homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:03 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Sorry for taking so long(although it did get me two more players), I still have some finishing touches to do that were, at least partly, based on how many players I would get. Also I'm a procrastinator. Sorry. But I'm almost done, so your waiting is almost at an end. I should be done in a day or two. Maybe three if my computer access is limited(which I doubt).

I have no life and Nuna is the kindest.
Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:18 am 

Once again, sorry for the wait, but I've run into a wall. So I figured I'd ask my players what they think. Here's the situation: I've realized that if some teams are combinations of two(eg: Gummy Bear being a combination of Gummy and Bear), but some are unique(like how no two teams combined can make Gummy), as was my intent, the game would be unbalanced, because some teams would have a small chance of someone just popping into their team, but others wouldn't. There are two solutions to this problem.
1. I design the names in such a way that everyone has that chance. It's worth noting that this would be difficult and would probably take me longer.
2. I do not allow for the possibility of someone popping into a team by combination converts, and instead, make a new team for each one.
I would pick option 2, but I figured that if the players wanted the other one, I may as well change it for you guys. I'm not setting up another poll, just post or PM me or something. Once again, sorry for making you wait, and sure I'm at least almost as impatient for this to start as you.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:17 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Option 2 sounds best to me.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:27 pm 

Agreed. Option 2.

Beckman/Hopkins 2015-2016
LD 2016-2017
Ellerslie Discipleship Training Summer 2017
http://www.ellerslie.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:16 am 

Well, it's unanimous then. Option two it is! I once again sincerely apologize for the long wait. The Beginning Post will be up shortly.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:27 am 

The Leaders had been planning this for far too long. But now they'd done it. The dumbest and most pliable members of each cult had been taken to a room. The representatives were:
anorton - Gummy Cult
brando.2000 - Bear Cult
sons_of_thunder - Ominous Cult
NerdRipper7 - Lizard Cult
The Ginga Ninja - Shadow Cult
Evan - Purple Cult (not revenge for that time I was a princess, nope, not at all...) (It's actually not)
Johnnyw256 - Anime Cult
SuperK1 - Illuminati
The Invisible Hand - Military Cult
Effervescent - Troll Cult
jonah.a.barnes - Alchemist Cult
Hammy - Space Cult
Cyberknight - The Royal Order of the Holy Mackerel
The leaders were watching through a one-way mirror. "Soon, my brethren... Soon..." Said a strangely ominous voice. "Your brothers aren't even here, Clyde." Said a strangely reptilian voice. It sounded almost like one of those lizard themed villains from movies. "Yeah, and what's even coming soon? You can't be talking about finding out which cult wins. That'll take forever!" Said a strangely purple voice. "And yet it is much closer than it has ever been..." Said the ominous voice. The Purple voice piped up again. "Yeah, that's true about everything that hasn't happened yet. That doesn't-" "Oh, don't be too hard on him. He has to try to be ominous, even when there's really no reason to be ominous." said a voice that sounded oddly like a talking triangle. They talked about this for a while, then got bored and stopped talking, and started watching.

Night One has begun. Please send in the target for your convert via PM, with the subject "N1 Convert, [Cult name here]". If you have a different subject, it's fine, this will just make things easier for me. N1 ends when everyone has sent in their actions, or after 3 days/whenever I get the chance.

“A story has no beginning or end: arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead.”
― Graham Greene, The End of the Affair

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:49 am 

Oh, yeah, I should probably state my philosophy on conversion/playing to win. Basically, you should always be trying to make whatever team you're on win. Even if you think another team is going to win, you should never want to be converted. Always play for your current team, even if that means you personally lose. Got it?

EDIT: Good.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:59 am 

There are a few people who haven't sent in their actions yet, but it's been more than 3 days, so I'm waiting for clarification on a couple things, then I'll update. Probably sometime tomorrow.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:54 am 

Still waiting for one action, but I sent a PM yesterday and it still isn't picked up. I'll send update PMs now.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:37 am 

The representatives chatted amongst themselves, miraculous changes of heart happening left and right. Unfortunately, the leaders couldn't hear any of it. "I told you we should have gotten Tim to put in the bug." "Oh, be quiet. I'll just do it myself and spare any viewers from the painful writing." So Tom snuck into the room, planted the bug, and snuck out. The only one who noticed was the Ominous representative, but everything he said was so shrouded in mystery that no one could understand him.

Night Two has begun. Send in your actions the same way you did the first night.

Three new cults have formed!

I'm gonna clarify a few things, just to make sure.
1. You may choose not to convert anyone. I wouldn't recommend it, but you may if you want to.
2. Everyone who converts someone is told either that it was successful, or that it was unsuccessful. If it was successful, then that person is on the same team you were before the update(whether or not you're still on this team afterward). If it was unsuccessful, that means you were one of multiple people who tried to convert the same person, and that person has now founded their own combination cult.
3. If you were converted, I told you about it. If you were not told whether or now you were converted, that means you weren't.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:19 am 

I hate to still be working things out, but should I tell you guys when a cult is eliminated?

Also, someone asked if you could convert yourself. You can. It would have no effect unless someone else also converted you, in which case you'd become a combination of yours and theirs.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:42 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Mr. E. wrote:
I hate to still be working things out, but should I tell you guys when a cult is eliminated?

Yes. It's important for us to know for game balance.

Quote:
Also, someone asked if you could convert yourself. You can. It would have no effect unless someone else also converted you, in which case you'd become a combination of yours and theirs.

Hmmm. Intriguing.

Also, could my team members contact me? I haven't heard from you at all yet. :?

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:49 am 

All right, the cults that have been eliminated are Gummy Cult, Ominous Cult, Purple Cult, and Anime Cult.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:28 am 

IDEA!
I'm worried that we'll get way too many combination cult names (I might as well out myself as one of the three people who founded a new cult, and I already have a 3-cult name).

So eg my cult is "Anime Purple Holy Order of Mackerel" (it isn't, but w/e). Because Anime and Purple were both eliminated, can they also be eliminated from all the combined cult names? and that way we don't get too many combination names and it gives people incentives to cooperate with others.

idk. An idea ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:44 am 

So Anime Purple Holy Mackerel, Anime, and Purple are eliminated, you'd just be in Holy Mackerel. Are you suggesting that you would join that Cult since it's your name?
Johnnyw256 wrote:
that way we don't get too many combination names and it gives people incentives to cooperate with others.

Getting a bunch of long, convoluted, wacky combinations was kind of the point of making them words instead of colors. I thought it would be amusing to have someone in The Royal Order of the Space Bears, and things like that. And I don't see how it gives an incentive to work with others. Could you explain in a little more detail?

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:57 am 

Mr. E. wrote:
So Anime Purple Holy Mackerel, Anime, and Purple are eliminated, you'd just be in Holy Mackerel. Are you suggesting that you would join that Cult since it's your name?

Basically, yeah. All the names that are eliminated.
Mr. E. wrote:
And I don't see how it gives an incentive to work with others. Could you explain in a little more detail?

I (think) it might encourage people to try to work with others who share names. So new cults might have to work with the people who converted them if those people are still in their cult. But it might not actually work like that. And also...

Mr. E. wrote:
Getting a bunch of long, convoluted, wacky combinations was kind of the point

...I didn't really realize that was the point and I do appreciate the wacky combinations :lol: So I guess I don't care either way :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:16 am 

Johnnyw256 wrote:
Mr. E. wrote:
And I don't see how it gives an incentive to work with others. Could you explain in a little more detail?

I (think) it might encourage people to try to work with others who share names. So new cults might have to work with the people who converted them if those people are still in their cult. But it might not actually work like that.

But I just realized: Remember how I mentioned earlier that you're always supposed to play for the team you're currently on? Well, this plan would make it impossible for any combination to win. So we can't really do that. Good idea though.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:34 am 

I'm changing the day lengths. Sort of. Not that there were any to begin with. But it's now been at least three days, and 6 of you have not sent in your actions. So my new policy is that after three days, I will PM anyone who still hasn't done anything, and give them 24 hours to send in their actions before I move on. So I'm gonna go send some PMs now. See ya in 24 hours(as if I had any intention of being more specific than "tomorrow night")!

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:18 am 

This has been a very confusing phase, for a multitude of reasons. I'm extending it a day, to sort things out. I apologize for the delay.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:29 am 

I reeealy wish I could end the phase now, but I don't really have time to do all the PM stuff tonight. Probably tomorrow night(although at this point it seems like circumstances are determined to keep me from updating).

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next