homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:47 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
 Post subject: Re: Classic Mafia 1
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:57 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
*Is not open to trades*

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:40 am 

Imma be out of town this tomorrow through Friday-Saturday so, pending any suspects, my vote for the next day phase is for Donald Trump.

2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:23 am 

Quote:
my vote for the next day phase is for Donald Trump

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:44 pm 

Effervescent wrote:
... I forgot how boring classic mafia is when you're just a townie. I knew there was a reason I preferred our complicated versions :P

But it'll probably be good practice!

...Sounds suspicious to me. Anyone else?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:12 pm 

SuperK1 wrote:
Effervescent wrote:
... I forgot how boring classic mafia is when you're just a townie. I knew there was a reason I preferred our complicated versions :P

I wouldn't read too much into it… she's probably just saying that for fun. We really have no reason to suspect she's either a townsperson or a mafia.

@Hammy: When was that day period supposed to start again?

Beckman/Hopkins 2015-2016
LD 2016-2017
Ellerslie Discipleship Training Summer 2017
http://www.ellerslie.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:17 pm 

Okay. I'm just gonna be stating my opinions on people's posts for a while now, so yeah. At least until someone dies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:38 pm 

Also, just a heads-up. I won't be here for tomorrow (Friday) through Sunday.

LD 2016-2017

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:11 pm 

OH NOES WE ARE A DAY LATE :lol: :lol:

SuperK1 wrote:
Effervescent wrote:

Eh. I'm in agreement with sons_of_thunder. But please continue to analyze posts!

And... well I'm holding off on questions until the day phase really does start. So. You have that to look forward to :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:57 pm 

Sorry, I've been at Regionals prep. I'll have it out tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:44 am 

Cyberknight died. He was not a mafia.

Day begins and ends Wednesday night. (note: all phases after this will be one day long)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:13 am 

Is there really any strategy involved in this version? It seems to be so random. Like, in a real physical game you would guess by faint movements, miscues by the moderator, or facial expressions, but there is nothing here for that. It seems like this is an easier way for Mafia to win. Pretty much whoever jumps out first as an accuser is almost volunteering information that they are either Mafia or Sheriff.

2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:37 am 

Um... It seems like our best bet is to vote randomly. Anyone got any objections? I don't really know if that'd be a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:43 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Voice of Reason wrote:
Is there really any strategy involved in this version? It seems to be so random. Like, in a real physical game you would guess by faint movements, miscues by the moderator, or facial expressions, but there is nothing here for that. It seems like this is an easier way for Mafia to win. Pretty much whoever jumps out first as an accuser is almost volunteering information that they are either Mafia or Sheriff.

Not in this game, and not claiming to be an expert, but having played hundreds of classic mafia setups on epicmafia, there is a method to the madness. Maf often claims doctor or sheriff (sheriff being more likely), leaving two sheriff claims to lynch between. Also, it's hard to explain without an example, but basically there's mistakes village or maf can make just as easily here compared to a real game.

Basically, while there's almost nothing to go on in the sense of physical maftells, there's plenty of ways to find out who's good and who's not online. You just have to look harder.

Also, a piece of advice: it's best to wait for investigates to out themselves and reveal results before voting. If a townie dies N1, it's generally a good idea to vote no one if no evils turn up on investigates. ItIf nobody dies N1 (rare but just happened in the game I'm in), village has more leeway and can vote for any suspicious person, regardless of investigate results. Obviously, if investigate digs up an evil, you know what to do. :P And it's also a good idea to no-vote if investigate does not out themselves.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:03 am 

^What Evan said. Strategy is based on how people behave, what they say, who they vote for, etc. Honestly this is the only version of mafia based purely on strategy.

Altho random votes *are* a good way to start D1. They cause discussion and can help find mafia. The actual lynch shouldn't be random, tho.

sons_of_thunder (cuz random number generator :P )
Also, I said I thought it was a good idea, so I shall be doing it. IIWAC I investigated marinadelayne and received a result of good.
Final thought on speculation: Cyberknight was probably definitely not the doctor. Any self-respecting doctor protects themself N1, so I'm pretty confident the doctor is still alive. If he was the sheriff, however, we're in trouble. Annnd that reminds me of a question.

@Hammy: If only the doctor and one mafia are alive at the end of the game, who wins?

Aight on to questions for people.
@SuperK: You thought Eff was sketchy. Do you think Cyberknight's death makes her more or less sketchy?
@Eff: What do you think about SuperK's accusations?
@Voice of Reason: Who do you think might have reason to kill Cyberknight?
@Everyone: (a) I'd appreciate it if you all did IIWAC :)
(b) I doubt many people have been having PM conversations, but if you have (specifically with Cyberknight), plz share
(c) Under what circumstances should the sheriff reveal his or her identity?
(d) Under what circumstances should the doctor reveal his or her identity?
(e) Do you think we should no lynch today, and if so, why?

And finally I have regionals this week so my activity will drop come Wednesday :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:17 am 

Oh one more thing: Lynching nobody may seem appealing, but (especially given the numbers of this game) it's not a good idea.

We're at 5-2 right now. A mislynch puts us at 4-2, the mafia kill (assuming no doctor intervention) puts us at 3-2. At that point, we must lynch a mafia or else we lose.
If we lynch nobody, we enter the night at 5-2, the mafia kill (once again, assuming no doctor intervention) puts us at 4-2. Once again, we must lynch a mafia or else we lose (barring doctor intervention, of course).

The second situation does have some advantages; assuming we get the lynch right, it buys us a little more time. And of course the sheriff and doctor have more chances to intervene. However, what we lose from lynching nobody is information. In a game with only one investigative role, information is incredibly valuable. We might be able to lynch nobody on D2, but on D1, it's a suicidal move.

all of the above is IMO but also garnered from reading far too many some mafia strategy guides and games on other forums.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:43 pm 

I'll put an answer to Johnny256's questions, a defense to the random vote, a IIWAC (Can someone tell me what this stands for?) and a random vote of my own (I'm assuming this is the point of all this.)

a) Okay. IIWAC I investigated Voice of Reason and received a result of good.
b) Nope, sorry.
c) If he/she receives a result of evil. That will allow us to see about counter-claims, and test out their identity. Also if someone else claims sheriff.
d) Never. There's no point. Maybe if they're going to be lynched, or if someone else claims doctor… but other than that, I don't think so.
e) I think the reasons you laid out are solid, although I don't see how any information can be gleaned at all that will allow us to make even a semi-accurate lynch. But I've never done this before, so I suppose I have a lot to learn. :)

Defense: Three reasons:
A. There is no evidence against me right now. As far as I know, no one has seen my RPM (I've seen it, in case anyone's wondering after that statement :D ), I haven't claimed any roles, and I haven't been involved in any PM conversations. That could make me suspicious, I suppose, but I don't really know. The only thing it proves, though, is that it points to nothing.
B. The only posts I have made on the thread have been related to keeping poorly-made accusations from being uncontested, and to obtain information about mafia in general. Again, no suspicion.
C. It's a random number generator that selected me, and there are no warrants. ;)
I hope that doesn't make me suspicious.

Random vote: Effervescent (Roll of the dice)

LD 2016-2017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:47 pm 

Voice of Reason wrote:

Classic Mafia trims out the fat of the other mafia games. Instead of hiding guilt in walls of text, every single word or absence of a word is relevant in the psychology.

Johnnyw256 wrote:
@Hammy: If only the doctor and one mafia are alive at the end of the game, who wins?

That's a maf win.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:57 pm 

I think that sons_of_thunder's response seems very towny. It wasn't a real vote, but I shall unvote sons_of_thunder anyways.

Quote:
IIWAC (Can someone tell me what this stands for?)

If I was a cop. And thank you for posting one :)
I generally agree with your responses to c and d; I also think the sheriff and doctor should claim if they're close to being lynched and town can no longer afford a mislynch. They're sorta the easy roles to find and think about.

New random vote: SuperK1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:10 pm 

Johnnyw256 wrote:
Quote:
IIWAC (Can someone tell me what this stands for?)

If I was a cop. And thank you for posting one :)

I just think the logic pans out.

LD 2016-2017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:37 pm 

IIWAC my baby boy Brett Brett was good. Though I don't really see the point of these.

Hammy wrote:
Also, Cashley died in a hole. I don't know why you keep trusting him. I mean sure he's super good at mafia and knows exactly what he's doing, but I feel like maybe some game you would just not trust him. :P Props to you Cashley, always making my games exciting.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next