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:40 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Home Schooled: Yes
The other petition inspired me to create a petition for NCFCA to include Parliamentary debate at their Nationals just for fun to see how many signatures it will get and see if NCFCA will actually consider doing it. :)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:47 am 

Evan wrote:
The other petition inspired me to create a petition for NCFCA to include Parliamentary debate at their Nationals just for fun to see how many signatures it will get and see if NCFCA will actually consider doing it. :)

Parli is not something for NCFCA. :P It wouldn't fit their style.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:55 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Hammy wrote:
Evan wrote:

Perhaps. But I do believe several NCFCA'ers competed in Parli and did well enough to break to Parli outrounds at Stoa's NITOC. I think NCFCA should at least offer the event for those who don't want to have to compete in two leagues just to do Parli. Though us Stoans love to see all you NCFCA'ers come to NITOC :) Point being it would make life easier for NCFCA Parliamentarians and help them qualify for NITOC and possibly also have educational fun at NCFCA Nats.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:04 am 

Evan wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Evan wrote:

Perhaps. But I do believe several NCFCA'ers competed in Parli and did well enough to break to Parli outrounds at Stoa's NITOC. I think NCFCA should at least offer the event for those who don't want to have to compete in two leagues just to do Parli. Though us Stoans love to see all you NCFCA'ers come to NITOC :) Point being it would make life easier for NCFCA Parliamentarians and help them qualify for NITOC and possibly also have educational fun at NCFCA Nats.

Speaking as a person who has never done Parli (though I am considering it Next year), Parli would be fun but I don't see the need for NCFCA to have an additional wing of debate.
I don't completely understand how Parli works, but to me, wouldn't it distract? Some Regions hardly have enough teams to have quarterfinals or semifinals. Adding an additional type of debate will distract from the overall focus and weaken other groups of debate. There are already Parli tournaments, and I don't see a need for the NCFCA to cross over to it.
If doing so would destroy STOA and send all their debaters to NCFCA (which I think is probably a bad idea), it may work, but even then, many NCFCAers already compete in STOA, rendering it pointless. Parli sounds fun though :), I might try some next year.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:05 am 

Evan wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Evan wrote:

I get how it would make things more convenient, but Parli really doesn't match NCFCA's style. Stoa is more laid back and lax on the rules with a more casual atmosphere. As such, the debate event where you bang on the table and interrupt people mid-speech works in that Stoa setting. But NCFCA has always been for being more professional with more rules and a generally not as casual setting. Parli just doesn't fit into that. I can see the advantages of Parli, but as Mrs. Hudson says, we do already have those skills in NCFCA. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:12 am 

Question regarding Parli at NFCA Nationals: how would the logistics work? Is this a formal job with powermatched rounds done by tab, or is it some informal event run mostly by students? I'm hesitant to sign the petition when I don't know quite how it will work (much like a judge with a debate plan).

Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2012-13
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2013-14
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2014-15
Barndt/Blacklock | Arete, R10 | 2015-16
Barndt/Cuddeback | R10 | 2016-17
Barndt/Wolf | SALT, R10 | 2017-18

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
I'm inclined to think like Andrew does.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:46 am 

@Andrew: If Parli was adopted as an official event then it would be run by the tournament directors and would be power matched.
@Hammy: I think a lot of NCFCAers may have flawed view of what parli is. While it is more laid back, it's not the do whatever you want however you want event that some people make it out to be. There are actually rules and at a tournament like NITOC the debates are very informative and usually on very educational topics. :) In regards to parli not matching the NCFCA style, I think the style of a parli round really depends on who is debating and in what environment. Thinking of Parli as "the debate event where you bang on the table and interrupt people mid-speech" is a misconception I think. Sure, in parli you are allowed to stand up in the other team's speech and if you recognized by the speaker you may ask a question during their speaking time, however that is not the same as interrupting "mid-speech". As to knocking, I really don't see that as unprofessional if used correctly. I would encourge people to go watch a parli round on you tube before making assumptions as to what it is. You might like it. ;) As to the educational value of parli I think parli is the best way to sharpen real world analytical skills of thinking on your feet about important issues and being able to defend that position. It has the limited prep aspect of Extemp. and the requirement of having to defend your position against others and think on your feet that LD and TP have. This makes the debate not about who did more research before the tournament, but rather who can debate an issue with a limited amount of time to prepare better. In my opinion that is a more realistic and applicable skill for real life.
@JohnMark: I don't think Parli would detract from LD or TP. In Stoa, (as far as I've seen), people tend to do LD and Parli or TP and Parli not usually just Parli. An easy way to avoid this problem is to just have parli a day before the tournament would start normally and for those who want to do parli they can come a day early and do all six round that day.

/end rant

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:10 am 

atshelton wrote:
If Parli was adopted as an official event then it would be run by the tournament directors and would be power matched.
atshelton wrote:
An easy way to avoid this problem is to just have parli a day before the tournament would start normally and for those who want to do parli they can come a day early and do all six round that day.

This does not sound like something either the NCFCA leadership or competitors would want to do. Tournament staff are already busy enough as is; telling them to run a day of parli - during the time they're figuring out other tournament details - is not going to go over well with them. And competitors who would enjoy doing parli are probably going to be debating at Nationals, and would likely prefer to strategize before the tournament. I can't speak for all competitors, and I know I'm wrong about several, but I doubt many competitors would value for-fun parli over true, competitive debate. Now there are certainly many people not debating who would do parli, and I respect that. I fail to see how the benefits of having an actual parli tournament before Nationals outweighs the drawbacks, though. :)

Now if this parli tournament were arranged by competitors themselves, that would provide the benefits and also avoid the drawbacks of having it as an official event.

Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2012-13
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2013-14
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2014-15
Barndt/Blacklock | Arete, R10 | 2015-16
Barndt/Cuddeback | R10 | 2016-17
Barndt/Wolf | SALT, R10 | 2017-18

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
I'm inclined to think like Andrew does.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:54 am 
McNixmunk

I think Parli would be terrible for NCFCA, and I signed the petition because it would be terrible for NCFCA.

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth" - Albert Camus

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:34 am 
Hint hint peoples.

For all the people concerned about how NCFCA tournament staff would run Parli, reference NITOC 2013's schedule and NITOC 2014's schedule. They are different, but both possible ways to run Parli at Nationals. Also the arguments about Parli pirating the other debate events can easily be solved as it has in Stoa by requiring Parliamentarians to compete in two debate events. Parli has done incredibly well in Stoa and I think can be done very well if replicated in NCFCA. Real world empirics > Theoretical.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:17 pm 

JeremyB wrote:
I think Parli would be terrible for NCFCA, and I signed the petition because it would be terrible for NCFCA.

:|

atshelton wrote:
@Hammy: I think a lot of NCFCAers may have flawed view of what parli is. While it is more laid back, it's not the do whatever you want however you want event that some people make it out to be. There are actually rules and at a tournament like NITOC the debates are very informative and usually on very educational topics. :) In regards to parli not matching the NCFCA style, I think the style of a parli round really depends on who is debating and in what environment. Thinking of Parli as "the debate event where you bang on the table and interrupt people mid-speech" is a misconception I think. Sure, in parli you are allowed to stand up in the other team's speech and if you recognized by the speaker you may ask a question during their speaking time, however that is not the same as interrupting "mid-speech". As to knocking, I really don't see that as unprofessional if used correctly. I would encourge people to go watch a parli round on you tube before making assumptions as to what it is. You might like it. ;) As to the educational value of parli I think parli is the best way to sharpen real world analytical skills of thinking on your feet about important issues and being able to defend that position. It has the limited prep aspect of Extemp. and the requirement of having to defend your position against others and think on your feet that LD and TP have. This makes the debate not about who did more research before the tournament, but rather who can debate an issue with a limited amount of time to prepare better. In my opinion that is a more realistic and applicable skill for real life.

Except that TP is already not about who does the most research before hand, and neither is Extemp. Research is irrelevant in the face of who is actually debating.

But what kind of debate event can have interrupting mid speech and asking questions. That's disrespectful at best, and devastating at worst. It doesn't show the type of etiquette that NCFCA has been all about. People making rude Cross Xs are bad enough, much less actually interrupting mid-speech. You say that it isn't interrupting mid-speech, but it is. :D You stand up when they're speaking and ask to ask a question. If that's not interrupting mid-speech than I don't know what is.

In addition to that, the skills that you just listed are covered by Extemp and Team Policy debate. ;)

That also brings up another area of incompatibility. Wireless internet. I've been to many NCFCA tournaments that don't have any wireless access. We're already having a hard enough time finding tournament locations much less throwing in that whole new requirement.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:29 pm 

Hammy wrote:

Except that TP is already not about who does the most research before hand, and neither is Extemp. Research is irrelevant in the face of who is actually debating.

But what kind of debate event can have interrupting mid speech and asking questions. That's disrespectful at best, and devastating at worst. It doesn't show the type of etiquette that NCFCA has been all about. People making rude Cross Xs are bad enough, much less actually interrupting mid-speech. You say that it isn't interrupting mid-speech, but it is. :D You stand up when they're speaking and ask to ask a question. If that's not interrupting mid-speech than I don't know what is.

In addition to that, the skills that you just listed are covered by Extemp and Team Policy debate. ;)

That also brings up another area of incompatibility. Wireless internet. I've been to many NCFCA tournaments that don't have any wireless access. We're already having a hard enough time finding tournament locations much less throwing in that whole new requirement.

I'd first of all like to point out that in regards to Extemp there is absolutely no fact check except for what the judge knows, which in some cases can be very limited when it comes to current events. Parli provides this requirement of having to defend what you came up with on the spot. Neither TP nor Extemp has this aspect. TP has you defending a position but you've researched that position all year which I think is pretty unrealistic. In the real world you usually have a very limited amount of time to come up with a case to defend your position on a current/social issue and aren't going to be researching it all season. Or as the Stoa website would say, "The goal is to prepare students to deal with real world advocacy and argumentation in a manner that exhibits maturity, wisdom, grace and poise, bringing glory to Our Lord Jesus Christ." :) In regards to the "interrupting mid-speech" point, I think you're making it out to be different then it actually is. If the speaker chooses to he can say "not at this time, I'll finish my point then take your question." Or "not now I'm short on time." Or the speaker can ignore him until he finishes his thought then answer. He isn't ever forced to take a question. Also, in Stoa currently POIs aren't allowed in rebuttals, so there are speeches without "interruptions". However, I'd like to point out that this form of asking questions is way more realistic then the usual formal CX. In regards to facilities, Stoa has been able to find facilities for all of it's parli tournaments and last time I checked most universities and large churches where NCFCA tournaments are hosted generally have internet somewhere. ;)

Also, if we are going to discuss this further then maybe a thread split is in order.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:10 pm 

atshelton wrote:
Hammy wrote:

I'd first of all like to point out that in regards to Extemp there is absolutely no fact check except for what the judge knows, which in some cases can be very limited when it comes to current events. Parli provides this requirement of having to defend what you came up with on the spot. Neither TP nor Extemp has this aspect. TP has you defending a position but you've researched that position all year which I think is pretty unrealistic. In the real world you usually have a very limited amount of time to come up with a case to defend your position on a current/social issue and aren't going to be researching it all season. Or as the Stoa website would say, "The goal is to prepare students to deal with real world advocacy and argumentation in a manner that exhibits maturity, wisdom, grace and poise, bringing glory to Our Lord Jesus Christ." :) In regards to the "interrupting mid-speech" point, I think you're making it out to be different then it actually is. If the speaker chooses to he can say "not at this time, I'll finish my point then take your question." Or "not now I'm short on time." Or the speaker can ignore him until he finishes his thought then answer. He isn't ever forced to take a question. Also, in Stoa currently POIs aren't allowed in rebuttals, so there are speeches without "interruptions". However, I'd like to point out that this form of asking questions is way more realistic then the usual formal CX. In regards to facilities, Stoa has been able to find facilities for all of it's parli tournaments and last time I checked most universities and large churches where NCFCA tournaments are hosted generally have internet somewhere. ;)

Also, if we are going to discuss this further then maybe a thread split is in order.

I guess we haven't been at the same tournament facilities in the past. :P

On the note of interruptions, the damage has already been done. Even if the speaker doesn't get to ask a question because he's turned down, he's already been interrupted. His train of thought has already been disturbed along with his connection with the judge. Like I said, it's disturbing to the flow of debate and a downright rude system. It doesn't matter if the speaker can turn down the question, he's still been interrupted.

Actually Parli and Extemp are rather unrealistic in that regard. :P In real life if we're given the opportunity to research and present a case for or against something, we're going to have time to prepare. Example: A school assignment. It follows after TP. You have say, a week to do all your research and get things together. I can't think of a single example where you would have thirty minutes to fully research something, vs. impromptu where you have such a limited time with no research. There's just about no practical application for Parli instead of TP or Impromptu. You're right, we should hold to NCFCA's standard that you showed, but Parli just doesn't match that.

A split would be nice. :P RAZI!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:02 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

Parli is the greatest thing to happen to debate ever. I thought it was kind of dumb, and then I tried it. That's the story I've heard from just about everyone who's done it. And it's not very much like either of the other forms of debate or speech. Trying to compare it to TP, Impromptu, or extemp is kind of pointless from my experience.

That being said, I don't think the NCFCA should adopt it, at least not in the way that they currently run tournament. It would add an extra day at minimum and whole new boatload of complications.

Coach: ResolvedFL - Sigma Society
USF - Class of '19 - Applied Mathematics

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:05 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

Hammy wrote:
But what kind of debate event can have interrupting mid speech and asking questions? That's disrespectful at best, and devastating at worst.

Parli can. It works extremely well. You should try it sometime.

Coach: ResolvedFL - Sigma Society
USF - Class of '19 - Applied Mathematics

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:01 pm 

In regards to the interruption point and damage being done just by someone standing up, I would encourage you to go watch an actual parli round and it really isn't a rude interruption and certainly isn't "devastating" simply a way of asking a question that can be turned down, delayed, or simply ignored. Speaking of which here is last years Parli finals at NITOC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pRNdMs74zY for those interested in seeing what it actually looks like. As someone who has competed in parli I personally don't find it distracting. Also, FYI Parli prep is 15 minutes not 30. :P As Graham said almost everyone who has done parli likes it. I might be willing to reconsider my position if you are able to find 5 people in the U.S. who have competed in and yet not liked parli. Since this probably won't happen in NCFCA anytime soon though I'd be all for a student run thing until then. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:39 pm 

It seems like, at least for the time being, NCFCA-sanctioned parli isn't going to happen. On the other hand, the day after nats (Saturday) seems like an opportune time to do something un-official and student-run. I really want to do parli before I graduate, so I'd be willing to spearhead the effort to get it set up, but I want to gauge interest before trying to get space, judges, etc. So:

CLICK HERE for the interest form. And share it with anyone you think might be interested.

2010-11 | Freshman | Bardsley/King | IX | 13th at Regionals
2011-12 | Sophomore | Dovel/King | IX | Q'd to Nationals
2012-13 | Junior | Dovel/King | IX | 17th at Nationals
2013-14 | Senior | Dovel/King | IX | 5th at Nationals

Baylor University class of 2018

Last edited by kingwill on Fri May 02, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:40 pm 

The way "points of information work" is pretty much, the person stands up and waits for the speaker to recognize him. There isn't any verbal interruption, and frankly, most judges find verbal interruption to be super rude. There are "point of orders" but they're different and the best thing ever. We've all probably experienced rebuttal abuse, and "point of orders" exist so people can appeal a misrepresented argument or a new argument in the rebuttal. This actual allows for a fairer debate to take place.

I'm a second year debater in STOA that's done decently in both TP and LD, but I've found that parli has been the most beneficial form of debate. Parli is more real world in that it's more conversational, less structured, and teaches kids to think off of their feet as no prep time is allowed. It's similar to a coffee shop debate that one would find himself in when he isn't in a suit. :) No one is going to start sorting through briefs and reading cards in their local Starbucks. But people still discuss issues and look to the common man warrants.

Also, (at least according to my coaches) parli is the most common form of debate in collegiate debate. So if you are thinking of that for the future, parli debate now is pretty beneficial for the future. :)

The best parli debaters are the ones who are well versed in many topics/formats. And yes, even past extemp (though extemp helps in parli). Some of this year and last year's top parli teams like Ortiz/Pena, Marton/Winchel, Chapman/Heise, Bakke/Hillery, and Kendrick/Kendrick are super good because they are well rounded in things past simply "current events" or their "debate resolution." I'd partially attribute their success to active learning in other realms. Also, parli teaches values and policy theory, making transitioning formats really easy.

I had originally planned on doing TP this year, but half-way through pre-season, God decided to close the door on that. It wasn't to hard for me to transition debate formats because of parli. I still don't like LD (Evan knows this haha) but I can at least not die because I understand values.

Most of the people I've found who don't like parli are the ones who don't try to learn anything past what they are comfortable with (ie. LDer who only likes values). The ones who enjoy it are the ones who try to grow with the differences in the format.

Obviously, this is going to be NCFCA's decision, but I'd urge you not to discount parli without trying it out, whether it be at a tournament, summer camp, or with some friends. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:54 pm 

kitkathasegawa wrote:
Most of the people I've found who don't like parli are the ones who don't try to learn anything past what they are comfortable with (ie. LDer who only likes values). The ones who enjoy it are the ones who try to grow with the differences in the format.

Obviously, this is going to be NCFCA's decision, but I'd urge you not to discount parli without trying it out, whether it be at a tournament, summer camp, or with some friends. :)

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that Parli isn't fun or productive, I'm certain that it's excellent in both regards. All I'm saying is that it doesn't match NCFCA's standpoint of views and current listing of events. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:52 pm 

Home Schooled: No
Interruption is part of a ton of different speaking contexts. Any of you who go to law school, if you ever appear before an appellate panel, including the US Supreme Court, expect to be interrupted every few minutes. Congress operates by parliamentary procedure, as do most state legislatures and city councils, meaning other members can ask the speaker to yield to a question. Educators and presenters in business settings very often take questions mid-presentation. A speaking league that has no events where interruption is allowed is, frankly, artificial and stunted.