homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:48 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Klondikes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:42 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Home Schooled: Yes
"What would you do...for a Klondike bar?"

Haha, no, not that kind of Klondike. :) The Klondike I'm referring to is the parliamentary debate kind - essentially, a policy case with a value. I've heard about Klondikes from some of my friends, and they sound very interesting.

I have a few questions about them.
How would you suggest running one?
Should Klondikes be introduced more into Stoa parli?
How would one respond to a Klondike if on the OPP?
Can OPPs run Klondike kounterplans I mean counterplans?
What about anti-value theory?

I look forward to the discussion. :)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Post subject: Re: Klondikes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:03 am 
is jealous

Home Schooled: Yes
ParadigmPWNS wrote:
"What would you do...for a Klondike bar?"

Haha, no, not that kind of Klondike. :) The Klondike I'm referring to is the parliamentary debate kind - essentially, a policy case with a value. I've heard about Klondikes from some of my friends, and they sound very interesting.

I have a few questions about them.
How would you suggest running one?
Should Klondikes be introduced more into Stoa parli?
How would one respond to a Klondike if on the OPP?
Can OPPs run Klondike kounterplans I mean counterplans?
What about anti-value theory?

I look forward to the discussion. :)

How would you suggest running one? I've never actually done Parli in a tournament, but I have debated Parli-style with a friend over the internet and ran something along these lines (without knowing what it was called, thanks for giving it a name.) and it seemed to work. The way I ran it was that I presented a regular value like you would with any LD rez, but created a plan that would promote that value. If you were to do it with this year's Stoa TP rez, you might give a value such as Prosperity and show how your plan (say, Estate Tax) helps Americans to be more prosperous. Almost like a criterion in a way. :)
Should Klondikes be introduced more into Stoa parli? I think they definitely could be run in Stoa Parli. I would likely do it if I did parli, which I might eventually.
How would one respond to a Klondike if on the OPP? On the OPP, I would respond like a would to any policy case with a criterion, nothing incredibly special. I wouldn't waste time on talking about how it doesn't fit with the format of the resolution. Frankly, I don't think judges would care all that much if it is or isn't. ;)
Can OPPs run Klondike kounterplans I mean counterplans? OPPs could probably run it if they wanted to, but I would probably only do it if the GOV ran a Klondike. Otherwise, it might get too confusing for the judge.
What about anti-value theory? I haven't had much experience running anti-values, so I'm not sure.