homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:23 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:36 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
GumboSoup wrote:
thatguy wrote:
GumboSoup wrote:
Question that's not really pivotal, but I thought I'd ask it:

Why does everyone want the good side to win? I mean, srsly, why not say "I'm a bad guy, all bad guys contact me" and everyone try to be on that side (openly) instead of always trying to be good and be on the good side when you know you and about half-a-dozen others are on the bad side?

Just sayin. ;)

Because most of the time the bad guys are out numbered by a somewhat wide margin.

but if everyone wanted to be bad, then they could all say "hey, I'm bad" and out smart the good guys....I mean srsly, peoples...

Yes... that was why P78 wasn't as good as it could've been-- no one was willing to come out and openly say: "Hey, I'm east. This guy is west. Vote him off."

The idea of a team vs. team mafia is too new, and the giant human trying to smash the ant is too engraved in the minds of players. (if you get the analogy.... :))

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:07 am 
Laugh, or I will kill you

Sharkfin wrote:
GumboSoup wrote:
thatguy wrote:
GumboSoup wrote:
Question that's not really pivotal, but I thought I'd ask it:

Why does everyone want the good side to win? I mean, srsly, why not say "I'm a bad guy, all bad guys contact me" and everyone try to be on that side (openly) instead of always trying to be good and be on the good side when you know you and about half-a-dozen others are on the bad side?

Just sayin. ;)

Because most of the time the bad guys are out numbered by a somewhat wide margin.

but if everyone wanted to be bad, then they could all say "hey, I'm bad" and out smart the good guys....I mean srsly, peoples...

Yes... that was why P78 wasn't as good as it could've been-- no one was willing to come out and openly say: "Hey, I'm east. This guy is west. Vote him off."

The idea of a team vs. team mafia is too new, and the giant human trying to smash the ant is too engraved in the minds of players. (if you get the analogy.... :))
Actually in my Cowboy's vs. Indian's mafia. The "team" thing worked out pretty well. I don't think anybody actually came and said it in the thread, but a lot of people were willing to admit who they were by PM.

;) <3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:13 pm 

^ problem is when you do that in regular games, peeps are usually lying....so :P

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:40 pm 

I have a query for the mafia gurus. How exactly do hidden mechanics work? Another HSDer and I are thinking of hosting one and I was more wondering how to set them up.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:53 pm 
His bark is worse than his scratch

Before I can (try) to answer your question, we first must understand what a "mechanic" is. Basically, a mechanic is when one thing happens that courses to occur. For example, voting is a mechanic. When so many people vote for someone, a mechanic causes that person to be executed.

A hidden mechanic is basically a mechanic that no one (but the creator of the mafia game and perhaps a few other people) knows about. An example of this kind of mechanic is the "cupid" mechanic. Basically, the cupid mechanic causes two peoples lives to be linked, so that when one dies, the other dies as well. This is a hidden mechanic because no one in the game, other then the creator of the game and the two individuals who are "cupid"ed together, should know about it.

Does this make any sense? :-)

Drew wrote:
Blanket statements are bad.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:01 pm 

Scratch wrote:
Before I can (try) to answer your question, we first must understand what a "mechanic" is. Basically, a mechanic is when one thing happens that courses to occur. For example, voting is a mechanic. When so many people vote for someone, a mechanic causes that person to be executed.

A hidden mechanic is basically a mechanic that no one (but the creator of the mafia game and perhaps a few other people) knows about. An example of this kind of mechanic is the "cupid" mechanic. Basically, the cupid mechanic causes two peoples lives to be linked, so that when one dies, the other dies as well. This is a hidden mechanic because no one in the game, other then the creator of the game and the two individuals who are "cupid"ed together, should know about it.

Does this make any sense? :-)

That is a very good explanation. Another example of a slightly more complicated hidden mechanic (we'll call it the zombie leader mechanic):
The zombie leader can convert people to his side. But, as long as the leader has zombies, he cannot be killed; all attacks are reflected onto the lower zombies. So if the leader is voted off, one of the zombies is inexplicably killed. Ditto with night kills.

Hope that makes sense :)

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:52 pm 
Is now cool

The most common is the 'love' mechanic, otherwise known as 'cupid'. In the mafia game I ran with HSU, we also had a 'knowledge' mechanic. There are so many you can think up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:05 am 

How did that work?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:16 am 
Is now cool

Gues you shoulda played the game. ;-)

Whenever a character used an investiagion power, couples with the knowledge mechanic would both figure out the results of one investiagion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:02 pm 

^ at least you found it now...and it wasn't like a year down the road and you're like what mafia games?!?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:57 am 

Another question: How do you get your pictures to look all nice and clean (and you can't see the pixels in them)? I went on Google Images and found a bunch of the pictures I wanted, but I when I paste them into Microsoft Word (for some reason I have to click "paste" twice :?: ), they appear the size of thumbnails. After I blow them up and crop them, they look pretty bad. I am using 400-600 x 400-600 pictures, so I don't think the original size is a problem. How do you guys do it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:09 pm 

Microsoft Word isn't the best way to do it...here's how I (and everyone else that I know of) do the pictures:

Find the image using Google images, click on it. At the top there should be a link that says "see full-size image" click on that. Assuming you're using a PC, right-click and save the picture to your computer. Then go to photobucket.com (or a similar site--facebook doesn't work) and upload the image. Then copy/paste the image code ( [img]code[/img] ) onto your HSD post. You can center it however you want, and voila--you have a nice, clean, non-pixelated image.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 pm 

Okay, but how do you crop it? Or do you just have to find pictures that you don't have to crop?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:53 pm 

Rubik2425 wrote:
Okay, but how do you crop it? Or do you just have to find pictures that you don't have to crop?

I just find pictures I don't have to crop. I'm sure there's a way, but I have no idea how.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:36 am 

Actually, I just copied/pasted mine right to the avatar block thingymugummy... thing. I Googled one of the proper size, and so I got it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:30 am 

Same here. :)

I was just talking with thehomeschooler, and he said that he probably wasn't going to be able to help all that much. He will still be there if I need him, but is there someone who would be willing to let me bounce my ideas off of them and maybe contribute a little? We decided that "The Princess Bride" was something we would enjoy doing more, so in case you didn't look at the thread with all the mafia games, that's what we're doing. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:37 am 
Doesn't have a title.

In the OP, LocutusofBorg mentioned the blacklist for cheaters. I also recommend a record of attendance for all players. One of the main problems faced by Mafia on HSD is that people don't always follow through with the games that they join or even create. There could be a sticky post in Mafia et. al. alphabetically listing each player and each host followed by the amount of deadlines met, the amount of deadlines missed, and the ratio of met deadlines to missed deadlines. This would help hosts decide which players to accept (when there is competition for seats) and it would help players decide which games to join.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:38 pm 
Doesn't have a title.

In answer to the rule against screenshots:

I didn't even use Photoshop, GIMP, or any image-editing software other than Paint, which I only used to paste the screenshot and save as PNG.

Not that I encourage breaking the rule, though. :-P This is just to discourage people from trusting screenshots in the event that someone cheats. Follow the rules, but don't end a game just because someone uses a screenshot. It could easily be fabricated.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:19 am 
Doesn't have a title.

You people are slow at starting these games.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:08 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
Halogen wrote:
You people are slow at starting these games.

This is true.

Workingongettingthroughthelist.