homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:22 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Counterplan competition
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:32 am 
Doesn't have a title.

Home Schooled: Yes
I am the MG. When I hit a CP, the MO's answer to the MG's perm is typically that the CP is "competitive" through net benefits because it is better than the perm due to DAs that link to the plan but not to the CP.

What's up with that? If valid, it prevents gov from weighing advantages vs. disadvantages because opp uses the CP to non-unique the advantages. I articulate competition as follows:

"Gov's advocacy is a statement. A gov ballot is agreement with that statement. An opp ballot is agreement with the opposite of that statement, not agreement with whatever statement opp arbitrarily advocates. Because opp cannot access gov's advantages via any advocacy that contradicts gov's, an opp vote is a vote against the advantages. Vote opp only if the disadvantages outweigh the advantages."

In my experience, this is unpersuasive. Should I articulate it differently? Do I need to argue that this is fairer or more educational than letting opp use non-competitive CPs to non-unique gov's advantages? Should I concede that the CP non-uniques gov's advantages and attempt to perm in a way that de-links from the DAs?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:47 am 
JV the Epic

Halogen wrote:
I am the MG. When I hit a CP, the MO's answer to the MG's perm is typically that the CP is "competitive" through net benefits because it is better than the perm due to DAs that link to the plan but not to the CP.

What's up with that? If valid, it prevents gov from weighing advantages vs. disadvantages because opp uses the CP to non-unique the advantages. I articulate competition as follows:

"Gov's advocacy is a statement. A gov ballot is agreement with that statement. An opp ballot is agreement with the opposite of that statement, not agreement with whatever statement opp arbitrarily advocates. Because opp cannot access gov's advantages via any advocacy that contradicts gov's, an opp vote is a vote against the advantages. Vote neg only if the disadvantages outweigh the advantages."

In my experience, this is unpersuasive. Should I articulate it differently? Do I need to argue that this is fairer or more educational than letting opp use non-competitive CPs to non-unique gov's advantages? Should I concede that the CP non-uniques gov's advantages and attempt to perm in a way that de-links from the DAs?

Ok, Good question. The opp's job is to say that we should NOT do the plan. For what reason you should reject is up to the neg. If the neg had to always just oppose every word the gov said, it would just become a contradiction fest. This is why their are counter plans and Kriticks. So that the neg can grant part of the case but still oppose the plan. So even if the plan and counter plan are not mutually exclusive, as long as you can propose a better alternative to the plan and doing the plan will ruin that alternatives solvency, the CP is competitive. One thing you should do is run solvency presses along with a disad against the CP. You can write it CP specific or write some generic ones. For example: a consult bad DA. Then run conditionality bad. Now you have offense against the CP and if they try to kick it you have proven abuse of the CP bad cause you rad the disad against the CP.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:58 am 
Doesn't have a title.

I just remembered that the problem I had with specific CPs is that they actually did not non-unique the advantages because the advantages were linear. With that in mind, what you say about the perm ruining CP solvency makes perfect sense: if the plan and CP both link to a non-linear advantage, the perm ruins the solvency of the CP because the CP has nothing left to solve.

Competition through net benefits now makes sense to me. If the perm is worse than the CP alone, that is an opp vote even if the plan is better than the SQ. My answer to a non-competitive CP should be that the CP is as much of an improvement of the SQ as it is of the plan, and that the plan is as much of an improvement of the SQ as it is of the CP.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:56 pm 

The way you are phrasing it really hurts my head. I think you have it right in your last post, though.

If I'm running a CP, I want present a DA to be competitive (CP solves this "harm" of AFF plan). In addition, I either:
A. Solve the harms/advantages of AFF plan
B. Mitigate or outweigh [some] of the harms/advantages of AFF plan and solve the others [if any]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:23 pm 

Home Schooled: No
CP > (CP)+P = vote negative.
CP ≤ (CP)+P = vote affirmative.

Note: where CP is in parentheses, it represents any element(s) of the set of actions that constitute the counterplan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:37 pm 

DrSraderNCU wrote:
CP > (CP)+P = vote negative.
CP ≤ (CP)+P = vote affirmative.

Ahh... even simpler. :-)