homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:46 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:19 am 
Offline
Not wiggidy-whack; just the regular kind
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:04 am
Posts: 2132
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Howard Payne University; Brownwood, TX
If anyone would like to watch some rounds of collegiate Parli. Debate, please PM me and I will send you the online links. Stoa's Parli. will probably be drastically different than what is in these videos, but they might help give you a general idea of the style of debate and a Parli. round's structure.

Note: Y'all can try to Google or YouTube 'em, but it is my understanding that they are highly difficult to locate. Just PM me and I can hook you up.

Note #2: I'm still contemplating putting them up for public use. I'll keep you posted. :P

_________________
~Jake Asch.


"I forget the last time I felt brave/I just recall insecurity/Cuz it came down like a tidal wave/And sorrow swept over me/I was given grace and love/I was blind but now I can see/Cuz I found a new hope from above/And courage swept over me..."~Owl City[Tidal Wave]


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:13 am 
Offline
Order of Merlin, First Class
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:33 am
Posts: 1443
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Sunny San Diego(yes I'm rubbing it in)
I've watched a majority of the better Parli rounds so if folks want rounds on specific arguments, topics or styles eg, I wanna see Topicality ran like a NPDA kid, or whatsa kritik? Who does Politics link to cases? then I can post videos online of college rounds. Do realize however that while you may use the same gist of the argumentation, because your judges are very different then the judges in college, you can't copy and paste an SIU topicality and run it in rounds. You need to readjust it for STOA debate.

_________________
There are those of us with a sense of Humor, and we suffer for it. -Some Loser


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 1389
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Austin, TX
Here. I obtained permission for all videos below.

NCCFI nats (NOVICE) 2009 finals: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 209&hl=en#

NCCFI nats 2009 (VARSITY) prelim: (in my opinion, only the case is worth watching, the rest of the round is dumb--but you could strategize about what you would've done as OPP and where you should've asked POIs) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 993&hl=en#

NCCFI nats 2009 (NOVICE) semis: (this round is pretty good for what Stoa will likely be like) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 017&hl=en# (RFDs: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 637&hl=en#)

Example of what to avoid from NPDA nats (i.e. parli can make you be like this... guard against it well): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 646&hl=en#

A round that I am proud of... only b/c we had no idea what Maslov's heirarchy of needs was, asked the POI and it won the round for us: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 059&hl=en#

An okay NPDA nats round: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 622&hl=en#

What can happen with a weird metaphor rez. plus a trademark "capitalism is bad K" strategy... mainly a dumb debate ("mute the red phone" -- which I totally should've, but didn't get as a reference to Dr. Strangelove) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 988&hl=en# (also note the poor strategy in case construction: 5.5 minutes of information, .2 minutes of advantage... exactly the opposite of how it should be. Oh, and don't hold me to the seeming heresy :P There are some weird things about 9/11 but that doesn't mean I think the govt did it)

_________________
Upside Down Debate. The book that teaches you the deeper why of debate, from the ground up.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 1389
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Austin, TX
I found a couple more that I have.

Quads NPDA 2007 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 713&hl=en#

Watch this one. PHC intramural round, probably like what Stoa debate may look like. I happen to really like this one and you'll see some room to think about theory (Rez: Russia is the greatest threat to America, or something like that): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 425&hl=en#

A GOOD value debate (this house should value constructive engagement over isolation, NPDA nats 2007): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 928&hl=en#

A value rez (NPDA nats). Opp ran value debate bad and we hadn't hit that before. Good theory round to ponder how you might argue: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 991&hl=en#

METAPHOR rez (ground the fleet). Good example of how one might go both on and off case as an opp to metaphor: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 622&hl=en#

Not nats... unsure where this is: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 570&hl=en#

JV or novice at some tournament besides nats... not sure: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 654&hl=en#

Never watched (or been in) this one... but it's Kawika and Grace Lichlyter: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 184&hl=en#

_________________
Upside Down Debate. The book that teaches you the deeper why of debate, from the ground up.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:51 pm 
Offline
Not wiggidy-whack; just the regular kind
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:04 am
Posts: 2132
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Howard Payne University; Brownwood, TX
Okay... Isaiah posted pretty much almost every one I have links to, so... :P

_________________
~Jake Asch.


"I forget the last time I felt brave/I just recall insecurity/Cuz it came down like a tidal wave/And sorrow swept over me/I was given grace and love/I was blind but now I can see/Cuz I found a new hope from above/And courage swept over me..."~Owl City[Tidal Wave]


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:19 am
Posts: 744
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: University of Dallas, formerly Region 4
DramaticInterp wrote:
Okay... Isaiah posted pretty much almost every one I have links to, so... :P

Do you have any of yours and Charity's rounds?

_________________
Alex Macdonald

University of Dallas

Buy COG!


Openness is a value not a project


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 1389
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Austin, TX
Turumbar wrote:
DramaticInterp wrote:
Okay... Isaiah posted pretty much almost every one I have links to, so... :P

Do you have any of yours and Charity's rounds?


I can TELL you about one. I wanted to hear about robots and I didn't.

::cries::

:P

_________________
Upside Down Debate. The book that teaches you the deeper why of debate, from the ground up.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:40 pm 
Offline
The Great White Sharc
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:58 pm
Posts: 4769
Home Schooled: Yes
Did the resolution get sidestepped in novice finals too? Haha. The prep for that round was hilariously awesome. I never expected to ever use my Asimov knowledge in debate prep.

_________________
Marc Davis

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:55 am 
Offline
Not wiggidy-whack; just the regular kind
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:04 am
Posts: 2132
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Howard Payne University; Brownwood, TX
Isaiah wrote:
Turumbar wrote:
DramaticInterp wrote:
Okay... Isaiah posted pretty much almost every one I have links to, so... :P

Do you have any of yours and Charity's rounds?


I can TELL you about one. I wanted to hear about robots and I didn't.

::cries::

:P

Oh, gosh. :oops: Well. Um. Yes. Ah. Ew. Um.

Right.

Turumbar, we do not have any recorded rounds from last year. We hope to record and publicize some for this next semester.

_________________
~Jake Asch.


"I forget the last time I felt brave/I just recall insecurity/Cuz it came down like a tidal wave/And sorrow swept over me/I was given grace and love/I was blind but now I can see/Cuz I found a new hope from above/And courage swept over me..."~Owl City[Tidal Wave]


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:19 am
Posts: 744
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: University of Dallas, formerly Region 4
DramaticInterp wrote:
Isaiah wrote:
Turumbar wrote:
DramaticInterp wrote:
Okay... Isaiah posted pretty much almost every one I have links to, so... :P

Do you have any of yours and Charity's rounds?


I can TELL you about one. I wanted to hear about robots and I didn't.

::cries::

:P

Oh, gosh. :oops: Well. Um. Yes. Ah. Ew. Um.

Right.

Turumbar, we do not have any recorded rounds from last year. We hope to record and publicize some for this next semester.

Sadness. I want to see ya'll when you record some.

_________________
Alex Macdonald

University of Dallas

Buy COG!


Openness is a value not a project


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 2441
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Omaha, NE
Isaiah wrote:
Example of what to avoid from NPDA nats (i.e. parli can make you be like this... guard against it well): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 646&hl=en#

(Necromancy)
Serious? This is triple octas at nats? If she's speaking that slowly...why the heck is she gasping for air? And why is she even speaking that slowly in the first place? I couldn't watch more than a few minutes, but I've been in novice rounds that are waaaay higher quality.

I'll be around HSD for Christmas break. If you want any parli tips (I haven't not broken at a parli tourny yet) feel free to PM me.

_________________
-Bryan
Co-Founder of Olympus Forensics

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:15 am 
Offline
Order of Merlin, First Class
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:33 am
Posts: 1443
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Sunny San Diego(yes I'm rubbing it in)
LocutusofBorg wrote:
Isaiah wrote:
Example of what to avoid from NPDA nats (i.e. parli can make you be like this... guard against it well): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 646&hl=en#

(Necromancy)
Serious? This is triple octas at nats? If she's speaking that slowly...why the heck is she gasping for air? And why is she even speaking that slowly in the first place? I couldn't watch more than a few minutes, but I've been in novice rounds that are waaaay higher quality.

I'll be around HSD for Christmas break. If you want any parli tips (I haven't not broken at a parli tourny yet) feel free to PM me.

Parli rounds, at least a large portion of NPDA/NPTE are argument, not speech based. You may be able to speak better than her, but she is able to make smarter arguments than you. Don't hate. ;)

_________________
There are those of us with a sense of Humor, and we suffer for it. -Some Loser


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 2441
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Omaha, NE
db8rox wrote:
LocutusofBorg wrote:
Isaiah wrote:
Example of what to avoid from NPDA nats (i.e. parli can make you be like this... guard against it well): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 646&hl=en#

(Necromancy)
Serious? This is triple octas at nats? If she's speaking that slowly...why the heck is she gasping for air? And why is she even speaking that slowly in the first place? I couldn't watch more than a few minutes, but I've been in novice rounds that are waaaay higher quality.

I'll be around HSD for Christmas break. If you want any parli tips (I haven't not broken at a parli tourny yet) feel free to PM me.

Parli rounds, at least a large portion of NPDA/NPTE are argument, not speech based. You may be able to speak better than her, but she is able to make smarter arguments than you. Don't hate. ;)

Haha, I know that. But that doesn't mean basic speaking skills should be thrown out the window. If you're going that slow you'll get a lot more ink out if you don't gasp for breath. I can't say anything about her arguments, since i didn't watch the whole round.

_________________
-Bryan
Co-Founder of Olympus Forensics

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 1389
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Austin, TX
A part of my judging philosophy at NPDA tournaments has become "I am smart enough to work to listen to you, but I will give higher speaker points and much prefer if you employ speaking skills that make me WANT to listen to you and enjoy my time."

_________________
Upside Down Debate. The book that teaches you the deeper why of debate, from the ground up.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 186
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Gaborone, Botswana
Most former NCFCAers have competed in NPDA parli, but I would like to suggest that NPDA parli is not the league Stoa debaters shoud take their cues from. It's become overrun with absurd technical arguments and in many areas has become as fast as policy debate... without the content to actually justify the spread.

A much better league to get example videos from (though not necessarily to compete in... but that's another story) is the APDA. An excellent round is this semifinal from a few years ago between Yale and Johns Hopkins:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 282342839#

One of the best rounds I have ever seen is the Worlds final from last year in Turkey - contested by Oxford, Harvard, the London School of Economics, and the University of Sydney. It's in British Parliamentary format, which is a bit different, but it's worth watching anyway for a stunning example of what parliamentary debate can look like:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTYxNTE3NTY0.html

The final from this year's Worlds (won by Monash University in Australia) is also online now, but was not quite as impressive.


Alfred Snider (the rather bombastic head coach at the University of Vermont) maintains several websites with links to numerous videos. Here are his videos on the American Parliamentary format used by NPDA and APDA:

http://debate.uvm.edu/parlivid.html

_________________
Luke


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:58 pm 
Offline
JV the Epic

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:57 pm
Posts: 1219
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Somewhere between Irvine and Huntington Beach CA
Concordia LP vs A Pepperdine team I think.

http://vimeo.com/28788490

_________________
-JV


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 2441
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Omaha, NE
crazydebater wrote:
Concordia LP vs A Pepperdine team I think.

http://vimeo.com/28788490

I want that hat.

_________________
-Bryan
Co-Founder of Olympus Forensics

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:56 am 
Offline
JV the Epic

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:57 pm
Posts: 1219
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Somewhere between Irvine and Huntington Beach CA
LocutusofBorg wrote:
crazydebater wrote:
Concordia LP vs A Pepperdine team I think.

http://vimeo.com/28788490

I want that hat.


We can only wish we had Joe's swag.

_________________
-JV


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:49 pm
Posts: 1394
Home Schooled: Yes
http://www.parlidebate.com/ is a treasure trove of parli videos (mostly APDA and BP, with a few NPDA as well). Like Luke pointed out, APDA is much more similar stylistically to NCFCA/Stoa than NPDA. Overall, the focus is on argumentation, not technical procedurals or a sheer number of arguments. Also, it's conversation speed... I was actually told I talked too fast :P. Finally, since the opp usually doesn't know what the resolution is until the first government speaker opens his/her mouth (and there's no prep), there's a lot of emphasis on critical thinking and being fast on your feet -- something even policy debaters find they need ;)

_________________
Andrew Min
ahmin@princeton.edu
Arete Speech & Debate, NCFCA, Class of 2011


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:01 pm 
Offline
JV the Epic

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:57 pm
Posts: 1219
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Somewhere between Irvine and Huntington Beach CA
andrewmin wrote:
http://www.parlidebate.com/ is a treasure trove of parli videos (mostly APDA and BP, with a few NPDA as well). Like Luke pointed out, APDA is much more similar stylistically to NCFCA/Stoa than NPDA. Overall, the focus is on argumentation, not technical procedurals or a sheer number of arguments. Also, it's conversation speed... I was actually told I talked too fast :P. Finally, since the opp usually doesn't know what the resolution is until the first government speaker opens his/her mouth (and there's no prep), there's a lot of emphasis on critical thinking and being fast on your feet -- something even policy debaters find they need ;)



HEY :shock:

NPDA isn't focused on just speed and procedurals.

;)

_________________
-JV


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited