homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:26 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Do you want Parli to be an event at Concordia?
Yes 73%  73%  [ 11 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Not sure 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 15
 Post subject: Parli at Concordia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Home Schooled: Yes
Ive heard rumors that the tournament directors are planning on having Parli as an event at Concordia this year, and the website says "maybe we'll do Parli." are the rumors/teasers from the directors true? If they are running it, are they going to have a full 6 rounds without out rounds, 2-4 rounds which don't count (practice), or are they going to have 4-6 prelims + out rounds?

Also, the way Parli was run at the Northwest Qualifier up in Oregon was pretty poorly done: you had to give up ALL OF YOUR SPEECH EVENTS for only two rounds of Parli that didn't even count for anything. Talk about a raw deal! :x They had better not do that at Concordia.

Hopefully the TD's (tournament directors) or people armed with information could post the info here as it comes out.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Post subject: Re: Parli at Concordia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:53 pm 

Home Schooled: No
Do keep in mind that the tournament up here was more about debate than speech. We only had the limited prep speech events, so we treated parli as a fourth limited prep event. And for the most part, we aimed parli at people who wanted more debate, not less speech. The choice was either to run it at the same time as the speech rounds, or else run it at the same time as TP and LD. We made a choice, and I don't guess I agree that it was poorly done. You can't make everyone happy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:31 pm 
JV the Epic

DrSraderNCU wrote:
Do keep in mind that the tournament up here was more about debate than speech. We only had the limited prep speech events, so we treated parli as a fourth limited prep event. And for the most part, we aimed parli at people who wanted more debate, not less speech. The choice was either to run it at the same time as the speech rounds, or else run it at the same time as TP and LD. We made a choice, and I don't guess I agree that it was poorly done. You can't make everyone happy.

Also keep in mind this is a public forum where people have feelings.

I have heard rumors and even announcements about parli being at multiple tournaments in California, but alas, registration opened for San Diego and...no parli. :( Something tells me Concordia will be similar. California is too big and too busy to give as much thought to parli. Once CA starts getting left out of the competition for a couple years, the parents competitive instincts will kick in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:34 pm 

The Concordia registration site doesn't say anything about parli.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 pm 
Brenna's Bestest Bud

I highly doubt that there will be Parli at Concordia. It would take too much time and energy to add another debate event. My guess is that we would have to start the tournament at least a day early for Parli debaters, which will make parents totally burned out by the end of the tournament. More stress for parents = not a good idea. I have also heard from parents involved that Parli would be extremely hard to pull off.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:41 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

figuresk8er wrote:
The Concordia registration site doesn't say anything about parli.

"We hope to keep the costs the same but increase the number of participants, which may have us begin earlier in the day on Wednesday. We are considering adding Parliamentary Debate. Most details will be in place by early January, 2012, with registration opening in mid-January."

https://concordiachallenge.homeschooldebate.net

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:49 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

Re: everyone:

The best way to run Parli in my opinion is to run it during a speech pattern that doesn't have Extemp in it. Most speech rounds last for about 2 hours, so you have Parli rounds (which last 37 minutes max) included as a "speech event." people can still do most, if not all, of their speeches. For out rounds, if one breaks in both Parli and TP/LD then there can either be an extra day for parli out rounds or run Parli out rounds after TP/LD out rounds. You would still have your speech events, a full tournament, and you can still debate in TP and LD. I'm pretty sure there's another more effective way of running it but this is an idea I came up with.

California tourneys might still run Parli if they can figure out the logistics of it. Of course, Texas and the South are on fire for Parli and they've been running it pretty effectively. If Cali and the other states can get on board then it'll probably work itself out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:11 pm 
Doesn't have a title.

Parli can barely be squeezed into an IE pattern because prep plus speeches lasts about an hour per round.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:16 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

Halogen wrote:
Parli can barely be squeezed into an IE pattern because prep plus speeches lasts about an hour per round.

Yes, it is tight, but it can be done. Ex: Apol, Imp, Extemp, Parli are listed as the limited prep events. Apol and Extemp go in Pattern A (along with any other platforms/interp events), while Parli and Imp go in pattern B (again, along with any other speeches the tournament decided to run). That way, the limited prep event that takes the least amount of time (Imp) can be done before Parli, and you don't even have to worry about Apol + Extemp because they are in another pattern.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:51 am 

ParadigmPWNS wrote:
Also, the way Parli was run at the Northwest Qualifier up in Oregon was pretty poorly done: you had to give up ALL OF YOUR SPEECH EVENTS for only two rounds of Parli that didn't even count for anything. Talk about a raw deal! :x They had better not do that at Concordia.

People knew what they were doing. It was made clear that you couldn't do both speech (by the way, only limited prep was offered at the tournament, so it's not like people missed out on that many rounds) and parli. No one was cheated. Cool it down. Parli was run well at the tournament. It was a two day qualifier, and so didn't have time for a full 6 rounds of parli debate. Were you even at that tournament? I was. The team that ran it was very hard working, and everyone who I've heard from who did parli loved it. No one was cheated out of speeches or checkmarks.

ParadigmPWNS wrote:
Halogen wrote:

Yes, it is tight, but it can be done. Ex: Apol, Imp, Extemp, Parli are listed as the limited prep events. Apol and Extemp go in Pattern A (along with any other platforms/interp events), while Parli and Imp go in pattern B (again, along with any other speeches the tournament decided to run). That way, the limited prep event that takes the least amount of time (Imp) can be done before Parli, and you don't even have to worry about Apol + Extemp because they are in another pattern.

Except in that scenario, only three rounds of parli can be run in a traditional 3-round speech tournament, which bites your criticism of the West Coast Classic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:51 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

Well, it's official. Parli is on for Concordia! :D

Even though it's only 4 rounds, it's still very awesome that California is little by little squeezing Parli in to the mix. Regarding the previous posts about scheduling: Arkansas Diamond 2012 just beautifully executed a full 11-speech event, TP+LD AND Parli speechranks compatible tournament. It can be done. The model for including Parli in tournaments has been developed and tried, and it works. (empirical example, LOL)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:05 pm 
THE Cookie Monster!

I'm doing parli at Concordia and I have no idea what I'm doing. This will be so much fun.

Bakke/Bakke | TP <3 | 10-11
Bakke/Van Ness | TP <3 | 11-13
Sad Brenna | LD ew | 13-14
PHC Student | wow such college deb8 | 14&beyond

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:13 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

revgirl wrote:
I'm doing parli at Concordia and I have no idea what I'm doing. This will be so much fun.

Don't worry. Parli is amazing. You will have fun with it. (not sure if I detected sarcasm or not)

Heehee, maybe my partner and I will hit you. ;) I'll be sure to run a Trichotomy against your case if I'm OPP. LOL JK. Who's your partner?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:25 pm 
THE Cookie Monster!

ParadigmPWNS wrote:
revgirl wrote:

Don't worry. Parli is amazing. You will have fun with it. (not sure if I detected sarcasm or not)

Heehee, maybe my partner and I will hit you. ;) I'll be sure to run a Trichotomy against your case if I'm OPP. LOL JK. Who's your partner?
Oh, I'm very excited to do parli. I just have no idea what I'm doing [even though I've seen college parli], so maybe we'll fail. Maybe we won't.

Jacob [my TP partner] is my parli partner. Yours?

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:41 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

revgirl wrote:
ParadigmPWNS wrote:
revgirl wrote:

Oh, I'm very excited to do parli. I just have no idea what I'm doing [even though I've seen college parli], so maybe we'll fail. Maybe we won't.

Brandon Winchel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:13 pm 
THE Cookie Monster!

ParadigmPWNS wrote:
revgirl wrote:
ParadigmPWNS wrote:
revgirl wrote:

Brandon Winchel.
HAHA.

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:15 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

revgirl wrote:
ParadigmPWNS wrote:
revgirl wrote:
ParadigmPWNS wrote:
revgirl wrote:

Brandon Winchel.
HAHA.

What's so funny? :?:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:40 pm 
THE Cookie Monster!

ParadigmPWNS wrote:
revgirl wrote:
ParadigmPWNS wrote:
revgirl wrote:
ParadigmPWNS wrote:
revgirl wrote:

Brandon Winchel.
HAHA.

What's so funny? :?:
Just the thought of you two doing parli together. It's so fitting.

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:13 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

Ok, so the tourney directors have said that they will NOT be using two strikes AND won't allow the internet during prep time. Also, all of the rez picks will do with the State of the Union.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 pm 

No internet during prep time? What are they thinking?