homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:13 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:48 am 
JV the Epic

Home Schooled: Yes
The game I am running now is so much fun I have decided to host another a couple months from now. The theme shall be decided probably by vote. It will either be Inheritance series themed (Better known as Eragon) Or matrix themed (I am not sure if somebody already did one of those)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:46 am 
I know not this "leverage" of which you speak.

I started the Sci-Fi mafia signups thread...but I can't edit my post.

How does this work? Do the mods givem me the ability to edit my posts?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:51 am 
THE Cookie Monster!

I gave you your abilities.

Bakke/Bakke | TP <3 | 10-11
Bakke/Van Ness | TP <3 | 11-13
Sad Brenna | LD ew | 13-14
PHC Student | wow such college deb8 | 14&beyond

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 pm 

Alright, as far as our mafia game goes, I'm not sure when our turn will be.

As long as its not conflicting with Nationals, I think we will be fine.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:07 pm 

Hopefully my mafia game won't last two weeks. But if it does, I need a co-host that is not already in the game who will be able to run it during nationals.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:18 pm 
titles are too mainstream.

Mr Glasses wrote:
Hopefully my mafia game won't last two weeks. But if it does, I need a co-host that is not already in the game who will be able to run it during nationals.

Why don't you just postpone it during nats? I mean...quite a few of the players will be gone then, right?

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:37 pm 

Dr_Pepper wrote:
Mr Glasses wrote:

Why don't you just postpone it during nats? I mean...quite a few of the players will be gone then, right?

True. And it is unlikely that will even go until nats. So that's probably the best option.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:33 pm 
Ok, maybe not the ONLY homeschooler.

Hey, I think Rubik2425 and I may do a Zombie Apocalypse Mafia sometime in the very far future. We haven't decided yet, but we're just thinking about it. We also may need a third host who's really experienced at HSD Mafia, because I'm very uncreative and Rubik2425 doesn't know much about zombies... ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:37 pm 

I can write somewhat though. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:03 am 
Okay, maybe a *little* more important than Caleb...

I still hope to run my game in August. If anyone is willing to co-host a very creative mafia game, i.e., help develop some of the ideas I have, please let me know. I think I have some pretty good ideas. :) ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:48 am 
Doesn't have a title.

I'd like to start a game of Mafia vs. Werewolves. Its rule system is complex by the standard of the card game played at parties, but simple by HSD's standard. Besides "mafia vs. Werewolves," it has no identifiable theme, and narration is kept to a minimum. This is more of a strategy game than a fantasy game.

I'm currently ready to begin Mafia vs. Werewolves.

How Mafia vs. Werewolves Works
Roles

Mafia's team

2 Mafiosi. Before the first actions of the game take place, each learns the other's (and the Spy's) identity. Each night, together, they decide on 1 person to kill. If no Mafiosi decide whom to kill, then a victim is randomly chosen from all players (including Mafiosi). If only one Mafioso makes a decision, then that Mafioso's victim is killed. If the Mafiosi do not agree on a victim by dawn, then a victim is randomly chosen from the mafia's choices. At dawn, the victim is announced and eliminated from the game (unless protected).

1 Spy. Before the first actions of the game take place, the Spy learns the Mafia's identities. Each night, the Spy investigates one player. At dawn, the Spy and the Mafiosi learn whether the investigated player is a Villager.

Werewolves' team

2 Werewolves. Before the first actions of the game take place, each learns the other's (and the Sorceror's) identity. Each night, together, they decide on 1 person to kill. If no Werewolves decide whom to kill, then a victim is randomly chosen from all players (including Werewolves). If only one Werewolf makes a decision, then that Werewolf's victim is killed. If the Werewolves do not agree on a victim by dawn, then a victim is randomly chosen from the Werewolves' choices. At dawn, the victim is announced and eliminated from the game (unless protected).

1 Sorceror. Before the first actions of the game take place, the Sorceror learns the Werewolves' identities. Each night, the Sorceror investigates one player. At dawn, the Sorceror and the Werewolves learn whether the investigated player is a Villager.

Villagers' team

1 Detective. Each night, the Detective investigates one player. At dawn, the Detective learns whether the investigated player is a Mafioso.

1 Seer. Each night, the Seer investigates one player. At dawn, the Seer learns whether the investigated player is a Werewolf.

1 Bodyguard. Each night, the Bodyguard protects one player (other than him or herself) from the Mafia. At dawn, the protected player is not announced and cannot be killed by the Mafia. Instead, it is announced that an unknown player has been protected by the Bodyguard.

1 Wolfsbane. Each night, the Wolfsbane protects one player (other than him or herself) from the Werewolves. At dawn, the protected player is not announced and cannot be killed by the Werewolves. Instead, it is announced that an unknown player has been protected by the Wolfsbane. (I know that wolfsbane [lowercase w] is a plant, not a person, but bear with me. Wolfsbane [capital W] a person for our purposes. Think of Wolfsbane as an apothecary giving away temporary wolfsbane each night.)

10 Villagers. The villagers have no abilities except for voting during the day.

Note that each player has a 50% chance of being assigned a special power, even though the Mafiosi and Werewolves are a small minority.

Procedure

Day/night cycle. Each day and each night lasts 24 hours. Dawn and dusk are 12:00 pm EST.

Daytime voting. Every day, each player nominates two players for execution. One nomination must be PMed to the host; the other must be posted publicly on the Mafia vs. Werewolves thread. Each vote may be revised indefinitely until dusk by sending a new PM or by making a new post in the Mafia vs. Werewolves thread. Editing a PM or post does nothing. At dusk, the host privately tallies the nominations in a single pool and publicly announces the execution (and subsequent elimination from the game) of the two players with the most nominations. If three or more players tie for the most nominations, then two of them are randomly executed. However, the identity is still announced of everyone who ties for the most nominations.

Nighttime actions. Each player with a nighttime action PMs the host with this action by dawn.

Timekeeping. As stated elsewhere, an action may be revised indefinitely until its deadline. Edits to posts and PMs are not counted; only new PMs and posts may be used to revise actions. Anything that the forum's software clock registers as posted at or after 12:00 pm EST is ignored. The host cannot practically make announcements at exactly 12:00 pm EST, but announcements should generally be expected by 1:00 pm EST of the same day (unless the host asks beforehand that everyone expect a delay).

Communication. At any time, any player may communicate anything to any other player via almost any means -- PMs, public posts, emails, instant messages, etc. There are only two rules governing communication: do not hack anyone's account; do not physically show another player a computer screen with a PM not sent to that player. Otherwise, there is only the following guideline:

There is no such thing as non-official proof. The only "proof" in this game is a PM or post from the host. Screenshots can be easily fabricated and lies can be easily made. Mafia is, after all, a game built upon strategic lying, so all levels honesty and deceit are equally legitimate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:13 am 
Doesn't have a title.

P.S. (since it turns out that you need privileges to edit your own post in Mafia et. al. -- silly me) nevermind what I said about editing posts. The rule about editing PMs still applies, though.

I'm also considering modifying Mafia vs. Werewolves to keep dead players in the game. Basically, this would entail that nobody knows who dies on any given day or night. Players don't even learn of their own deaths. They would have to try to deduce who is dead and who is alive. For example, if the Bodyguard PMs me to protect a player, and that player is killed on the same night, then the Bodyguard knows that he or she is dead. If a dead Seer PMs me to investigate someone, then I'd have to reply with something like "You cannot investigate this person because you are dead."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:52 am 

^^Added to the list.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:10 pm 

I would like to run a game it is a choice consequence game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:15 pm 
His bark is worse than his scratch

I have plans to run a mafia game sometime in the distant future. As the list currently extents to the distant future, I figured I might as well get on it. ;-)

Drew wrote:
Blanket statements are bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:48 pm 

A majority of pseudomods have decided to lock this thread for now, since any games announced now will probably take place in 2011. It will be re-opened at some point.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:41 am 
Okay, maybe a *little* more important than Caleb...

Unfortunately, I and Scratch (who had been helping me) have to postpone our game since I've been too busy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:07 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
Just so everyone knows: I am currently checking to see who/when the next game will start. Sit tight and try not to spam too much. ;)

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26