homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:34 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
@Hammy: when one mafia member tells everyone else the identity of all the other mafia members, I think a convert is ok.

And I have no problem with the phase ending tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:57 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Johnny's right. Normally, I'd be against converts, but IMO it was needed this game to prevent it from being boring and ending super early. Gabe's put a lot of work into running this and I'd hate to see all his effort get wasted like that. Now the game is intriguing and at least somewhat palatable from a balance perspective.

Also I'll jump aboard the ending the phase tonight club, since I got in my actions.

(Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to say that since I'm not maf and don't have any night actions. inb4 Johnny jumps all over me XD /s)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:15 pm 

The Avengers knew the only way to save earth was to stop the Hydra sleeper agent in their company. "It's Agent Hill!" said Tony Stark. Before anyone could stop him or ask what he was doing, he stretched out his arm, and his laser unfolded. "I can only use it once...I know what I've got to do."

Evan has died. He was evil.

Good has won the game. :)

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:31 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

Ah well, I tried. Was I really that obvious? ;P How did I die? Redirect? GN was dead, and I was contemplating withholding my kill that night, so...

Anyway, at least I maintained my perfect no-lynch record in mafia games, and ruined the good team's streak of perfect lynches :lol: I am slightly salty because I always seem to get converted to a losing maf team, so while I technically lost the game, I feel like I won in spirit with all the work I and my good teammates did earlier on in the game. The seeds I sowed as Agent Hill ended up with me reaping my demise as the evil convert. And that's ok. :D

Good game Cyberknight! Thanks for running it! You did all you could to make sure it wasn't a boring slaughter, and for that I am grateful.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:36 pm 

LOL yeah. Unfortunately, after Superk1 gave away his fake RPM, there wasn't a lot Mafia could do. I also feel bad for goofing up and giving away Effervescent on the first night (though I think I covered it pretty well).

Evan came pretty darn close to making a comeback though. The night after he was converted, evil was super close to taking out Superstars and Johnnyw256. Hammy literally saved the game. If he hadn't used his doubling power, both those players would be dead.

Evan also almost came back last night. If Jonah hadn't used his laser, Johnny would be dead. That's how you died Evan, Jonah had a one-time night kill.

The most useless player award goes to Mr. Glasses, who never used any of his powers. :P Jonah would come in second place, except he ended up winning the game for good.

Interesting facts: If Effervescent had had her scepter for one more night, she'd have gotten the convert. Also, if Thor had given his hammer to the Vision, he would have gotten an extra power.

Anyway, good game guys! I wish it had been more close, but I think that's more because of flukes that happened in the game than any misbalance of powers. Lemme know if anything was unbalanced though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:07 pm 

That was a great first game, thanks Cyberknight/Gabe, can't wait for the next one. As you all know by now I was indeed Jane Foster I had a one time transport and was one of the most minor characters. Some may be wondering why I faked a Heimdall RPM. Love to hear y'alls thoughts on that strategy.

Here are my reasons
First things first this was my first game and so I naturally wanted to see how convincing of a fake I could make, I think it worked quite well but even more than that there were three main reasons I faked it
1: I thought good people would be more willing to confide in me if they thought I had an investigate.
2: I thought evil would be more likely to target me with night-kills thereby giving characters with actual powers a chance to survive and fulfill their more important roles.
3: I was going to San Diego and dying really didn't hurt me bc I could then focus on the tournament.

Any thoughts on this strategy or helpful advice for the next game?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:14 pm 

Great game everyone! Thanks for putting it together Cyberknight! I killed you Evan... :twisted:

2014-2015 | Barnes/Spence
2015-2016 | Amedick/Barnes (2.0)
2016-2017 | Amedick/Barnes
2017-2018 | Amedick/Barnes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:43 pm 

Yayyy, my side wins!

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:11 pm 

Yes, thank you Cyberknight! And yeah - it was a little unfair for mafia that SuperK gave away all their identities. But I think you did a really good job covering for that and it ended up being pretty close-ish anyways. That was a fun game :)

And thank you, Jonah, for using that kill!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:13 pm 

Hey, I was tired. Plus I only actually knew about two of the evil people. No idea marina was evil.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:14 pm 

Not to mention that since nothing I said was valid, I thought you'd think that everyone I was talking about was good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:46 pm 

Good game, guys.

On the issue of converts, I don't think they break the game, tbh. I think Gabe was trying to make things interesting again, and it forced you guys to think through one last puzzle (figuring out Evan was the last maf).

I think Noah's claim of Heimdall was brilliant. Johnny did fabulous, as usual. Sorry again, Evan. You gave it your best shot XD We had to convert someone. :)

Also, this ruins my win-streak. I think I had around 10 games in a row. XP ugh. </3 oh well. Time to start a new one.

We need to introduce some new rules to prevent something Superk1's thing from happening again. I want to be very clear that 1) I think the good team played very well and earned their victory. Gabe's mid-game rebalancing was a valiant effort to keep the game fun. I enjoyed myself, even with everything going wrong for our team. XD 2) Gabe made a very fun game, and I was more than impressed and glad to be a part of it. 3) Please be sensitive to Superk1's feelings. He's a good guy, and will be a great player. I know it's frustrating to lose and it sucks when someone messes up. But please remember it's a game, he didn't mean to mess up, there were other factors in play, and it's not worth hurting relationships over.

That all being said.... We should try to prevent something like that from happening in future games. I have some ideas. I'm going to be PMing ShaynePC (the next host) to suggest some ideas. :)

Grats to good! Thanks to my team for giving it their best. Thanks to Gabe for the fun game.

Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '12-'16

Retired.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:28 pm 

Johnnyw256 wrote:
And thank you, Jonah, for using that kill!

No problem! :lol:

2014-2015 | Barnes/Spence
2015-2016 | Amedick/Barnes (2.0)
2016-2017 | Amedick/Barnes
2017-2018 | Amedick/Barnes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:40 pm 

I am eternally salty about this game. Also, this is the second game in a row that got broken by a mafia player giving away their entire unedited rpm. So.... maybe never ever ever ever do that ever again. Ever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:48 pm 

Sorry, I was really tired during the entire week, and so I couldn't just stop doing stuff, so I tried. But I forgot because I was tired because of various things that I couldn't control.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:40 pm 

Glad that people enjoyed it, even though it could have been more competitive. :P

Anyway, here are all the characters/powers (Shayne requested them):

Marina: Ultron. Had a night kill on even nights only, and a power that allowed her to control quicksilver or scarlet witch for a night (she killed Mr. E using this power). She was also invincible unless lynched.

Effervescent: Loki. Was evil, had a 3-time-use lawyer on herself. Also a night kill on odd nights only, plus a 3-tike-use redirect. Later on, she was going to get a convert, but she died.

Justin: Alexander Pierce. Had a lawyer, plus the ability to direct the Winter Soldier.

Superk1: Winter Soldier. had a night kill on even nights only that he could not control, plus the potential to turn good if Alexander died and Cap converted him.

Shayne: Crossbones. Had a 50/50 block.

Superstars: Cap. Had a protect and the ability to incapacitate Winter Soldier, and/or convert him if Alexander died.

Invisible Hand: Had a 50/50 protect, plus a 100% block. The block could only be used if he successfully lynched an evil player. If he lynched a good player at any time, he'd lose the power.

Mr. Glasses: Scarlet Witch. Starting night 3, could redirect powers to random player.

Mr. E: Quicksilver. Could die one time in the game, night or day, to protect another player. Later, he was the Vision, who could make any 50% power into a 100% power.

Jonah: Iron man. Had a one-time laser kill plus a 50/50 block. Any time he didn't use either of these, he had a 33% protect on himself.

Ginga Ninja: Hulk. Had a kill that targeted 3 players, and randomly killed one, starting night 2.

atshelton: Nick Fury. Had a lie detector that worked on statements made by other players on the thread about themselves, which only worked on even nights. Also had a one-time resurrect.

Brett: Coulson. Had an investigate, plus an ability to blast Loki, incapacitating him for several phases.

John Mark: Black Widow. Had an investigate.

Nerdripper: Jane Foster (lol, I just realized that you getting that character is very ironic XD). Could send players to another dimension once in the game for a few phases.

Evan: Maria Hill. Had two votes on the house floor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:41 pm 

I forgot. Hammy was ant man, and he had a power double that he could use three times in the game. :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:32 am 
I know not this "leverage" of which you speak.

I didn't use my power because it seemed rather useless. Too dangerous to use on a known mafia (random kill, also possibly negating a strategic protect) and counter-productive to use on a good player. Redirect an investigate? Bad idea.

It seems like a power best suited for a neutral or evil player to sow mischief and confusion. Those are things that good players want to avoid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:37 am 

LOL, that's kinda true. XD

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28