homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Parli Topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:33 am 

Home Schooled: No
I like to write Parli topics for tournaments and I have a couple coming up.
Coming up with Metaphor+Fact (is it Metafact or Metaphact?) resolutions can be relatively easy. But, coming up with a good scenario that is balanced can be challenging. I welcome any suggestions.
If used, you will get a favorable review and response crediting your effort. Tank U.

Post subject: Re: Parli Topics
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:28 pm 
JV the Epic

Home Schooled: Yes
You should steer clear of metaphor topics entirely. They are generally skewed to the aff and prevent the education that comes from clash. Your topics should include an actor (usually the USFG) and a direction. (should they pass legislation or increase/decrease something)

For example:

The USFG should end the use of weaponized drones.

The USFG should take action to curtail Boko Haram.

Germany should leave the Eurozone.

These topics ensure the debate will have a specific topic that neg teams can prepare for and aff teams have the ground to defend.

Last edited by crazydebater on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:28 am 

crazydebater wrote:
You should steer clear of metaphor topics entirely. They are generally skewed to the aff and prevent the education that comes from clash. Your topics should include an actor (usually the USFG) and a direction. (should they pass legislation or increase/decrease something)

For example:

The USFG should end the US of weaponized drones.

The USFG should take action to curtail the Boko Haram.

These topics ensure the debate will have a specific topic that neg teams can prepare for and aff teams have the ground to defend.

I'm not going to engage in an in-depth discussion here, but I just wanted to say this: under these strict topic rules, parli just becomes impromptu TP, which appears to seriously detract from the variety, and thus the benefits, of the format.

Just throwing that out there.

2012-2013: LD, 14th at Regionals
2013-2014: LD, 2nd at Nationals
2014-2015: LD, 1st at Regionals

https://contendacademy.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:57 am 
JV the Epic

mendicant2 wrote:
crazydebater wrote:

For example:

The USFG should end the US of weaponized drones.

The USFG should take action to curtail the Boko Haram.

I'm not going to engage in an in-depth discussion here, but I just wanted to say this: under these strict topic rules, parli just becomes impromptu TP, which appears to seriously detract from the variety, and thus the benefits, of the format.

Just throwing that out there.

This is false for a couple reasons.

1. TP debates 1 topic the entire year. Parli has the unique advantage of providing a wide breadth of knowledge rather than depth.

2. TP is a different format. (they have evidence and backside rebuttals)

3. Parli provides a unique advantage in its extemporaneous nature. That is not a fault of parli but a benefit.

Realistically, adding value and metaphor resolutions just causes Parli rounds to be messy and without clash.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:28 am 

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
crazydebater wrote:
You should steer clear of metaphor topics entirely.

+1

Also, if you want to debate at the university level at some point (and you should, it's fun), it might be useful to try for motions similar to those debated at the major collegiate tournaments. The site debate-motions.info has the topics for a ton of big international tournaments, and I particularly recommend looking at those from the World Debating Championship and the Oxford InterVarsity, as they always manage to come up with quite interesting motions that are also relatively balanced.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:24 am 

+2 against metaphors. Metaphorical resolutions are ok for IPDA where rounds are short and team cohesiveness is not a problem...but they just are not fun in parli. The use of framework arguments and Ks provide plenty of opportunities for more broad philosophical debates. When these philosophical debates happen within the proper structure it makes for a much cleaner and more educational round. For example, I debated "Obama should allow the construction of the Keystone pipeline" at a recent parli tournament. Aff ran a framework of value with a value of democracy (under the premise of veto=bad). We ran democracy=bad and talked about imminent domain being used for the good of the many to take property from the few...and our counter value was egalitarianism. This offers a much more constructive outlet for these broad philosophical debates...