homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:44 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: High School Prep Time
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:57 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Having now coached several highschool parli teams (including Peter Voell/Josiah McPeak, PITOC champs 2011), I am questioning the format just a little for its utility. Peter and Josiah aside, most high school students struggle with the 15 minutes of prep time and zero prep time between speeches.

Debaters struggling to quickly make positions and cases that have good logic do not seem to put forward good content under the prep time constraints. In college I'd be online or on the phone for at least 5 minutes of prep just collecting all kinds of facts, then mold it together quickly into some good positions. I think an extra 5 minutes for highschool fact finding would improve the depth of rounds.

At some upcoming parli highschool tournaments I am running, I'm toying with this idea for the format:
- 20 minutes + walking time for pre-round prep time
- 1 minute prep between each Constructive speech and 30 seconds prep for each rebuttal

The prep time between speeches allows students to cultivate the rhetorical skills that parli can teach. Planning out figures of speech like anaphoras and asyndetons takes just a few extra seconds for those who are not in the habit yet.

Anticipated Objections/Responses:

"But parli is all about the logic/time constraint" -- Enhancing the ability for students to search for good content, when their state of maturity means they likely don't know it off the top of their head, will be even more valuable.

"That means the round takes longer" -- Yeah

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:00 pm 
Easiest Person to Kill with a Witty Comeback

That's the first thing I thought about Parli. Only the best high school debaters could debate well without prep time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 pm 
Cupcake

Why not just split it into two tracks? Novice and experienced.

The only full working example I've seen of a highschool parli tournament was your Fun Tournament last season and I think nearly every team had little to no trouble with prep time and still engaged in fruitful, nearly full length debates.

I personally enjoy the limited prep time and think it cultivates a thinking on your feet approach that I seldom get in TP.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:59 pm 

20 min of prep is fine--a lot of NPDA tournaments do that.

Having prep between speeches defeats the purpose of parli.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:18 am 
Easiest Person to Kill with a Witty Comeback

Drew wrote:
I personally enjoy the limited prep time and think it cultivates a thinking on your feet approach that I seldom get in TP.
Justin Stacy wrote:
Only the best high school debaters could debate well without prep time.

Isaiah wrote:
Enhancing the ability for students to search for good content, when their state of maturity means they likely don't know it off the top of their head, will be even more valuable.

Actually, this is probably why the NCFCA doesn't have Parli.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:52 pm 
JV the Epic

First, there should be novice and open parli. Secondly, if you need a second, just give an overview. That is practically ten seconds of prep time. Overviews help debaters, opponents and judges to get oriented before the round. Is is perfectly ok to take a quick second to organize your flow. ;)

Novice Parli might need prep time though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:41 am 

At the tournaments in Texas I really didn't hear too many people complain about prep time. Most of the topics were at least partially understood before the prep time began.